Types of fans.....

metomeyametomeya New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
How is a LED fan different from a normal fan? What does LED mean? What type of fan is the best to be quiet and still powerful?

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    LED means it has a LED (Light Emitting Diode) in the fan. Theres usually about 4 in each fan. I have a few and love them. Theres no performance difference that I know of- they're just for looks.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    typically the quieter more powerful fans are the bigger 120mm fans.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Metomeya, something else to consider is leaving the front fanless but creating an air inlet. Although all my computers have active air flow from both the front and rear, two of my computers also have passive intakes in front. If you have a more powerful fan exhausting air in the back, or if you have more fans in back (your PSU has a fan also) the negative pressure created by the exhaust can work for you. Those two computers I mentioned each have a drive cover removed. In the open space I put filter material. The case and CPU temperatures in both computers dropped about 2*C after I made the passive air intakes.
  • edited January 2006
    There are two basic "types" of fans, there are axial fans which are your bog standard blade type fans and then there are radial fans which use a rotating drum with paddles on it to move air.

Everything else is basically a variation on a theme so to speak. Different ways to do the same or different jobs (more raw CFM, more static pressure, less noise, Etc.).

but those are the two basic types that you'll encounter with PC's with the axial fan being the most prevailent.