Serious Failure

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited January 2006 in Hardware
So I was playing world of warcraft while my computer freezes up and locks up, when I touch a key it minimized my game and poped different windows up like run and all this other crap. and I could only type with a limited keys so I shut down my comp.

Now when it loads windows XP it goes to a black screen...

Now what

:wow2: :wow2: :wow2: :sawed::vimp::rockon:

Comments

• BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited January 2006
    says keyboard failure when I press F8 IM SO CONFUSED OMG NO MORE WoW FOR MEEE NOOOOOOOOO
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Try a different keyboard. :)
    edited January 2006
    Ok im really serious here man this is getting scary, I tried switching the keyboard but no luck

im using windows xp service 2

I tried VGA mode, debug.... safe mode doesnt work

and suggestions? is my computer done for?

I mean it was working perfectly good untill narrator windows popped up and all madness:eek3:
    edited January 2006
    Bubbleman wrote:
    ...it was working perfectly good untill narrator windows popped...
    Check in Control Panel>>Accessibility Options and make sure you have turned on anything weird for your keyboard or mouse. There a bunch of stuff in there like "Sticky Keys" that could be causing your problem. You should also hunt around for the Narrator program and make sure that stuff is off, too.
    edited January 2006
    yes thats cool and all but i cant even get to my login screen for XP
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2006
    I'd suggest if you can't even get to windows it might be repair install time.
    edited January 2006
    any suggestions
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    bothered wrote:
    I'd suggest if you can't even get to windows it might be repair install time.
    edited January 2006
    ok im a noob so how would i do this i really need to get my comp
    edited January 2006
    Boot from the WinXP CD and proceed as if you were doing a clean install. At some point Setup will discover your previous version of Windows. Make sure you choose the option to Repair the existing version - NOT add a second one.
    edited January 2006
    I got to the part to repair and I pressed R and... my keyboard and everything locks up...

Sorry about my grammar I was typing from my PSP
    edited January 2006
    Go into the BIOS and check your temperatures and voltages. Then run Memtest-86.
    edited January 2006
    Ok I will run it when I get home.

Il
    edited January 2006
    Ok I will run it when I get home.

I ran a diagonostics first thing and it was all good except for the hard drive had a strand of data that had an error.

I really hope I can get this working again.:celebrate
    edited January 2006
    Was the HD error a Windows file system error or bad sectors (physical) error?
    edited January 2006
    Ok I have to state some things so answear them if you can in a fashion of 1-5

ok

1. Memtest 32 i have no idea how to burn it

2. Im using memtest 80 something now and trying to get that to burn which I still have no idea

3. Why would ram do anything with this problem of a black screen?

4. I keep getting NTLDR sometimes when I boot a CD it says" NTLDR is missing press CTRL ALT DELETE to reboot..."

5. Oh god I hope I can get this fixed

please answear quick
    edited January 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Was the HD error a Windows file system error or bad sectors (physical) error?
    edited January 2006
    I have no idea.... Ill rescan... I guess that is my current answear for that question... Do you think that maybe a system file is missing so now it doesnt load the login page?
    edited January 2006
    You can get a HD error because the drive is failing or because the data on the drive is scrambled. We need to know which it is before we go to the next step. :)
    edited January 2006
    oh ok... :smiles:

Should I still mess with memtest?
    edited January 2006
    Heres all the data I collected so far so please read.

1. Keyboard locks up on Black screen, XP repair meaning I cant even press num lock.

2. This is what the hardrive dianostics gave me about the error

(Window pops up)

Error ... Msg Block 74124941: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected. Contact Dell tech support for further info (which I cant do since I cant login...)

3. I ran memtest through 10 passes everything was good, ram passed. So I guess its not a RAM problem...

4. I ran IDE Hard drive diagonostics and it gave me....

Primary IDE

Drive 0: WDC WD500BB- 75DOAD- Fail (which is my main drive) so basically... It has to be some file on the hardrive is now gone...

I recently had spyware problems so maybe a file got infected and I removed it along with the file?

Drive 1: slave drive passed test.

Soooo thats all the info I have compilled

I would also like to know what that NTDLR missing thing means...

Please reply fast as im limited time on this comp
    edited January 2006
    Bubbleman wrote:
    ...4. I ran IDE Hard drive diagonostics and it gave me....

Primary IDE

Drive 0: WDC WD500BB- 75DOAD- Fail (which is my main drive) so basically... It has to be some file on the hardrive is now gone...

I would also like to know what that NTDLR missing thing means...
    The Western Digital test doesn't check files, it checks the physical condition of the drive. I'd RMA the sucker if it's at all possible.

What was the error code from the WD test? You'll need that for the RMA.

NTLDR Missing means that Windows can't find the files necessary to start. This is almost certainly due to the fact that your HD is whacked. :(
    edited January 2006
    RMA? what does this stand for?

I dont think I ran a western digital test it was from my OS ... ummm im confused but is there anyway to get my files off that HD

error code is 74124941
    edited January 2006
    0F00:0244

was the error code my bad
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2006
    Bubbleman wrote:
    RMA? what does this stand for?

I dont think I ran a western digital test it was from my OS ... ummm im confused but is there anyway to get my files off that HD

error code is 74124941
    Return Merchandise Authorization

There may be a way to get the data off of your drive, but depending on the severity of the issue, it may cost you. The drive is no good, and you might actually still have a hardware warranty from Dell. Have you called them about it being bad yet? What does this mean, "I ran a western digital test it was from my OS"? Did you run the utility from windows?
    edited January 2006
    Bubbleman wrote:
    0F00:0244

was the error code my bad
    Yes, that is a Dell HD Diagnostic Hardware failure code...
    edited January 2006
    yaa that was it... the utility from windows...

So how would I get the data off my drive?

I doubt there would be a warranty..... but anyway... so basically my drive died that fast?

I mean one minute im playing my game and the next... it dies?
    edited January 2006
    Well crap.... So its over?

How bout this...

I switch my drives with my 180gb and install the OS on that and start over... that could be my solution... But I had a lot of written stuff and artwork on that drive and now its gone (well its still on there I hope but it fricken cant log in)
    edited January 2006
    There is still a manufacturer warranty as the prof stated. It is usually 3 years, depending on who made the drive of course. There are some techniques that many employ to recover data from drives which range from software methods to hardware extraction to even freezing. Sector to sector duplication is a favorite among some, using a replicator machine. It just depends on how far you are willing to go. If you search the forum, there is someone here that does that sort of thing.
    edited January 2006
    I am willing to go all the way... so what do you suggest I do in the mean time?

switch the drives?