Boot Disk Error

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have a newly assembled machine, my first build, and it's not detecting the Windows setup disk in the CD ROM drive. Everything is getting power and the BIOS has the CDROM as the first priority drive. I tested the windows disk on my laptop and it boots up fine so with that, I've exhasted my limited computer kung fu. Any sugestions?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    Your sure its connected and jumpered right? Its jumpered to CS and its on the end of the cable with no other drives on that same cable? Make sure its on the primary ide connector.

Just to test once you have verified the above disconnect the hard drives completely and reboot. Go into the bios and set the boot device to cdrom all the way down.

Tex
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited January 2006
    The CDROM cable is connected to two drives as is the HDD cable. The primary Ide goes to the C drive but its the C from my old computer. I dont expect it to work without re-installing windows. What is correct jumpering? CS?
    please pardon my ignorace....
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited January 2006
    Not knowing your exact hardware configuration, do as Tex said. Go into your bios and make your CDROM is the ONLY boot device and try again.

Flint
    edited January 2006
    I have a ASUS MB with an AMD 3700 CPU w/ 1G memory. I have two HDDs (80 and 160G) a DVD RW and a DVD-R plus a multimedia card reader, all from my old computer. I've changed the BIOS so all it sees are the CD drives and it still wont work. Its weird....

WHich device should the primary IDE cabe go to?
    edited January 2006
    cs is "cable select". It means you can plug either dvd into either cable connector. It eliminates errors basicaly.

Pu the primary ide to a cable that has only ONE dvd on it. Make sure its jumpered to cable select and on the END of the cable. Unplug the hard drive and the multi-media reader for now and try again.

Tex
    edited January 2006
    You rock Tex! Windows is installing now. Once Its done, do I reconfig everything so the primary ide goes to the C drive? Can I hook up two drives back on one cable?

I ended up wiping the C but thats OK.

With a AMD 64bit processor do I download drivers for WinXP 64bit stuff now?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Each IDE port will accept one cable with up to two devices. One device must be the "Master" and the other "Slave". The drive at the end of the cable is always master. Look at your drives, at the end where the cable goes in and you will see above the pins (or on a lable on top) indicators where to put the platic jumper. CS - cable select, M(MA) - master, SL - slave. Sometimes drives will not be recognized by the BIOS or Windows in the master-slave configuration. That is where the cable select setting works well, as Tex mentioned. But start with a simple configuration - just what you need. Then add drives one by one until they are all recognized and Windows has installed the necessary drivers. Remember also to check your BIOS to ensure all IDE ports are turned on. Please check your motherboard manual for all the drive settings.

Congratulations on your first build! It's the most difficult. You will probably never go back to store-bought or online-ordered computers. Welcome to the club.
    edited January 2006
    and it does not matter if the hard drive is primary or secondary. If its working now leave it where it is and add ONE device at a time and make sure everything is cable select (CS).

Cheers

Tex
    edited January 2006
    Its booting up but it takes a while, thought it would be faster with the new CPU. I think its still booting from the CD because I never changed it to the C drive when I installed windows. For reason, my keboard doesn't work now at the point where I hit DEL to enter the BIOS setup. Can I get there from windows? Thru DOS?