Looking for a TFT.

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
My faithful and good quality Sony P1110 Trinitron seems to be slowly dying, albiet very slowly, it's still dying and kinda annoying and a few res' tend to look slightly out of focus which makes my eyes hurt too. Few issues with it are that getting the convergance correct everywhere and being a perfectionist it kinda drives me loopy. Another weird issue is that if the screen is too cold when I turn it on, it whiirrs quietly and slowly starts going out of focus. Sometimes it will make a click sound and correct itself, but other times I have to turn it off for a few sections and turn it back on, and even then this process may repeat till it has warmed up enough. Some low res' on it also cause it to make an annoying high pitched noise, so yeah, I think it's dying.

AAAAnyway, onto the question. I thought I may as well get a TFT so that way I can take it to LANs easier (you try hauling this 21" 5 ton monster ANYWHERE, nevermind through the LADDER you have to climb to get in/out of my room) and will make general life easier as I spend more time doing work than gaming or anything.

There were just a few things that put me off TFTs before though, added to the experience of my laptop TFT kinda put me off completely, but using a very nice 17" Dell TFT at a friends house made me think twice. The issues I have are...

1) I won't accept a single dead pixel, not after having to live with it on my laptop (two bright green ones directly above each other just off center :mad: ).
2) They used to look pants at any res other than native (try 800x600 or something on one, you'll see parts of the text look... pixel doubled slightly). This is kinda a big one because I can't run at the native res "all" the time as some things require a lower res). Lots of people don't seem to notice this but it is one of the first things I notice and is highly annoying as it is much an anomaly in my eyes as artifacting so it drives me mad.
3) 1280x1024 doesn't exactly seem that awsome as I tend to use 1600x1200 in some games.
4) Price.
5) Ghosting in general, such as titles scrolling down a screen would look awful or, one example I remember was GTA2 where the place name would scroll down the screen in a box at the top and the horizontal lines would flash like hell and look awful as if it was interlaced or something). Another example would be on my laptop when I scroll up text on say Google, it will ghost horribly, or if I scroll something with lighter text it is actually invisible while I am scrolling until I stop.

So, thoughts, ideas and things to quell my worries? My budget is probably around £200/£300, so I am looking for something to last quite some time and due to my anal nature, to be rather good...

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    so in US dollars it's about $530 max that you want to spend. 1280x1024 isn't going to cut it for you, so you need a 20" or larger lcd. do you want widescreen (1680x1050) or regular 4:3 (1600x1200)?

things to consider....HDCP support for vista? do you want this? if so the only pc monitor with it right now that i can find is this gateway 21" widescreen...but it's $600 US.

http://www.gateway.com/programs/lcd/index.shtml?cmpid=index*home*Products*21lcd*programs/lcd/index~~shtml

if HDCP isn't important to you, try a dell 2005fpw widescreen lcd. wait for a deal and you can score one for under $450 no problem. there are always coupons for these every week or so floating around the net.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=20053YR&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=6198&cs=19&l=en&Page=productlisting.aspx

if you want 4:3, then i would go with this samsung....or dell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001194

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=20013YR&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=5194&cs=19&l=en&Page=productlisting.aspx
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited December 2005
    Werd, I use a Dell 2005FPW and its great. Native res is 1600x1050 (widescreen) 12ms response, and great color definition. The thing is sharp and bright.

You can get them for around ~$300 or so if you can find a slick deal....

I would check slickdeals.net regularily as if it does go on sale for that price it will be on the front page.

I wanted to add how much I HATE dell as a company, but they do sell some great monitors!

In fact I just picked up one of their 42' plazma monitors and I love it. It is sooo awesome.

But if you ever have to deal with customer service issues from Dell, expect to be treated like straight up sh1t.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Ok, I'm going to have to make one thing clear. You can't directly translate US prices to UK£, it doesn't work. Firstly we have 17.5% VAT Tax on everything, then stuff in general is just more expensive anyway. Availability is also an issue. Coupons and stuff like you have main-in-rebates over there just don't happen here, so don't assume something will ever be on offer, as it probably wont be.

I have been put off Dell TFTs because it seems they are the worst out of all TFTs for "backlight bleeding" which is uneven backlight lighting.

I'd prefer a 4:3 TFT as I am going to be doing things which aren't at native resolution, and TFTs make things look bad enough as is without them having to do more dodgy resizing of the image. I couldn't give a rats about HDCP support to be honest as it just sounds like another Microsoft gimmick. I'm using Linux and old Windows stuff more often than not now.

The Dell 2005FPW from the Dell site here is £504 ($892) which is a "tad" out of my price range to say the least, hence my comment about trying to work out how much I have to spend in dollars, I'm not in the US.

I can't even look that Gateway up as they don't even give a model number, just "Widescreen 21"" Wow... descriptive of them.

I don't like the idea of the 21/20" monitors at the moment as they seem to have quite horrid response times.

The Samsung SyncMaster 204T 20'' is £401 so that is out. I could possibly get the Dell UltraSharp 2001FP but the 400:1 contrast ratio and "Edgelight system" bother me as it tends to make the screen look grey and not particually nice.

Any other ideas?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    ok, point taken about US $ to UK £. i guess you'll have to track down the monitors on your own then or ask our other UK members where to shop. is there any type of UK equivalent to slickdeals.net? no coupons suck...

if you go lower than 20" you will drop down to a 1280x1024 native res.....is that acceptable?

if so, there are plenty of very nice 19" lcd's with low response times, etc...

ViewSonic VX922, 2ms
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx922/

ViewSonic VX924, 3ms
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx924/

SAMSUNG 930BF, 4ms
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19BIDKBVXAA.asp

SAMSUNG 940b, 8ms
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19HABKBXAA.asp
    edited December 2005
    Whoa that sux...

One note on the backlight issue, the first one they sent did that, but I called and complained, and they sent me a new one. The second one does not have the problem.

But I figured you could somehow get your currency converted to USD and buy one on credit or something in the states. That sux they gouge you guys like that.

Maybe you could pay someone here in the states somehow and they would mail it to you. There are definately people here at S-M I would trust not to rip me off. But then again, its not like if they do you can just drive there and kick his a$$ ;D

Personally I didnt see the bleeding issue as that big of a problem. You cant even see it most of the time, only when the screen is black.

Response time is really not an issue either. I can barely tell the difference between this and my 21inch CRT. I would definately rather play on the tft because the picture is so much brighter and more colorful.

my 2¢. I dont know what that translates to in your currency though ;D
    edited December 2005
    1280x1024 on 19" seems a little... bad ratio wise to be honest. 1600x1200 would be nice. 1280x1024 is also widescreen... but it seems there aren't any low ms 1600x1200 LCDs for less than a fortune... grrr
    FormFactor wrote:
    But I figured you could somehow get your currency converted to USD and buy one on credit or something in the states. That sux they gouge you guys like that.

I'd get hit with 20% import tax and other charges as well as shipping.
    FormFactor wrote:
    Personally I didnt see the bleeding issue as that big of a problem. You cant even see it most of the time, only when the screen is black.

It is a problem to me and bothers me quite a lot.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    1280x1024 is actually 4:3...

i agree though---a 19", 1600x1200, 8ms or lower with analog, dvi, component, s-video inputs for under $500 (or £300) would be nice. :D
    edited December 2005
    Hmm, I may have found a possible, what do you all think of this one?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91494&_LOC=UK

Does anyone know of any others though? The response time is still 24ms so it's not that great...
    edited December 2005
    The specs look pretty good, but I'm always leary about those brands Ive never heard of... Just make sure you can return it if your not satisfied jic.

Curious, approxamately how much in USD would £289.99 be?
    edited December 2005
    ~$513
    edited December 2005
    Hmm, can anyone work out if the response time of that monitor I posted is 12 or 24? It says 12ms GtG but then it says 12ms Rise, 12ms Fall, now isn't that 24ms?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Hmm, can anyone work out if the response time of that monitor I posted is 12 or 24? It says 12ms GtG but then it says 12ms Rise, 12ms Fall, now isn't that 24ms?

A pixel only has to go up or down - not both. Some monitors are slower one way than the other - they're just making sure you know their monitor is the same both directions.
    edited December 2005
    hmmm, so the question now is do I go for the more expensive 12ms 20" with 1600x1200 display, or the potentially better quality 19" with lower 2/3ms response times but only 1280x1024 screenmode? grr...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    You won't see ghosting at 12ms.
    edited December 2005
    hmm, I wonder how bad my laptops display must be then for it to have the ghosting that I talked about before as well as very uneven lighting and blacks looking almost like silver unless I tilt it backwards but then things are too dark... grr.
    edited December 2005
    Oh btw, this is the one I am tempted to buy now. That just leaves dead pixels as my only worry....
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14090694839&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91494
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Looks good and has nice supporting reviews.
    edited December 2005
    Well, I got the LCD and it seems nice. Good colours, even, etc. Only one dead pixel (red) on the lower left part of the screen and only visible on white.

But... one issue. The screen seems to ghost HORRIBLY if the moving thing is black on a coloured background. Black moving on white or visa versa is fine, but say you have black blocks or writing moving on a coloured background such as light orange, purple or something then it ghosts horribly. /me sighs

So much for a "non-issue" :(
    edited December 2005
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to send it back? Because this ghosting really is severe and considering 12ms was supposed to be a "non-issue" I don't think they were telling the truth by a mile (wish I could take a screen-cap, but that doesn't quite work, heh). Yay for £350's of garbage.
    edited December 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    ...Just make sure you can return it if your not satisfied jic...

Dude that sux! I always check the return policy before buy jic.

I hate to say I told you so, but I really did.
    edited December 2005
    No-where here that I know of offers a "return it if you don't like it" policy if you've opened the packaging.

The response time is **** and no-where near 12, hell, it doesn't even seem near 40, so they better take it back as I sure as hell didn't spend a load of cash on a 60ms screen.

And is it really that hard to type out the words "Just in case"?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Man, i wish i saw this thread earlier. 12ms grey-grey or white-white is around 24 true ms. I bet that it doesn't ghost when a red ball is bouncing around on a light-red area.

I would do anything to return that screen.

Viewsonic VX924
    Xerox XA7-19i
    Samsung SyncMaster 193P
    NEC MultiSync 1970GX
    Dell 1905FP

Those are all 19 inch screens that i have tested myself that is worth mentioning.
    Unless you need 1600X1200, 19 inch should be your best bet in terms of portability and size of the work area. Personally, i have 2 of those Xerox screens and they have close to none ghosting, but they are very strong-lighted. I suggest you use a source of light behind the monitor cause in pitch black, your eyes will hurt after a couple of hours.

The Dell goes for 290 sterling after instant rebates. The others should be close to that or a little less.
    edited December 2005
    I'm not sure if your above was a typo, but I tried dragging a Red square around a pink background and it ghosted HORRIBLY, then tried dragging the red square around a white background and very little ghosting. Tried dragging a red block on a black background and that was like white too.

Why is it so crap when its on something OTHER than black or white?

I have been looking at the monitors on Toms Hardware lately as they have their own pixel response test and it's interesting to see what things are compared to what they say (i.e. some of the "4ms" ones are really 27ms, etc).

So yeah, are one of the decent 19"s likely to be substancially better than this screen?

Just tried dragging a red square around a dark grey screen and it was AWFUL, it had to be in the hundreds. Really, I could almost draw a figure of eight at once. It was like using a sparkler, not to mention the top line of pixels of the red box were pink(!).
    edited December 2005
    I know the feeling..i get sick playing on those screens. The NEC 19 inch is a really good screen, but i might cost a bit. The Dell is VERY popular among lan gamers. The Xerox have that type of glare screen you know..some like that, some don't. I like it.
    edited December 2005
    I'm looking for the best 19" I can get for ALL-round usage under £350, assuming I can send this screen back so if you can narrow the above down somehow. I have hawk-eyes so the less ghosting the better. Any ideas on how to go about sending it back would be appreciated.
    edited December 2005
    I'm not sure abotu the laws in the UK, but here, we have 14 days to regret the purchase if the product didn't do what was promised.
    edited December 2005
    Ok, the online returns section of eBuyer gives me the following options:

DOA
    Damaged in Transit
    Wrong item ordered
    Wrong item delivered
    Faulty under waranty
    Duplicate order
    Item not required

I mean none of these are really that accurate to be honest...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Ok, the online returns section of eBuyer gives me the following options:

DOA
    Damaged in Transit
    Wrong item ordered
    Wrong item delivered
    Faulty under waranty
    Duplicate order
    Item not required

I mean none of these are really that accurate to be honest...
    "Item not required" seems to fit, seeing as you have no need for a goblinesque monitor. :)
    edited December 2005
    Well, I've filled in eBuyers online RMA form with a complete explanation and serial number, now I have to wait and see if they will "accept" my RMA.
    edited December 2005
    They've accepted the RMA request so now it's time to find a new monitor... I keep getting conflicting information from everyone I speak to and today I traveled around EVERY electronics store in and around Worcester and none of them had anything remotely good (most places just had unbadged or Philips screens, 1 or 2 Samsungs in the entire trip) so not sure what to do now. I don't really want to buy another 21" CRT, but... arg.