Best ABIT AMD64 motherboard

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    I dunno there, if you buy another gig that board will set it to 2T though.

If you decide to go 2gigs just get a 2 gig kit and sell the 1 gig kit to keep the 1T command rate...

Any idea if the 3-3-3-8 and 2-3-3-6 timings for the Corsair is good for the 2GB kits?
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX2048-3200
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Amazing that 2GB of memory costs the same as what 1GB cost 3 years ago.

I wish I had $1300 so that I could buy everything, but it will take me a while to buy everything.
  • edited January 2006
    For a couple bucks more this has better timings. I've used it with both my Intel and the A64 rig I linked to and it's pretty fast.
    edited January 2006
    I think that the Corsair is fine for what I need. I just need to figure out what part to buy first.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Idunno about the 3500+. From I've read the 3500+ will clock no higher than the 3200+ and you could probably save a few bucks there and just do a little overclocking to catch up. Just my opinion I'm not sure how you feel about overclocking.
    As for video I'd highly suggest you go with something with as many pipes as you can afford ...even if you have to dig it out of the refurbed bin. That way when you upgrade to Vista you won't be in need of a replacement right away.
    That patriot ram sure looks nice mat ...
    This is the 3200 I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103602 ...the 1.35 lower voltage will probably take you farthest in an overclock ...in all likelyhood.
    edited January 2006
    Ok, I decided it was worth the $31 savings in the 3200.

Attachment includes saved wish list from NewEgg
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    You are less than $10 from an X800XL that has 16 pipes over the 12 on that MSI card.
    edited January 2006
    Will I really notice the difference of 4 pipes?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    If you plan to overclock you will probably have better luck with some ocz gold.
    edited January 2006
    I don't have any plans on overclocking.
  • edited January 2006
    I still think the Patriot is a better deal for a whopping $2 more...I am biased though, I do have a kit.
    edited January 2006
    Will I really notice the difference of 4 pipes?
    It will make a noticeable difference. And for the small difference in cost it is well worth it.
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    I still think the Patriot is a better deal for a whopping $2 more...I am biased though, I do have a kit.

What is it you are referring to?
    mtgoat wrote:
    It will make a noticeable difference. And for the small difference in cost it is well worth it.

Is this what you are referring to? If it is, this card is dual DVI, which is specifically why I didn't choose this card.
    edited January 2006
    Amazing that 2GB of memory costs the same as what 1GB cost 3 years ago.

Considering this comment, I actually paid $416 for the Corsair PC3200 1GB kit.

Included is an attachment of what I have bought since the year 2000 (no dates as to when I actually bought the parts)
  • edited January 2006
    Danball, if you look at the pictures of the vid card you linked to, they show that you have 2 dvi>sub D adapters included with it, so you shouldn't have any problems running them on an analog monitor. My 9800 AIW uses such an adapter and it's no problem.
  • edited January 2006

I linked to this ram earlier. It's $2 more than the Corsair and has 2-3-2-5 timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220040

That's what I'm referring to.
    edited January 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Danball, if you look at the pictures of the vid card you linked to, they show that you have 2 dvi>sub D adapters included with it, so you shouldn't have any problems running them on an analog monitor. My 9800 AIW uses such an adapter and it's no problem.

Yeah, yeah, I know that they are included, but I prefer a video card with 1 dSub and 1 DVI connector. Also, isn't the adapter a digital to analog converter?
    madmat wrote:
    I linked to this ram earlier. It's $2 more than the Corsair and has 2-3-2-5 timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220040

That's what I'm referring to.

Linky no worky!
  • edited January 2006
    Actually I think the 'egg's site is down because I can't get in there at all...
  • edited January 2006
    Yep, it was down, I just clicked that link and it's working again...
    edited January 2006
    The Corsair RAM I chose is on the ASUS's DDR400 Qualified Vendor's List, Patriot isn't (downloaded ASUS A8N Ultra manual). I didn't look at the manual when I chose the Corsair RAM.

--EDIT--
    However, reviews at NewEgg show that others are using Patriot RAM on the ASUS A8N, oh, and the Patriot RAM is $1 cheaper than the Corsair. It even uses less voltage than the Corsair by .15v. OK, I'm sold on this Patriot RAM.
  • edited January 2006
    It's on their list for the other nForce 4 boards. Plus I have working experience with it in the A8N32-SLI Deluxe...do what makes you comfortable though, it's no skin off my nose.
    edited January 2006

Is this what you are referring to? If it is, this card is dual DVI, which is specifically why I didn't choose this card.

If you look it comes w/ 2 DVI/VGA adapters and the adapters work quite well.
    edited January 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    If you look it comes w/ 2 DVI/VGA adapters and the adapters work quite well.

Yeah, but I still would rather have a video card with both a single DVI and dSub connector.
  • edited January 2006
    Yeah, but I still would rather have a video card with both a single DVI and dSub connector.

Not to be a pain but:

Why?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    Lowend Video cards have the DB15 connector.
    High(er)end Video cards come with the Dual DVI connectors

It's a non issue as long as you have an DVI Adapter (or a flat panel monitor)
    edited January 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Not to be a pain but:

Why?

Because I don't particularly care for adapters. I prefer to directly connect things. Besides, isn't Apple the only company to really use DVI connectors on their monitors? I don't see that many flat panels using a DVI connector.

--EDIT--
    After looking at it some more, I decided the extra $10 in price was worth it (It is actually $35 more before the instant rebate), especially since it the memory clock is 280MHz faster than the MSI. I also guess that it won't really hurt having a dual DVI video card.

Also, I noticed that the PowerCooler includes a power cable, but I don't see anywhere on the video card that it is supposed to connect to, or where you connect it to on the motherboard.
  • edited January 2006
    NEC uses them, Samsung uses them among others. They also usually incluse a VGA input but the picture quality looks far better with the pure digital signal path.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Because I don't particularly care for adapters. I prefer to directly connect things. Besides, isn't Apple the only company to really use DVI connectors on their monitors? I don't see that many flat panels using a DVI connector.
    The lower end flat panels are more often than not D-Sub. As soon as you cross a quality point, even within brands, you start seeing DVI. Our Samsung 930B has both D-Sub and DVI while my Xerox XG91D (fantasitc monitor, BTW) has only a DVI connector.
  • edited January 2006

--EDIT--
    After looking at it some more, I decided the extra $10 in price was worth it (It is actually $35 more before the instant rebate), especially since it the memory clock is 280MHz faster than the MSI. I also guess that it won't really hurt having a dual DVI video card.

Also, I noticed that the PowerCooler includes a power cable, but I don't see anywhere on the video card that it is supposed to connect to, or where you connect it to on the motherboard.

I was just going back through the thread and boy this has been a wild ride :) And I found what you're refering to and either they put the wrong accy bundle pic in or the wrong card pics in since that's an adaptor for PCI-E vidcards, the 6 pin type to allow you to use the card with an older PSU.

I can't find where it should plug in although I did find where the plugin should go on the card's PCB so that's why I'm lead to believe they've swapped either the accy's for a higher end card's pic in or that's the next step down card...

I hope that you're able to follow this.
    edited February 2006
    madmat wrote:
    By the time you get around to buying some of this stuff it might no longer be available...

I'm aware of that, if they aren't available by the time I get around to buying it, I'll just buy something that is equivalent. I don't have the $1800 it costs to buy it all at once. This is also how I did all my other complete computer upgrades in the last 7 years.

--EDIT--
    This is supposed to go after MadMat's post, but the stupid time change at 11PM messed it up. For some reason, at 10:59PM my time, the forum time is 11:59PM, and at 11PM my time the forum jumps back to 11PM, which is why this post is in the wrong place.
    edited February 2006
    Ok, after a little research, I decided to eventually purchase (on May 19th) this monitor:
    Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD.

One reason why I chose it is because the VX922 is the 13th highest (of 274 LCD monitors available on NewEgg) and the VX924 being the highest rated LCD on NewEgg (Possible the most bought LCD monitor on NewEgg). I like the VX922 a little better because it is slightly better than the VX924 in areas such as wider viewing area and faster response time. The VX924 is a 3ms gray to gray/6ms white/black/white monitor and the VX922 is a 2ms gray to gray/2ms white/black/white monitor.

Overall, it will take me 8 months to purchase all the parts I need to complete my computer. These are the following items I will be purchasing:

March 24th:
    ASUS A8N-E Socket 949 motherboard

April 21st:
    Antec Performance I P180 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower

May 19th:
    Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD

June 16th:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core **Updated Link**
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm HS&F
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

July 14th:
    LiteOn DVD Burner w/Lightscribe and 5x DVD-RAM
    Sony 16x DVD-ROM
    ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply

August 11th:
    Patriot 2GB (2x1GB) DDR400-PC3200

September 8th:
    PowerColor Radeon X800XL 256MB 16x PCI-E
    Maxtor 80GB SATA150

October 20th:
    2x Maxtor 250GB SATA150

If anything, I could switch September 8th around with June 16th, what do you guys think would be best? Also, once I get this put together and transfer data over to the new computer from my old computer, I'll probably start selling the parts off of it on this forum.

One thing is definite, my monitor is starting to go out. It will on rare occasion make a small pop noise, the picture will fade to black within 2-3 seconds, and it won't come back on until I turn the monitor off and then back on via the power switch on the front. It has done this about 2 maybe 3 times in the last 6 months. It had also been doing some squiggly line distortions as well. Because of this, this is the reason why I am going to buy the new LCD monitor as quickly as possible.