p4 3GHz E fun

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I just scored a p4 3 GHz E through work for free. gonna pick up a mobo and a heatsink. Any ideas on how high i can get this bad boy? I hope it kranks out some wu's for me

Comments

• BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2006
    okay i called a local mom and pop shop and they have an asus P4P800-SE or a msi 865PE-NEO2-V. which one would be a better mobo choice?
  • edited January 2006
    I'd vote for the ASUS but I'm just not a huge fan of MSI...
    edited January 2006
    i ended picking up a asus P4P800-SE. Im gonna get a tt big typhoon & a super lanboy case tommorow. I have a stick of kingston hyperx pc4000 for it. how high do u guys think i could get it up too
  • edited January 2006
    For one thing you'll need another stick of ram, that board is designed to take advantage of dual channel ram and while folding might not rely on ram volume so much I'm sure the low bandwidth will put it in a bind.

A 3.0E should be capable of 3.6 on really good air with ease but beyond that it's a crapshoot.
    edited January 2006
    k heres what i have:
    asus P4P800-SE
    p4 3GHz E
    2x 512mb Kingston hyper-x pc4000
    antec super lanboy
    tt big water se
    think i can get this system to 4GHz?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    I think you can easyly get it that high but it wont be prime 95 stable.
    edited January 2006
    how high do u think i can get it stable
  • edited January 2006
    Like madmat said, you should be able to get 3.6, especially if it's a later stepping 3.0E, but beyond that will be luck of the draw. If it's a D0 or E0 stepping, you stand a better chance to get a higher overclock.
    edited January 2006
    k hers whats on the chip

SL6WK MALAY
    L334A984
    M341A163
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2006
    Bud wrote:
    k hers whats on the chip

SL6WK MALAY
    L334A984
    M341A163

Looks like a D1 stepping.

Just an idea what you may expect.:thumbsup:
    edited January 2006
    so it should be a decent folder?
    edited January 2006
    i might sell it cause its getting expensive to get this thing going. How much could i sell the chip for?
  • edited January 2006
    About $100...That's for OEM, for retail about $130 give or take $20
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    asus P4P800-SE
    p4 3GHz E
    2x 512mb Kingston hyper-x pc4000
    antec super lanboy
    tt big water se
    think i can get this system to 4GHz?
    Do you actually have all those parts, or when you say "here's what I have" does it mean those are the parts on order, or the parts you have selected?

I can certainly understand about the box becoming expensive. It's so easy to dream up a new system and forget about some small things that turn out not so small.

Money saving suggestions: Get a cheaper RAM - PC 3200 or PC 3500. You can still overclock, just set the BIOS CPU/DRAM divider to keep your RAM at 400MHz; you can still advance the FSB. Get a TT Big Typhoon or Thermalright XP90/120 instead of the watercooling kit. (Your case is a bit small for watercooling, anyway.) With those changes you should still have a good overclocker and a knockout Folding box.
    edited January 2006
    the only parts i had are the cpu & 1 512mc pc4000 hyper-x. So far i purchased a mobo ($120), case ($100), and i was getting ready to drop some on ram. I was thinking sell it and return the case and mobo and maybe getting something i want. maybe another 820, opteron, or an x2.