Crashing

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I'm having a crashing problem, and I think it's a graphics issue.

When it crashes, it crashes to black, and stops responding to anything less than the reset button.

It crashes frequently during heavy 3D processing. It only crashes in programs that use 3D. (That's why I think it's a graphics issue :vimp:) If I turn down Hardware acceleration, the problem becomes less frequent, and in some programs the problem is eliminated or allowed to recover after the crash. The problem seems to go away when I turn acceleration off completely, but I can't really tell because most of the programs that have the issue wont run at all with the acceleration turned off (or suffer some other severe issue (like no mouse cursor, for example)).

The problem got worse after I updated my video driver (for the Sapphire 9800pro 128mb AGP (the one I bought from PilotWings)), but seemed to get a little better (not much) after I updated my DirectX drivers.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything to do with video twice to no avail. I even bought more RAM (not just to fix this issue, I also needed more RAM for other things). The only other thing I can think of is a complete reformat of the HD. I don't want to do that if I don't have to. :aol:

I've been fiddling and tweaking for a month. I've tried everything I can think of (except the reformat), and the issue wont get any better. Does anyone have any ideas?

XP
1G RAM
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb AGP

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm "GUESSING" that it IS a graphics card issue... Heat is my first thought. Make sure the GPU fan is running... maybe look into removing the heat sink on the GPU and use a premium thermal paste.

But what do I know.... some say I know nothing, others say I know tons of crappy things....:scratch:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Damnme! Why do I never think of heat?!

Last time I was having a graphics crashing issue, it was because a cable had gotten lodged in the GPU fan!!

I should have checked that first... I'll look at it as soon as I get home from work.

Sometimes it's like I haven't been working with computers and troubleshooting problems for nigh on 20 years. Sometimes, it's like I'm a complete idiot.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm "GUESSING" that it IS a graphics card issue... Heat is my first thought.
    Words right out of my mouth. Check the fan. Remove card, remove heatsink, reapply thermal paste, remount the heatsink. 90% chance your problem will disappear.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    Sometimes it's like I haven't been working with computers and troubleshooting problems for nigh on 20 years. Sometimes, it's like I'm a complete idiot.
    I think my boss fits into that category too... :banghead:
    edited January 2006
    I looked at it last night, and there is nothing obstructing the fan, or some other obvious issue.

Tonight I'll try some icecubes...

Oh, wait, I wont be home tonight, I guess I'll skip the icecubes, then.

On Thursday evening, I'll pull the thing out and (re)gunk it. Assuming, of course, that I can find my tube of heat-glop, which I usually cannot... (not when I need it anyway... It's always sitting around when I don't need it..)
    edited January 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    pull the thing out and (re)gunk it.

hehe...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    You rascal! ;D