Pentium D 820 (2.8G) opinions ? (for a demo computer)

qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hey everyone,

I need to purchase a computer for a demo for a project, unfortunately my P-M 1.4 G isn't cutting it. I'm limited to the stock at Costco for "policy" reasons.

The computer will be used for a demo of a high speed USB 2.0 peripheral and needs to be of handling about 30 MB/s of real-time data across the USB 2.0 bus as well as a significant amount of DSP work on the incoming data (hence why I hope the dual core will do it). My choices are a 3400+ or single core Pentium 3.0 or the D 820's (or find another retailer with similar policies to Costco). Price isn't important. I can't find X2 3800+'s at any local retailer yet :/

Just wondering if any of the intel guys here could comment on the performance of the second core / system under heavy USB loads (The chipset is the i945G) as I can't find benchmarks relating to this.

Thanks,

Derek

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I'd go w/ the 3400+!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    Even as a AMD Fanboy I say go Pentium D over the 3400+. The Dual Core is more important than the raw power. AN AMD X2 would be the best choice if available.
  • edited January 2006
    I think the 820 would be a decent choice for your needs, myself. 2 processor cores beat 1 core every time in a heavy multitasking environment. Just make sure you have plenty of power and cooling on that beast. Plus, it would make a devestating folding box too. ;)
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited January 2006
    Does anyone here have a pentium D?

If anyone does and they happen to have a USB 2.0 card reader or something could they tell me approximately the CPU usage on a transfer (and the transfer rate) and which CPU they have?

I tried to do this in the Costco and I made the salesman unhappy :P.

Thanks
  • edited January 2006
    QP, PM Leo and ask him if he has a card reader. He has an 820 folding rig he's been playing with lately.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Even as a AMD Fanboy I say go Pentium D over the 3400+. The Dual Core is more important than the raw power. AN AMD X2 would be the best choice if available.
    I can't tell how it would respond to heavy USB loads, but I can tell you the 820 handles multitasking as if it were child's play. If this is a winter project, the dual Presshot afterburner blast coming from the back of the computer case will warm any room in which the box is located. You would be better served with an AMD X2, but if not available, you'd be very happy with 820. Don't skimp on the motherboard. I would imagine that a quality board will provide much more reliable USB traffice than a budget board. All the Intel 945 chipsets variations are very stable and very easy to set up. The 955 chipset is a hot performer, but 945 seems to be more consistent in reliability.

Yes, I do have a card reader. Did you want me to run some tests for you? I'd be happy to. Just let me know the parameters. I'd be testing on System No. 4 (in signature).