legal programming stuff

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
:hiding: Anyone know a lot or some about legal side of programming??

We purchased some reservations software a long, long time ago, and the company put little time bombs in the software that would go off at random times locking up the program. Making us have to call and pay for maintenance that we didn't want in the first place......$500 /year!! Anyway do they have the right to purposely make the program do that to make us pay for maintenance??? It sucks because we don't want to change programs because we have like 10+ years of data in it.....:screwed:

Any help would be appreciated.:respect:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    For as company to make faulty software that requires a cost maintance is not legal. Now if it is a database program and your outsourcing is causing the program to have issues... that is a different story. If it is the company making software that break purposly, and you can prove it. you might just be able to sue the crap out fo them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    You would have to be able to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that they sabotaged the software... I.e.. have legal access to the source code.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited January 2006
    Well right at the turn of the New Year, a message comes up with an error code saying we need to call them. So we call them and the person we talked to said that she didn't exactly know what the code was but it was a reminder that they had to do something. But it has happened a lot in the past, our computers are pretty much on lock down from the outside (i.e. internet) and all we use them for is running the reservations software.......ok and maybe solitaire. We back up our database daily, and update our os regularly. We rarely make changes to software and or hardware. So we really don't want to pay for maintenance anymore, but it just seems that every so often we get an error code that comes up and we have to call. This just stopped, but when we would call they would have to pcAnywhere into our server or talk us through putting all this code into the program to make the error go away. Did i mention it was a dos based program!! What they tell us we pay for maintenance is for fixes and updates, which they don't ever have updates for this program, but they did make a windows upgrade that we still have to pay like three grand for. So we are happy with just staying with what we got without pumping $500 /year into it. :banghead:
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited January 2006
    You would have to be able to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that they sabotaged the software... I.e.. have legal access to the source code.

How do i get....or do i have legal access to the code if we bought it?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    What is the name of the software? What is the name of company that produces it?