Laptop Bootup Problems

2»

Comments

• edited January 2006
    I got an external CDROM now, but nothing happens, I guess because I don't have the "boot off an external source/device" option in my bios. Is there a way I can update my bio so I have that option??
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    I couldn't even find any BIOS updates at HP's site. Did the external drive come with a boot diskette? You could try that. I'll look around and see if I can find a boot floppy with USB cdrom support.

Make sure that USB Legacy Support (may be named something slightly different) is enabled in the BIOS. That could make all the difference.
  • edited January 2006
    Thats what gets me. The CDROM drive came with CD's only. No floppys.
    edited January 2006
    I'm sending you another file via email which alleges to support USB cdrom drives. I've never used it - you can be the guinea pig. :vimp:
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you so much. I am going to try it out this weekend. I got to get ahead on my hw. I will let you know how it turns out.
    edited January 2006
    Good luck, both with your computer and with school. :)

Make sure you let us know how things go this weekend. :wave:
  • edited January 2006
    Hey I sparred up some free time tonight and tried it. Didn't work.=(
    It said the following file is missing or corrupted USBASPI.sys. There is an error on your config.sys file on line 8.

The following system file is missing or corrupted NJ32disk.sys There is an error in your config.sys file on line 16.

I went buy Best Buy's Geek Squad today also and explained to them what all was going on with it. They said it must be the mother board. Would it cost a lot to replace one of thoes if that ends up being the problem?
  • edited January 2006
    One more thing, is there some sort or Antivirus program I can download to a floppy A drive and try running that , to see if the computer has a virus which is preventing it from startin up?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Would it cost a lot to replace one of thoes if that ends up being the problem?
    Unfortunately, probably so. You can't just buy competing, compatible laptop components off the shelf, so the laptop brands charge an arm and a leg because there's nothing the consumer can do about it.
    edited January 2006
    What brand is your external cdrom drive?
  • edited January 2006
    I dunno. I returned it the other day. I just bought one off the shelf.