New Comp for a cousin

edited January 2006 in Hardware
My cousin asked me to put together a sweet gaming/school use comp for him. He's willing to spend $2000 CAD with a 17 LCD monitor.

I laughed my ass off when I heard his idea of "gaming". He wants something that will run counter-strike 1.6, age of empires 2 and windows lawn bowling.

I'm thinking of cheaping out on him and ripping him off since he's such an ******* and a noob.

He does know a little bit about RAM, HD, and video card sizes, so I'll have to get him something with lots of storage but slow speeds.

CPU:AMD Sempron 2500+ 64Bit 1.4GHz Socket 754 256KB L2 Cache 1600MHz HT (Retail Box) $62.00

Mobo:Asus K8U-X Socket 754 ULI M1689 Chipset DDR400 Serial ATA Raid AGP 8X 10/100 Lan 5.1 Ch Audio $65.00

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA/150 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer (OEM) $90.00

Vid card: PowerColor ATI Radeon 9250 256MB 128 Bit DDR AGP 8X $41.00

RAM: cheap no-brand-name 2X1 GB pc3200. 2X$89.00.

PSU: A 400 watts PSU I took out of my old comp with only 12A on the 12V rail. $0.00

Cooling: Generic 80mm case fans. 2X$5.99.

Case: He wants a cool looking case...any ideas?

Monitor: Acer AL1716B 17" LCD (Black) 12ms 500:1 1280x1024 $248.99

This is the AMD setup, the only thing I'm worried about that he might suspect is the CPU. Should I get a high-frequency Celeron CPU, lets say a 3.0 celeron for $80 bucks?

Total comes to around $801 CAD after 15% tax. Damn I'm making $1200 off this scam. Seems too good to be true...should I get him some better parts just in case he knows?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    If you are really serious about ripping off your cousin, I doubt you'll find much support here. If you are joking, I'm sure we'll be glad to help you.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    ... Wow your a total ******* ... I can't wait till your baned.
  • edited January 2006
    Im with Leo, along with the majority of the other SM members. this is a nice little community on the interent that we take pride in and we dont help others to :screwed: their cousin in any way. you should build him system just like you are building one for yourself. You could always charge him like 50 bucks to build it.

bikerboy
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    Yeah you're an arsehole taking advantage of someone with little computer knowledge like that. Making $25 is one thing, but $1200... thats wrong. Get off this forum - this is a community of people helping other people, and you're definitely no help.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Wow, I find it hard to believe that anyone would admit to scamming in such a way, even anonymously... I also find it hard to believe this isn't a joke - your conscience must be bugging you for this, isn't it?

You're better off building him something like you've got in your sig except with a lesser video card, actually putting a reliable PSU in it, and charging him a fair rate for your time to build it, $75-$100 CAD, for instance. In the long run, giving him something that is likely to be unreliable is only asking for trouble, no matter how little you charge.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2006
    What a d!ck.
    edited January 2006
    Gentlemen, let's wait for TJcan to respond before we continue besmirching his character. Let's give him the opportunity to confirm whether his original post was a joke or whether he meant it as it appears.

I know that my humor has sometimes been greatly misinterpreted.

TJCan? Are you out there?
    edited January 2006
    "Windows Lawn Bowling" led me to believe it may be a joke. ;)

Is there really such a program?
  • edited January 2006
    maybe he is scared to come back!?

bikerboy
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2006
    That's pretty low. I'm helping my uncle fix his system and I'm not making a dime off it. Just using my knowledge - to help someone who isn't as knowledgeable about computers - is reward enough. I'm embarrassed you're Canadian.
    edited January 2006
    TJcan. If this thread was a joke, and we just don't get it, please respond in the thread or send me, Leonardo a private message. For now, I am closing this thread. If it is later appropriate to reopen it, I will do it.

Leonardo
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I see that the thread is re-opened...does that mean he was just kidding and we can all now give him advice???
    edited January 2006
    Nightwolf, thanks for asking. TJCan politely PMed me and told me that the thread opener was indeed a joke. I've been known myself at times to make jokes that are not taken humorously. Forgive and forget...

TJ, we are ready to engage your topic (the one about a computer build, that is:) )
  • edited January 2006
    Hey sorry about that man. I thought you were serious. that setup isnt to bad. but i would build him one like the one in your sig. if hes willing to spend 2000.

bikerboy
    edited January 2006
    As I stated earlier, I would put a good PSU in the thing, no matter what other hardware. The PSU is the one thing I never skimp on.
    edited January 2006
    bikerboy wrote:
    Hey sorry about that man. I thought you were serious. that setup isnt to bad. but i would build him one like the one in your sig. if hes willing to spend 2000.

bikerboy
    I agree - and hey! Look! OCZ!! :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2006
    Alright, sorry for making a bad joke, because I thought it would be funny to laugh at a computer illiterate cousin.

Anyways, now that the unpleasantness is behind us, I actually need to build another budget gaming system for a friend for under $900 CAD dollars, maybe similar but a little different from the system in my sig, which cost me a little over $1000 CAD without the LCD.

Should I build him a system similar to the one I have for $1000 CAD or tell him to save up for a dual-core processor system?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    TJcan wrote:
    Alright, sorry for making a bad joke, because I thought it would be funny to laugh at a computer illiterate cousin.

Anyways, now that the unpleasantness is behind us, I actually need to build another budget gaming system for a friend for under $900 CAD dollars, maybe similar but a little different from the system in my sig, which cost me a little over $1000 CAD without the LCD.

Should I build him a system similar to the one I have for $1000 CAD or tell him to save up for a dual-core processor system?

and will you be building this 2nd computer with the $1200 that you ripped off from your cousin?
  • edited January 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    and will you be building this 2nd computer with the $1200 that you ripped off from your cousin?

Damn right biatch:rarr:

jk:D
    edited January 2006
    The attitude that you've shown in this thread, especially the first post, is probably an immediate turnoff to anyone wanting to help.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Alright, my friends. TJ's had his joke and plenty of people have already let him know how they feel about it. Please, let's call it even and get on with it.

If you want to help, great. If not, don't. :wave:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Well, as to the dual-core, I'd wait some-- and go AMD then. I'm thinking myself of a dual-core, but will wait for Vista and more 64-bit software to rollout beofre I use that in a system. That is likely to take 2-3 years or more for a lot of 64-bit software to roll out. Hardware is ahead of software right now.

So, given THAT, I would not tell him to wait and instead build him a system
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    if he has $2000 to spend I'd go with one of the AMD fx series processors(the 55 is about $800), and then build from there. also check out the nvidia 7800's
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I'd probably go w/ an X2 4400+, A 7800gtx and a nice dfi lanparty board. For memory i'd probably go w/ the OCZ plat rev. 2 gigs of that would last him a couple years. And the rest is up to you.