Two computers, one mouse and keyboard?

metomeyametomeya New
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Okay this might sound crazy, but I think i'm going to build two computers, and use both at the same time...........ya i'm nuts..........

anyways I figure I'll have two monitors at same size right next to each other, but what I really need to figure out is............a good keyboard and mouse to share between the two.

Ya, so one keyboard one mouse, but I need something that can switch between the two.......any ideas?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    KVM switch.
  • edited December 2005
    Yep, I've been using 2 kvm switches for about 3 years now. I have a 4 port Iogear and a 2 port Linkskey. Both are ps2 type switches and both have worked well since I've had them.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2005
    KVM switch is the easiest way to go for sure.
    I have 4 hooked up together with 1 Keyboard,Video and Mouse. Sally has 5 set up the same. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Yea, KVM switch good idea thought just years late :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Kvm :d
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    KVM switch. I've run as many as four systems off of one KVM. What type monitor do you use? If you are using DVI flat panel, you will need a DVI KVM, unless you wish to use the VGA port off or your monitor. DVI has a sharper picture. Most DVMs are still the VGA standard, but are less expensive than the DVI versions. Check out Ebay as well. I've seen VGA KVM switches with the cable sets going for very low! Make sure that whatever version and brand you decide on: 1) check that the KVM comes with the cable sets (expensive if purchased separately) and, 2) that you read reviews. Some KVM switches are highly problematic. The reviews posted at Newegg in the KVM pages are frank, some of them quite blistering.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If you aren't playing games on both at the same time then you could save money and just use VNC (lets you view the other machine through a window on your desktop (or fullscreen) and thus have complete control over it.

I wont say KVM for the Eigth time as I'm sure you know what it is called by now.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    VNC (lets you view the other machine through a window on your desktop (or fullscreen)
    Ohh... Now that's something that interests me! I just switched to DVI and don't have a DVI KVM and didn't want to put up the money for one. Thanks! :D
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited December 2005
    I just bought this KVM from Newegg at the end of November. I'm running 4 computers off of it and it works wonderfully!!

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817107602
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Since you're thinking of two monitors, you may be instested in a software fix. I have three systems at work. I use Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/index.html) to handle both computers. You'll still need the KVM in case synergy buggers up, and it does every now and again. However, this little program lets you move to the other monitors by moving your mouse off screen (up, down, left, right) just like using Windows with one system and two monitors. Oh, and it's free.