New Intel D 820: Lucky, or Taken for a Ride?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I just received an Intel Pentium D 820 (dual core, 2 X 2.8 GHz) CPU that I purchased on auction at Ebay. I'm wondering if: I've been misled and taken for a ride, 2) it was my own fault for not researching better, or 3) I'm lucky. OK, here are the facts:

The CPU has factory etched on it --

INTEL CONFIDENTIAL
QD OM ES MALAY (announcement shows "Qxxx ES")
HH8 0551PG0721M (announcement shows "HH80551PG0721MN")

CPU World identifies this CPU as an engineering sample, as designated by the "ES" on the identification etching. Below I've posted a partial page from the Ebay listing wherein I purchased the CPU. It states nearly exactly what the actual CPU ID is, except that the last three characters of QDOM are "xxx" on the auction announcement and the announcement has an "N" as the last digit of the identifier. Did this seller act honorable, by showing the "ES" in his add...and I should have just paid closer attention? For the sake of discussion, let's say it was my mistake, that the seller did not hide anything. OK, fine. Am I lucky? Does "engineering sample" mean the CPU multiplier(s) may be unlocked? Does it mean that as a pre-release CPU, it might be unstable or unrecognizable by the BIOS? Yes, I know I should probably wait to ask these questions until after testing the CPU, but my motherboard has not yet arrived. I want to start planning my strategy in case this turns out to be a poor performing CPU. (OK, no Intel slamming here. I know it won't keep pace with it's AMD counterpart. I also know it will heat half my house in the dead of winter. :D ) Here's a partial page from the auction advertisement:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...I'm wondering if:

I've been misled and taken for a ride...
    It is my understanding that engineering samples are not supposed to be re-sold. The seller may have been trying to make the fact that it was an engineering sample less obvious by merely noting it in the factory code description, while tipping off those "in the know".

It is also possible that he had no idea what he had to begin with.
    2) it was my own fault for not researching better...
    The only way I'd have caught that is if I were researching what exact core and stepping it was, otherwise I doubt I'd have noticed it myself. I would think that you have a great deal of company in just looking at the primary specs and not delving too deeply into the details.
    3) I'm lucky...
    My guess is that you probably are, depending on a few key things. The most important would be: When was this chip sent out for review? If it was a very early sample it's a crapshoot as to whether it will be entirely stable at its rated speed. If it was a later sample you basically have one of the extremely rare unlocked P4's and will likely get more out of it than you paid for. The only real way to tell is to fire that baby up (perhaps a poor choice of words in light of the fact that it is a P4 :p ) and see what you get out of it. A rigorous burn-in process should answer all of your questions. Personally, I'd recommend this program to put it through its paces. :cool:

username = scthoburn :vimp:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Personally, I'd recommend this program to put it through its paces.
    Uh....no kidding. :rolleyes:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    That was meant to be an inside joke. ;)
    edited December 2005
    yes, of course :D
    edited December 2005
    I just emailed the seller, informing him that he sold me an engineering sample. Citing Intel's online information, I told the seller this CPU was not supposed to be sold to consumers. I asked him if I can return it if it doesn't work well. His auction page guaranteed against DOA. Hope the seller is honorable. I'm fairly new to Ebay. I guess it's showing, isn't it.
    edited December 2005
    If it was a later sample you basically have one of the extremely rare unlocked P4's and will likely get more out of it than you paid for.
    That's looking doubtful. The only indication of any date of manufacture is a "04" etching. I don't know if that means manufacture or patent date. Let me just show everything etched on the CPU:

INTEL CONFIDENTIAL
    QD OM ES MALAY
    i(M)(C)'04 HH8 0551PG0721M
    L501B117 (04)
  • edited December 2005
    If I managed to score an ES chip I wouldn't be worrying about "Was he trying to dupe me?" instead I'd be worried about "When he realizes what he had he's going to pester me for it back" ;D

I agree that he was surreptitiously trying to sell an ES while letting those buying the proc know that it was in fact a very desirable CPU.

You got lucky in that no-one figured it out and tried to screw you out of it.
    edited December 2005
    You got lucky in that no-one figured it out and tried to screw you out of it.
    Ah, good. I'm feeling better. I've scoured the web and can't seem to find any negative opinions about engineering samples from users. Best I can make out so far is that this CPU is probalby multiplier locked. Heck, they put out so much heat, I don't think Intel would have wanted the first testers to heat them up even more.

But we'll see. My motherboard should arrive tomorrow. Let's hope it's in good shape. It's a "refurbished" MSI 945P Neo-F from Newegg. Let's also hope my 3-yr-old Robanton 600watt PSU has enough stable power for this energy thirsty beast. I had quit using the Robanton with my overclocked P4s because in HT full load the 12v rail was dropping down a little low, even though it's rated at 25amps. Other than that, the PSU seemed to be very good.
    If I managed to score an ES chip I wouldn't be worrying about "Was he trying to dupe me?"
    There are still several ES models available on Ebay, selling prices generally around $160 I think.
  • edited December 2005
    I'd love to get my hands on a 3.2 ES chip in sckt 478 trim...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I once met a man in a forum called Icrontic and this person teached me that cpu's mainboards, ram and gpu's could easily be overclocked and also that AMD cpu's where unlocked or could be unlocked fairly simply and that Intel cpu's where dead locked except for the Engineering samples. These Engineering samples can only be found on Ebay and through the manufacturing channels and is worth it's weight in gold for any enthusiasts. This guy was Leonardo with the big bird in his avatar watching over all of us other.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LEO, YOU MAY JUST HAVE SCORED A SUPER DEAL. TURN ON THE GOOD OLD OVERCLOCKING MODE IN YOU AND STOP BIOTCHING! THAT'S AN ORDER!

/me hides behind the mountains in the fjords
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I think Prof's post hit it squarely on the head while Mack summed up what course of action you should take. If the seller has a good rating (which I would assume you would not have even bidded if he didn't) you are good as gold. ;) The worst thing I see is that if you don't get the performance out of it you would like then you could put it on Ebay like the seller you got it from with the guaranteed no DOA. But you could advertise it as an ES chip and be no worse for wear on the deal! :D

BTW
    I think Mack realizes he is only a short polar flight away.
    * MackanzOCZ hides behind the mountains in the fjords
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    depends. I bought a pair of xeons that were ES samples and made the guy take them back. They were unlocked so that was cool but.... I wasnt OC'ing a dual xeon rig anyway. you also get no warranty from Intel. Is it worth it to you? My xeons were pretty pricey and I wanted a warranty. When I contacted Intel at first they were nice and when they found out I didnt have a NDA on file (you need one of those to legaly possess a ES cpu btw...) they asked me to hold for a moment and tech support transferred me. Next thing I know I'm talking to "Bob" with Intels legal department demanding to know where and from whom I had aquired the xeons since they are not supposed to ever be resold or used in a production environment as well as they carry no warranty at all.

My pair of 3.2 Nocona xeons were pricey and I expected a warranty when I purchased them.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    But you could advertise it as an ES chip and be no worse for wear on the deal! :D

Except it's not legal to resell those chips. Thats why no one advertises them as ES samples. Even if you had a NDA (non disclosure agreement) in place meaning you could possess them the NDA you signed promises you won't resell them or use them in a production system.

So your asking Leo to do something illegal. And other then MS I would guess Intel has the second most aggressive legal department as far as pursuing those that illegaly use or misuse) their products. And eBay is aggressive in trying to police that illegal products are not sold their and if your lucky they would just pull your auction and not turn you into Intel themselves.

Bad bad idea. If he has problems he is stuck or has to try and sell it as he aquired it which I think is sorta shady. And I just can't picture Leo doing anything of that sort knowing the kind or person he is.

Tex
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Have those chips gone into production? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on that.

I'd hang on to it I think you have a great deal if it works. ES are usually creme of the crop.
    edited December 2005
    Why? The only ones that would seem special would be the unlocked ones. And the later production ones would seem more likely to run cooler.

I have no idea how much the chip cost but is it worth having no Intel warranty if its not unlocked?

Tex
  • edited December 2005
    The 820 D has been in production for quite some time now.
  • edited December 2005
    I've yet to see an ES chip that wasn't unlocked, did you not say even your XEON's were unlocked as well?

As far as I've ever heard the only difference between a production chip and and ES chip is the fact that they are unlocked. That and the cores are usually hand binned.
  • edited December 2005
    Stopping to think about it, expecting to have a warranty on a second hand chip is being as dishonest as selling an ES is. When you purchase a new CPU from either manufacturer their policy states that they warranty the chip to the original owner only and it's non-transferable. Looking at the warranty on the A64 I'm building it states "This warranty is limited to the purchaser for only as long as he owns the processor or the computer it originally came in" or three years...

The upshot is that unless you're buying a CPU from a retailer you have no warranty rights anyways so you're on your own no matter what.
  • edited December 2005
    Leo, if that proc isn't DOA and you send it back I personally will drive up to Alaska and kick your butt! :tongue2: Man, you are some kind of lucky, getting an ES.

OK with that said, now we open up the Intel ES school for you. There are 2 kinds of Intel ES procs. First, they have the totally unlocked ES procs, which are rarer than hen's teeth. They are initial runs and may or may not overclock well, but should run at least at their rating with no problem. Secondly, and much more common, are the partially unlocked ES procs. These will be unlocked through a certain range of multipliers, say like 14 through 16 maybe. These ES procs are commonly sent out to major OEM's like Dell or HP and also to the motherboard manufacturers and they are used for qualifying motherboards and systems for use with this line of processors. The reason they do this is economics; it's much easier to send out 1 processor that can run a variety of speeds to qualify multiple speed versions of the same series proc than sending out a handful of different speed procs to all the different major OEM's and the motherboard manufacturers. I'm betting that the second series of partially unlocked proc is what you are getting. And that is good, as any multiplier that Intel has enabled on that chip will be stable at a 200 fsb and default vcore. So if the unlocked range is 14-16, then that processor can run at 820, 830 or 840 speeds (2.8, 3.0 or 3.2 GHz).

Prof, you are kind of off-base, with your statement about ES procs being a crapshoot on stability. They will be perfectly stable within their designed operating parameters. Since they mainly are used for motherboard and system qualification, they have to be. Now they might not overclock too well but at the default unlocked multi's they will be stable. Even the very early totally unlocked procs you will find now should be totally stable at it's rated speed, as very few totally unlocked ES procs will even get to leave an Intel lab. They got burnt in the P3 1.0 fiasco several years ago and they are a lot more cautious about something like that happening again, where they had to pull an entire new line because of instability.

If it's not DOA and you decide you don't want it, let me know, Lynn. I will take it off your hands. :D
    edited December 2005
    yes they were unlocked.

At work we have experianced some instabilitys with early ES chips in the past.

Tex
  • edited December 2005
    Tex wrote:
    yes they were unlocked.

At work we have experianced some instabilitys with early ES chips in the past.

Tex

How long ago, Tex? And also, some production motherboards won't play nice with an ES because of the unlocked or partially unlocked processors, especially server boards. As you well know, a server board generally isn't designed to do any overclocking and an unlocked multi can throw the bios a loop it doesn't know how to handle.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Interesting find Leo.. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I am very interested to see how it operates. I agree with mudd, Intel is very careful about allowing unstable processors outside of its plants as of late. I doubt stability will be an issue. If it turns out to be unlocked you have a real gem there. If the warranty is a concern, I would return it. I just hope the seller is reputable and willing to provide a refund/exchange.

In any case, lets see some screenshots :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Except it's not legal to resell those chips. Thats why no one advertises them as ES samples. Even if you had a NDA (non disclosure agreement) in place meaning you could possess them the NDA you signed promises you won't resell them or use them in a production system.

So your asking Leo to do something illegal. And other then MS I would guess Intel has the second most aggressive legal department as far as pursuing those that illegaly use or misuse) their products. And eBay is aggressive in trying to police that illegal products are not sold their and if your lucky they would just pull your auction and not turn you into Intel themselves.

Bad bad idea. If he has problems he is stuck or has to try and sell it as he aquired it which I think is sorta shady. And I just can't picture Leo doing anything of that sort knowing the kind or person he is.

Tex

Saying Intel will go after Leo for his chip is like saying Microsoft is going to go after every person who has an illegal copy of Windows XP! An ES chip is a once in a life time find unless you are able to score them from the manufacture. I know I got myself a few Pent 4 ES chips awhile ago from Intel... even than I wasn't prompted to sign a NDA or do anything legal! They said here is the chips! now take in mind I did give those space heaters back only because I am a huge AMD guy, but the fact is Leo if you keep the chip I am sure you will have no issues....and my ES chips were unlocked :) I think i had one core going at 98C :) it was a melt down :)
    edited December 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Why? The only ones that would seem special would be the unlocked ones. And the later production ones would seem more likely to run cooler.

I have no idea how much the chip cost but is it worth having no Intel warranty if its not unlocked?

Tex

I checked at the egg and they retail for $245 ...I'm sure they were probably a bit more a while back. Since he's not overclocking it's not necessary to have it unlocked. If it proves stable I think he's got a great deal on dual core.

I have to agree though if it is unlocked it would sure be more valuable ...
    edited December 2005
    All of your replies have been pertinent and helpful. Great pool of knowledge and experience, guys. Thank you very much. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Now, let's just wait for the motherboard to arrive and for some time to play with this. The best news is that my wife is not upset that I just ordered up another small buffet of computer parts. "Where are you going to put it?," she asked me, referring to this new build. I replied, "I don't know yet." I'd like to put it in my home office with Systems 1 and 3, but it's a third floor room that already gets pretty warm from the first and second floors' heat rising and the other two overclocked P4s. ...but that's another story.

Quick comments --

Not concerned about lack of warranty. I've never experienced a CPU failure, AMD or Intel (or Cyrix :eek: )

Good overclocker/unlocked multipliers? Sure, if I can overclock it and don't have to put it in a freezer to cool it, then yes, I will have some fun.

I'll post progress with this machine when I get all my parts in.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    sound good Leo... let us know what this bad boy can do!
    edited December 2005
    You'll probably melt alaska with that thing. Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    csimon wrote:
    You'll probably melt alaska with that thing. Good luck! :thumbsup:
    No, no, no! Alaskan's don't live in igloos. Because the Polar Bears discovered that inside the crunchy shells are tasty morsels. ;D
    edited December 2005
    System is built now and is running very smoothly. Check it out.