CD copying Speed and rate

GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi All,

I usually back up all CD's that I buy onto my HD. I use WMP 9 to do it, and I have the copy rate set to 128 Kbps ("or about 56 MB per CD").

Should I burn at a higher rate? Lower? I find that every so often my car's deck won't read a song (only happened twice, actually, but it is a nuisance). Also, Every once in a while I hear a slight chirping in the background.

Any recommendations as to whether I should lower the burn speed or the CD drive speed? SHould I increase the copy rate above?

I have an LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM Model GSA-4081B, if it matters.

Thanks!

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I've had to burn at very slow speeds for decks to play right. The older the deck, the slower the needed burn rate.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited December 2005
    Thanks! :thumbsup: I'll try to find how WMP slows the burn rate- or maybe I should use my Nero, which I think can be custom-set...
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    If you're ripping CDs, you should definitely increase the bitrate. I would swear by using the LAME encoder (3.97 beta 1 is very good - much better than the common 3.93), and using the --APS (alt-preset standard). The file sizes will be more proportional, and honestly, it's not a whole lot worse than a lossless or original file. 128 is too low. I'd also suggest CDex or EAC to rip.

You also may want to look into getting a new burner? I know my burner can burn at 52x, and it works fine for data. But for mp3/audio CDs, it'll get little skips (that chirping). I can also tell you that my burner has gotten less and less reliable (screwing up normal burns, etc). I think the older they get and more often they're used, the CD tends to vibrate more than the laser can account for.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited December 2005
    Thanks, Entropy. I'll check out these prog's first thing after some shuteye- new baby makes Guyute tired!!!

What got me thinking about finally doing something is that Phish' website offers downloadable shows in MP3 or "FLAC", and since FLAC was a new acronym to me, I started reading about it...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Good MP3s in 3 steps
    Use LAME.
    Use 192-256 q0 VBR.
    Never use WMP again.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited December 2005
    Thanks. BTW when I tried to install WInamp it said that AOL owns the prog; is this going to cause me unbelievable grief with spyware?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Use the LAME encoder with Exact Audio Copy. 192kbps should be more than enough- even hardcore audiophiles can't tell the difference above 192. And, as Thrax mentioned, use VBR.