Help with Fan for Dell 4600 cpu fan

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I heard that some heat sinks on dells on unique. I really dont want to mess up my 4600 and im not sure on what I can do. Can I replace the heatsink on the cpu with another heatsink/fan. If I can, what type of heatsink/fan must I replace it with. Thankyou for any help

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    4600? Optiplex? Sorry, I 'm not too familiar with Dells outside of their business models. Can you find us a link to your computers manual? That way we could take a look at the heatsink, and more importantly, it's mounting hardware and motherboard.

Why would you want to replace the heatsink or the heatsink's fan?
  • edited December 2005
    Dell systems are kind of weird. My 4600 dimension has a huge heatsink that has no fan on top of it and it has an air duck which direct air to an exhaust fan. Heres a link with the specs. I want to replace it so I can lower my overall system temeperature. Besides that the main exhaust fan is so noisy.

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/techov.htm#1084976
    edited December 2005
    OK, it's a Dimension. Sorry, I should have known that. I think the cooling is nearly the same as an Octiplex, that is a case mounted-fan draws air off of the CPU heatsink through a duct. At least on the Octiplex computers, it's actually a very efficient system, and very quiet. Actually, that is one are where Dell has impressed me. Noisy, you say? Has it always been that way? Noisy and Dell are just two words that often heard together. Have you considered replacing the case-mounted fan? There are many different that you could replace it with. Does the inside of your computer look similar to this?
    edited December 2005
    Is the noise emanating from the exhaust fan or from the back of the power supply unit? Also, what size is the rear exhaust fan? Measure accross and tell is its size in milimeters. It will either be roughly 92mm or 120mm.
  • edited December 2005
    it kind of looks like the picture you showed. The noice is definately comming from the exhaust fan. And it is approximately 90mm. And the noise has gotten worse with time. I think the fan is near the end of its lifecycle