Computers DEAD!!

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hey everyone. Im tryin to fix my girlfriends computer for her... any advice or sugestions would be great!!

Heres the deal...

The computer (HP Pavilion 511w) was turned on, the screen saver was going. When she came back into the room the screen saver was froze and she could not get it off the screen. She attempted to restart the computer all she got was a blank monitor... hasnt worked since.

When you turn the computer on the ONLY 2 things that happen are the power button lights up and you can open and close the CD drive, thats all! NOTHING else. The system fans dont turn on, the monitor dosnt even come out of standby mode, it dosnt sound like the hard drive is spinning at all and the keyboard lights dont even come on.

Heres what i've tried:
I've hooked the monitor up to a different computer and the monitor worked fine, I also hooked the computer up to a differnt monitor and i have the same problem, so bad monitor is ruled out! I have also taken out the hard drive and hooked it up to a differnt computer, and, well it dosnt exactly work due to hardware issues but it atleast trys to boot up and i actually get more than the standby black screen on the monitor

When you leave the computer sit while "turned on" the processor gets hot so im assuming theres got to be power getting to it... im kinda clueless on this one. I have built computer systems from the ground up before and nothing has ever stumped me like this...

I thank everyone in advance for all the help!!!

Tony

Comments

• edited January 2006
    hmm, well i would start but taking things out one at a time and try to boot with out them, is the video card built in or agp/pci? your power supply could be bad, but i would assume that your computer would have been off rather then just stalled. Your Ram could be bad that would cause it not to boot up. i would say that it is either your video card is jacked or your ram is no good,
  • edited January 2006
    There are actually 2 video cards in the system One built in and one is PCI, I have tried both and i have also tried removing the PCI card and using the built in but still no luck! I have tried reseating the ram and that didnt work, ill have to go threw my spare parts and see if i have any ram laying around thats compatable that i can just try.
  • edited January 2006
    Ok found some ram laying around and tried that, no difference... i also swapped out power supplys just for the hell of it, also did not help. I disconnected everything IDE except the hard drive (even tried it with the Hard Drive disconnection) and still nothing!! whats left besides processor and Mother Board? anyone have an ideas? Thanks again!!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    The boards probably dead.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Your computer might have experienced a power spike that did in a critical component of the motherboard. It would seem your troubleshooting has been pretty good.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    psu maybe. more then likely the motherboard.

Tex