Motherboard power problems!!!

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys

i'm using the asus a8n-sli deluxe for my first build. I got it up and running and had windows installed in a few hours.

The next day when i went to turn on my comp it would not start. I opened it up and checked all the connections and they seemed fine. I thought maybe the power supply was my problem but the green led light on the Motherboard was lighting up but none of the fans or anything were working.

I went out and bought another power supply and it was the same problem. The thing is if I dont push the 24 pin connector all the way down on the Motherboard i can get my fans running but as soon as its cliped in the fans stop. I'm thinking of returning the motherboard for another but i was wondering if maybe it could be something else.

thanks in adavnce!

Comments

• fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited December 2005
    if it's a new motherboard then there's no harm in getting a replacement. It certainly sounds like there's something wrong with the power connectors, especially since you've checked it with a different PSU.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    I've seen lots of strange things like that happen out of the blue.. since you ruled out the power supply, I'd recommend trying the following two things before getting the motherboard replaced..

1) Remove the CMOS battery for about 15-20 minutes, then re-insert and try again..
    2) Remove the motherboard from the case, take everything apart, remount CPU, heatsink etc. Try again once everything is reassembled. This simple action has helped me on numerous occasions :)

Good luck :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Jayholls wrote:
    ...if I dont push the 24 pin connector all the way down on the Motherboard i can get my fans running but as soon as its clipped in the fans stop...!
    What lemonline said about trying everything outside the case is a great idea. It may be that when you're pushing the connector down you're grounding something on the back of the MB to the case. If things work outside the case, take special care to ensure that you don't have any wayward standoffs where they don't belong, or a pinched wire somewhere. :)
  • edited December 2005
    well I rebuilt the system again and i'm still getting no power. I tried removing the CMOS battery and reinserting it 5 mins later and I still get nothing. The only way I can even get a tiny bit of power is if i dont push the 24 pin connector all the way down and even then i have to move it around a little bit so i think i'm just goin to send for a replacement board and see what happens. thanks for all the help!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    "The only way I can even get a tiny bit of power is if i dont push the 24 pin connector all the way down"

Return the motherboard for a replacement.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    "The only way I can even get a tiny bit of power is if i dont push the 24 pin connector all the way down"

Return the motherboard for a replacement.

I agree with Leonardo, at this point, it looks like there must be a broken trace or something physically wrong with the mainboard..

Good luck!