Help!! Crash & Reboot

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hi. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500 2.21Ghz, 1024 Ram, WinXp Sp2, 2 Hd 80 Gb Sata, Cooler Zalman, MSI k8n Neo 2 Platinum, 256 Mb Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage and i use an UPS.
My computer is constantly crashing and reeboting. When im navigating on internet it can statys more time without doing that. Im going crazy...Can somebody help me? I try doing the memtest but it was going on 3h so i interrupt it because someone told it only takes 1 or 2.
Msi has that Core Center and when i turn it on it says that my cpu has an abnormal temperature and it starts a count down to turn my computer off.
Can somebody help me?

ps: sorry for my bad english

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2005
    it sounds like its over heating. What temps is it running at. You can see that in the bios or there should be a windows utility that came with the motherboard on a cd.
  • edited December 2005
    CPU temp now is about 40, 41´C...yesterday it was in 50
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    try removing your zalman hsf, clean the thermal compound off of your cpu and hsf with some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth, re-apply a fresh coat of artic silver 5 (or other thermal compound) to the cpu, and finally re-install the zalman hsf. repeat if necessary to make sure you are making good contact between cpu and hsf!
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2005
    ryko wrote:
    try removing your zalman hsf, clean the thermal compound off of your cpu and hsf with some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth, re-apply a fresh coat of artic silver 5 (or other thermal compound) to the cpu, and finally re-install the zalman hsf. repeat if necessary to make sure you are making good contact between cpu and hsf!

agreed, however your temps are well with in acceptable limits. Is your heat sink fan plugged into the right fan header on the motherboard. Sometimes if the bios is reading 0 rpm for the HSF on the cpu it will act all nutty.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    I have the same MB that you do and I really like it. One thing I'd mention is that, while the board is great, the add-on programs from MSI leave something to be desired. I'd recommend getting rid of all of them.

The worst culprit is the "Cool 'n Quiet" business. Theoretically it will crank your CPU down to a slower speed (the "cool" part), thus allowing it to drop the rpm of the fans (the "quiet part). In real-world use all it does is cause your system to oscillate wildly from fast to slow, creating a huge amount of problems. When I first built this system I was shaking my head and wondering if I had a dud on my hands. Once I disabled the C&Q junk it took off like a rocket. :D
  • edited December 2005
    Sometimes when is the first time i turn on my computer it freezes when loading windows..Still a overheating prob?
    Sometimes when it freezes theres a beeeeeeeep coming out the speakers.
  • edited December 2005
    Bios temp
    Sys temp 22C
    Cpu (?) temp 42C
    edited December 2005
    davsmedhot wrote:
    Sometimes when is the first time i turn on my computer it freezes when loading windows..Still a overheating prob?
    Sometimes when it freezes theres a beeeeeeeep coming out the speakers.
    It could well be. Your CPU would be totally fried in about two seconds if you had no HS/F at all. With a low fan speed it could certainly get very hot in a small amount of time.

davsmedhot wrote:
    so what have u done with your corecenter ?
    I don't let it run automatically on startup. You're better off with a program like Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry, but what can i do about it? I still have some thermal stuff to put in the amd processor.
    edited December 2005
    My computer is constantly crashing and reeboting. When im navigating on internet it can statys more time without doing that.
    That sounds exactly like the Cool & Quiet stuff. When you're using the machine it allows things to run at a higher speed. Once you let the system drop to an idle state it kicks in and then the problems start. Have you been running the Cool & Quiet program? If so, disable it.

The temperatures you listed in Post #8 look fine.

Another thing: Check your BIOS settings for the temperatures at which the system automatically shuts down and what the setting for shutdown on low fan speed is. Post those numbers here.

Has your system locked up on you since you started this thread?
  • edited December 2005
    What do u mean by Locked up ? Freeze ? Since i started this thread my computer rebooted twice..freezing none
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    is it shutting down, or rebooting?

if its rebooting you need to do this

right click my computer->properties->advanced->start up and recovery settings-> and under system failure turn OFF automaticly restart on error

that will force the machine to display a BSOD instead of instantly rebooting if there is a hard ware problem. If you get a BSOD write down what it says and post it up. Ive seen BSOD usually from a failing HDD or bad RAM

btw memtest takes ~ 24hours per stick of ram.
    edited December 2005
    What does it say in the BIOS about shutdown temperatures?
  • edited December 2005
    I had a very similar problem and it was bad ram.
  • edited December 2005
    Sys temp 22/ 68C (this is the shutdown temp ?)
    Cpu temp 42/111C
  • edited December 2005
    Cool n´quite is enable in Bios. Should i disable it ?
    edited December 2005
    All the other things are well worth checking out, but I'd bet the problem lies here:
    davsmedhot wrote:
    ...Msi has that Core Center and when i turn it on it says that my cpu has an abnormal temperature and it starts a count down to turn my computer off...
    Since his temps look fine, I'm betting it's just that flaky program shutting him down by mistake.

I just opened the sucker to take a screen shot, but never got that far. First Core Center locked up on me; I couldn't close it, minimize it, or get into the settings tab. I killed it in Task Manager, only to have the rascal open itself back up and give me the (false) alarm nonsense. :shakehead

davsmedhot: Click Start>>>Run, type in msconfig, click OK, then go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything related to MSI. Reboot and see if your problem goes away. :)
    edited December 2005
    davsmedhot wrote:
    Cool n´quite is enable in Bios. Should i disable it ?
    Yes! :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    Ive already disabled Cool n´Quiet and changes that option about "that will force the machine to display a BSOD instead of instantly rebooting if there is a hard ware problem. If you get a BSOD write down what it says and post it up. Ive seen BSOD usually from a failing HDD or bad RAM"
    In startup there wasnt anything related to MSI
    edited December 2005
    Cross your fingers and let's see what happens. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks everyone for helping me...
    edited December 2005
    davsmedhot wrote:
    Thanks everyone for helping me...
    Does that mean it's fixed? :)
  • edited December 2005
    Im afraid not...It didnt freeze anymore. But i had to reboot twice..Some blue scrreen appears but i forgot the copy what it says
    edited December 2005
    davsmedhot wrote:
    ...Some blue screen appears but i forgot the copy what it says
    The next time it happens, write it down and let us know. :)
  • edited January 2006
    The Blue Screen says that there is a problem with the file SYMFW.SYS (PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Can you get into Windows, or does this screen completely block you?? That file it is talking about is a Symantec Firewall Filter file.... It should NOT be using Window's reserved memory areas, which is what the error is telling you is happening.
  • edited January 2006
    The screen blocks me...i have to restar teh computer...what should i do to resolve this?
  • edited January 2006
    Other blue screen - Driver IRQL Not LESS Or EQUAL
  • edited January 2006
    Does anybody know the reason for those blue screens ?
    edited January 2006
    Straight_Man covered the first one. As for the Driver IRQL Not LESS Or EQUAL, what does it say after that?

I'd try reinstalling your Symantec stuff for starters.