What's the best software to use?

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have always been dead scared to overclock anything, but have been messing around with Riva Tuner on my video card and am very impressed with the improvement.

What I would like to know is what's the best program for overclocking a AMD64 cpu. Bearing in mind that it HAS to be idiot proof and understandable for a complete noob :confused:

Also what extra gain can I expect to get from a 3200.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Depending on what mobo you have, you might have some really good overclocking options built into the bios of your board. What brand and model is your mobo?

Your overclock will depend both on the process your processor is made on; ie whether is 130 or 90 nm process and also just luck of the draw on how well your individual processor will overclock. If your 3200 is a socket 939 Winchester or Venice, I would think that 2400-2500 should be fairly easy to get and if it's an older Newcastle getting to that same speed range is also possible, but the processor will most probably require more tweaking of vcore and run a bit hotter.

For a windows overclocking utility, I've heard a lot of things said for A64 Tweaker, but I really haven't messed with it much.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Thanks I managed to get the latest version of A64 Tweak from the extreme OC site.

However, I do not have a continental clue what any of those fields represent :scratch:
    As I mentioned, it must be a utility an idiot could use.

It is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS (socket 754) MB and the proc is an older Newcasle.
    This particular rig only has a 3000+ in it. Not the 3200 as previously mentioned.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Winga, you've got the wrong approach and attitude. Fundamentals, fundamentals - that's the focus. If you only use software, you will never get very good at overclocking. Use the BIOS. It seems more difficult at first, but the process teaches you so much. If all you are interested in is the objective, the end result of more power from a given component, then I suppose software overclocking is right for you. If you want to really understand the interworkings of your computer's components, then learn to overclock through the BIOS.

There are many BIOS guides and overclocing guides at tech sites. Learn the techniques and terminology before you begin. It will be much more successful and satisfying that way. Look for BIOS and overclocking guides at Short-Media, [H]ardOCP, Anandtech, Tomshardware and Extremetech. With an internet search for "BIOS guide", within five minutes you should have three or four top class guides bookmarked.

I never would have become a good overclocker if I had just had push button (Windows based) overclocking utilities. It's like trying to learn automotive racing with a four-speed automatic transmission. Just won't work. BTW, both of my two most recent motherboards, MSI 945P Neo F and Asus P5PL2 both had overclocking software. On the Asus I have completely removed all OC software and am going stricty by the BIOS. Why? Better results, better stability, and I know exactly what performance levels I am improving.

EDIT: Don't attempt CPU or GPU overclocking until you are sure those components and the computer case as well have adequate cooling. You will also need a very healthy PSU with stable power to spare.
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the really sage advice Leo.

I am actually extremely analytical, so my approach is somewhat unusual for my personality. I think because this isn't something I will be doing every day, I thought I would take the easy route. It seems therte is no real easy way, so I shall begin researching OC and begin at the bottom.

Thanks
    edited January 2006
    If you are an analytic person, you'd really be cutting yourself short by using software. What you learn from BIOS overclcocking will be skills and knowledge that will assist you in nearly any future hardware endeavors with PCs.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Prof's Nutshell Guide To Overclocking

A CPU's clock speed is determined by the MB's Front Side Bus (FSB) and a Multiplier.

ex. 200MHz X 11.5 = 2300MHz

Increasing either the FSB, the Multiplier, or both, will overclock the CPU.

ex. 200MHz X 12.5 = 2500MHz
    ex. 220MHz X 11.5 = 2530MHz
    ex. 220MHz X 12.0 = 2640MHz

In order to accomplish this it is often necessary to increase Voltage to the CPU and/or RAM and also upgrade the computers cooling system.

You should also become very familiar with the location of your CMOS reset jumper. :vimp:

Overclocking is best done via baby steps. A little bump here, a little boost there, until you find the highest speed at which your computer is stable.

NOTE FOR THE OLD-TIMERS: Yes, I know I left a lot of stuff out. It was a tiny nutshell. :D
    edited January 2006
    It was a tiny nutshell.
    Actually more than we wanted to know. Let's keep this thread clean, OK? :shakehead
    edited January 2006
    Do you think I'm walNUTS? Milky in the FILBERT? If I had the CASHew I'd fly up there and we could settle this face-to-face!!!!! :ninja:

;D
    edited January 2006
    WOW Prof thanks for the explanation. :wow2:

I never understood the multiplyer until now. That would make sense why my multiplyer is X15. My FSB is 2000 which makes the proc a 3000+.

You can throw your nutshells my way anytime, no matter how small they are :D

Any chance of explaining the RAM timings to me?
    There are many BIOS guides and overclocing guides at tech sites. Learn the techniques and terminology before you begin. It will be much more successful and satisfying that way. Look for BIOS and overclocking guides at Short-Media, [H]ardOCP, Anandtech, Tomshardware and Extremetech. With an internet search for "BIOS guide", within five minutes you should have three or four top class guides bookmarked.

I am working on those guides Leo, though a bit of spoonfeeding from the Prof won't hurt. (Unless of course he wings it up there and cracks you over the nut):eek3:
    edited January 2006
    Winga wrote:
    ...Any chance of explaining the RAM timings to me? ...
    I'm still an intermediate-rank student in that area, but cracking open another nutshell (dare I? :D ) it's something like this:

Sooner or later in overclocking you will reach an apparent upper limit beyond which you can seemingly take things no further. That bottleneck is often your memory. When you raise the FSB you are also raising the speed at which your memory is running. At a 220MHz FSB your PC3200 RAM is being pushed 10% beyond its rated capacity.

One solution may be to spend big bucks and replace all your RAM with something rated at a higher speed (in the above example you might go looking for PC3700 RAM). Another technique is to run the memory at a slightly higher latency. ("Latency" is the term used for how often the RAM refreshes its information independent of the rest of the computer's components; a lower number means that that is happening more often, resulting in faster performance.) When you hear someone refer to using "relaxed timings" that is exactly what they are doing.

Overall, the best overclocks are those which strike the best balance performance-wise between the FSB, the Multiplier, and RAM timings. It is a trial-and-error process, which most people find to be a lot of fun. Every machine has its sweet spot regarding overclocking and the challenge of finding it is all part of the game.
    edited January 2006
    It is a trial-and-error process, which most people find to be a lot of fun.
    Prof just hit the nail on the head. Don't take up overclocking for any reasons other than gaining skills and knowledge and having fun. From a practical standpoint, overclocking doesn't accomplish much except to cause you to buy better cooling equipment and the occasional replacement for components you may destroy if you aren't careful enough. Just a few days ago I destroyed a perfectly good motherboard by a stupid mistake when attempting to jury-rig an oversized heatsink on the northbridge. I have spent countless hours (days) on working on different fan configurations, better heatsinks, better power supplies... Oh, I could go on and on. But I thoroughly enjoy overclocking. Why? It's the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge and taking hardware to performance levels beyond their stock configuration. It's combination of disciplines - part science, part engineering, and part creativity. It's also a lot of fun working with your hands. If you overclock high enough, you will find yourself tinkering with fans, case modifications, wiring and cabling, and so forth.

No, overclocking doesn't have to be expensive, driving you to purchases of better this and that. It's all a matter of when you can accept a level of performance and resist the temptations to go a step further. I'm not as obsessed as some, but I'm up there.