Best ABIT AMD64 motherboard

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Take a look at the link below at a list of ABIT AMD 64 bit motherboards at NewEgg and tell me which one would be best to own.

I do want one with PCI-Express and SATA, and if possible RAID.

AMD Compatible Motherboards

I was thinking of somewhere between the AN8 Ultra, AN8-V, AN8 SLI, perhaps the Fatality AN8 SLI, AX8, KN8, KN8 Ultra, KN8 SLI, and UL8 (All socket 939)

Now, will I also have to buy a new PSU as well?

As for the KN8 SLI, what is a shadow card? And what is the point of the SLI bridge connector? Don't you need two video cards of the same type to do SLI, and doesn't this SLI bridge connector partially cover one of the PCI-Express 16x connectors?

My mind is on the KN8-Ultra, but what do you recommend?

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    The KN8 and AN8 series are based on the NF4 chipset and it's basically take your pick.

The Abit AX8 is based on the obsolete VIA K8T890 PCIe chipset and IS NOT X2 Dual core compatible, but otherwise is a competent motherboard. The AX8 v2 IS X2 compatible but hasn't been released in the US. A new board based on the upcoming K8T900 (SLI/Crossfire capable) chipset will be released soon.

The UL8 is a value board based on ULi's chipset. It's a fast but basic motherboard. Nvidia just purchased ULi chipset business.

My advice - pick a version of the KN8 or AN8 and go with that. Once the VIA K8T900 mobo comes out it would be a VIAble 2nd choice. (pun intended) :)
  • edited January 2006
    Personally, I would buy a NF4 chipset board from someone like Asus, DFI, EPoX or MSI before buying an Abit product. The Abit you remember from the NF7-S days has gone bye-bye, with a financially troubled Abit that has been turning out quite a few defective boards, with their RMA service also going down the toilet too, replacing them. Don't just take my word for it; go to the Abit-USA forums and read some of the posts and threads in the forums there and make your own mind up whether you want to take the chance of dealing with them now. I know that I don't until I see proof that they have turned around their poor RMA service back around at least.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Definatly go for another brand abits curent lineup of products is below average.
    edited January 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Personally, I would buy a NF4 chipset board from someone like Asus, DFI, EPoX or MSI before buying an Abit product. The Abit you remember from the NF7-S days has gone bye-bye, with a financially troubled Abit that has been turning out quite a few defective boards, with their RMA service also going down the toilet too, replacing them. Don't just take my word for it; go to the Abit-USA forums and read some of the posts and threads in the forums there and make your own mind up whether you want to take the chance of dealing with them now. I know that I don't until I see proof that they have turned around their poor RMA service back around at least.
    Good points. There many stories being written about ABit's finacial troubles. I believe Abit has also contracted out much of it's mobo manufacturing to ECS also....
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2006
    Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, A8N32 SLI
  • edited January 2006
    Funny, when I started reading this thread the first thought that popped into my head was "The best Abit AMD64 mobo would be made by ASUS" and it looks like I'm not alone in that opinion.

I built a PC on the A8N32-SLI Deluxe recently (for someone else sadly :( ) and it's a very nice mobo that has tons of features not just the dual true X16 PCI-E slots. If I ever have that kind of jack to spend on a PC for myself (He spent $5500) I'd go with an identical rig. It's just simply awesome.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    That new Xfire sapphire board sure is pretty. If you don't plan on going with 2 video cards you don't even have to worry about whether it is SLI or Xfire really. If you do go with rd480 or 580 make sure you get the Uli southbridge.
    edited January 2006
    Its called crossfire not Xfire.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    That's remarkably nit-picky, and a total irrelevancy. The letter 'X' is short-hand for "Cross."

Moving on..
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Funny, when I started reading this thread the first thought that popped into my head was "The best Abit AMD64 mobo would be made by ASUS" and it looks like I'm not alone in that opinion.

I built a PC on the A8N32-SLI Deluxe recently (for someone else sadly :( ) and it's a very nice mobo that has tons of features not just the dual true X16 PCI-E slots. If I ever have that kind of jack to spend on a PC for myself (He spent $5500) I'd go with an identical rig. It's just simply awesome.
    Specs please! :)
    Thrax wrote:
    That's remarkably nit-picky, and a total irrelevancy. The letter 'X' is short-hand for "Cross."

Moving on..
    Not to be piling on, But well said.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I've been admiring this board for a few days now ...I don't think it's very available yet though. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/PI-A9RD480
    GrayFox wrote:
    Its called crossfire not Xfire.
    Sorry I keep confusing the Xpress with the Crossfire ...
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I'm with everyone else. Go with ASUS or DFI!
  • edited January 2006
    It's here, I don't really want to muck up his thread with someone else's PC...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2006
    So it is Asus I should go with? What happened to ABIT in the past three years to become financially troubled? I last bought my ABIT KD7-RAID back in Feb 2003, and it is pretty much time for an upgrade. After all, I do have a copy of Windows XP 64 I need to use.

--EDIT--
    Ok, the ASUS A8N-E motherboard, 4/5 rating based on 443 votes. Did I make a good choice?
    ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    It also seems that the ASUS has a better board design than ABIT.

Also, about power supplies, can I continue to use my 350W EG-365P(FC) Enermax (20 pin connector plus the 4 pin connector) or do I have to buy a new PSU such as these:
    ENERMAX EG425P-VE SFMA 2.0 ATX12V 420W Power Supply
    ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail

Oh, and this is the processor I plan on going with:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500CGBOX

What is the difference between SATA 150 and SATA 3.0Gb/s?
  • edited January 2006
    I'd get a minimum 500W AXT2 PSU with a 24pin mobo connector. This way you're forward compatible with future mobo and/or vid card upgrades you may do.

Abit has lost a lot of mobo engineers to DFI over the last couple of years so the Abit mobos out now are basically designed by the "second string" as it were...
    edited January 2006
    Oh, I see.

As for the PSU, I have decided to place the 535W Enermax PSU in my wish list.

Any idea of what is the best video card manufacturer of a PCI-Express 16x with a ATI Radeon chip a few steps above a ATI Radeon 9550? How about this ASUS video card?

(FYI - It'll be close to $700 to upgrade to 64bit computing! - If you click here you might be able to see what I chose)
    edited January 2006
    That X1300 is about 2.5X as fast as a radeon 9550 :) very good choice.

edit:For only a few bucks more you can get a much faster card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121549
  • edited January 2006
    Which Antec psu are you talking about, Danball? I see 500 watt Antecs and 550 watt Antecs but no 535 watt units.

As for the vid card, that's pretty low end; you might want to spend a bit more and get a better vid card like a 6800GS, which will overclock very well too and give much better video performance even at stock speeds.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Which Antec psu are you talking about, Danball? I see 500 watt Antecs and 550 watt Antecs but no 535 watt units.

As for the vid card, that's pretty low end; you might want to spend a bit more and get a better vid card like a 6800GS, which will overclock very well too and give much better video performance even at stock speeds.
    Mud,
    he said Enermax.

Dan,
    Which are you getting?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103512
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103462

You might want to pick one from the linked list below. All are 256 bit cards and I included both Nvidia and ATI cards in my search, so all you need to do is find the best card within your price range. There are some excellent values there!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=-1&Manufactory=0&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A14099&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A17595&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A9573&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A18139&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A18817&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A18184&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A9551&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A14425&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=685%3A9619&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9641&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&Submit=Property&SubCategory=48
    edited January 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    That X1300 is about 2.5X as fast as a radeon 9550 :) very good choice.

edit:For only a few bucks more you can get a much faster card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121549

That X1600 is actually slower than the X1300, but the X1600 has 12 pixel pipelines. Is that what makes it faster?

X1600PRO has the following specs:
    Core clock - 500MHz
    PixelPipelines 12
    Memory Clock - 780MHz
    Memory Size - 256MB
    Memory Interface - 128-bit
    Memory Type - GDDR2
    RAMDAC - 400 MHz

X1300PRO has the following specs
    Core clock - 600MHz
    PixelPipelines - 4
    Memory Clock - 800MHz
    Memory Size - 256MB
    Memory Type - GDDR2
    RAMDAC - 400 MHz
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    It's here, I don't really want to muck up his thread with someone else's PC...
    Nice! You need to post that worklog Here :)
    edited January 2006
    Dan,
    That PSU is fine and I have heard quite a few good things for it's price point.

The Powercolor card you listed is only 8 pipes and not such a good deal compared to the one above it. If you are willing to spent the price of the third card you listed, which isn't any better than several less expensive ones on the search list I would recomend spending just a few bucks more and going for an X800XL, that will spank the pants off anything listed so far!
    edited January 2006
    That X1600 is actually slower than the X1300, but the X1600 has 12 pixel pipelines. Is that what makes it faster?

X1600PRO has the following specs:
    Core clock - 500MHz
    PixelPipelines 12
    Memory Clock - 780MHz
    Memory Size - 256MB
    Memory Type - GDDR2
    RAMDAC - 400 MHz

X1300PRO has the following specs
    Core clock - 600MHz
    PixelPipelines - 4
    Memory Clock - 800MHz
    Memory Size - 256MB
    Memory Type - GDDR2
    RAMDAC - 400 MHz

YES! Look at #pipes first, then Clock speed. The X1600 will wipe the floor with the X1300. ATI's next lowend CPU chipset will integrate the X1300 (4 pipes). AVOID the X1300!
    edited January 2006
    Now, do I need registered RAM for that ASUS board I chose, or can I use the unregistered Corsair PC3200 that I currently have in my computer.

I've been thinking of just building a completely new computer, and letting my brother have this computer since all he uses is a Dell laptop

Any idea as to what would be a good computer case? I currently have the Lian-Li PC60+USB aluminum case, but what about the Chenming CMU-AL-602-SL-W?
    edited January 2006
    Regular DDR 3200 is good enough. Unless of course you want to do a little OC'ing, then some 4400 with good timings would be better. But no, you do not need ECC Reg memory.
  • edited January 2006
    I'm a big fan of Lian Li cases...of course I'm a big anything.

I'd just reuse my case and save some cash that way.
    edited January 2006
    Only Socket 940 requires Registered DDR
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Lian Li cases...of course I'm a big anything.

I'd just reuse my case and save some cash that way.

Good idea. Save money by re-using my case and the memory. I have 1GB of the Corsair PC3200 DDRAM, would that be enough for Windows XP Pro 64bit?
  • edited January 2006
    I dunno there, if you buy another gig that board will set it to 2T though.

If you decide to go 2gigs just get a 2 gig kit and sell the 1 gig kit to keep the 1T command rate...