socket 939 $$$ $$$ "best for money"

lastsightlastsight Miami/Miramar
edited January 2006 in Hardware
what would be the best socket 939 motherboard that money could buy..

Comments

• JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2005
    One that is good, Next question.

Really, I don't know, From what I hear, 939s have yet to produce an NF-7 quality board.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    A lot of it depends on how you define "best".

A year ago I bought the best 939 MB for me, the K8N Neo2 Platinum. I wanted stability and dual-channel memory more than anything else.

What features do you value most? What can you just absolutely not live without? What do you plan on using the rig for? What hardware do you already own that you'd like to use with the new board?

I'm not the world's foremost expert on every aspect of MB design, but answer those questions and I'm betting that you'll get some terrific advice here from those who are. :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    The DFI lanparty line of motherboards are awesome, as are pretty much any Asus board.

The main thing you will want to look is the nForce 4 ( older nForce 3 ) chipsets.

My Asus A8n Deluxe is a very stable board, ive only had 1 bios issue, lol, with it. any one who has seen my post about that already knows. but I highly recommend that board, as well as its nwe big brother the A8N32.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited December 2005
    i've got the lan party board and it's excellent.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    DFI lanparty series
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I just got the Asus A8R:MVP ...I'll can let you know by the end of the weekend how it is.
  • edited December 2005
    I like the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Nice board with a few slight quirks.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Just look at my sig. :cool:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited December 2005
    DFI or Asus
    Abit
    (Epox) :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    DFI or Asus
    Abit
    (Epox) :)
    Did I miss something somewhere. You're no longer the big Epox proponent you once were? I'm not poking fun here. We all change our opinions as technology progresses.
    edited December 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Did I miss something somewhere. You're no longer the big Epox proponent you once were? I'm not poking fun here. We all change our opinions as technology progresses.
    Nope - still the great Epox Fan (Still running a Epox 9NDA3+ mobo). But I've noted that in current NF4 mobos, DFI, Asus and Abit place heatsinks on the CPU Power circuitry whereas EPoX doesn't. A minor point but it's there.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I must admit that the Asus A8R-MVP is a wonderful board ...especially for overclocking. The only fault I can find with it is that it doesn't allow enough vcore for me to take this processor "all the way" into the danger zone.
    If you've never considered an Ati chipset because of anything you've ever heard about them ...just forget all you've heard. This board is highly overlooked by many and I'd be willing to bet that the next generation of Ati chipsets will be nothing less that spectacular.
    Asus chose to use the Uli southbridge on this board and they did so because of issues with the previous option by Ati. And even though nVidia has purchased Uli it doesn't matter because Ati had already improved on the southbridge on their own and it was to appear on the next generation of chipsets anyway.
    All in all I'd have to give this board a 9/10 based on the things that I like about a board. And I do love this board as much if not more than my retired NF7-Sv2. Just don't tell Asus ...I still want them to give me more vcore!
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited December 2005
    I'm pretty sure what lastsight wants is almost the best stock parts he could buy. (AFAIK) He doesn't know much about overclocking so a stable board would probably be best.

He'll be using the computer to play games, mostly WoW. He had a Lanparty NF4 SLi-DR board picked out already though, I think that will be fine.

EDIT: Oh yeah... As you could probably tell from the first post, money isn't really an object.
    edited December 2005
    In that case grab either the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI Expert or Asus A8N32X-SLI. The two best boards currently available.

As for the ATI chipset mobos I'll wait for the 600 series SouthBridge and some long term usage data (6-12months)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2005
    IN my opinion...it goes like this:
    DFI
    MSI/EPOX
    asus
    abit
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    dfi lanparty series are the best out as far as overclocking is concerned, my shuttle oced pretty well too if you would ever thing of gooing sff.
  • lastsightlastsight Miami/Miramar
    edited January 2006
    just look at my signature i'll have that by the summer my friend says its a waist of money but if im not buying it it doesnt matter but should i get something else ???:cheers:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Why are you using enterpirse level harddrives in a home pc :confused: .

You will get almost as good proformence from 150GB raptors for less money... and you wont have to buy an expensive scsi controler card.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I'd go with a 7800gtx over dual 7800gt's.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    I would say that ASUS and DFI are relitavely tied as far as the best 939 boards. Most benchmarks that compair them show that they both lose and win to eachother. The only plus DFI has over ASUS is that they have more overclocking fetures.