unmountable boot volume

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hi guys, im new to this site and hope you can help me,
1 - whilst trying to play a game on my laptop it locked up forcing me to switch off using button, when trying to restart it goes to stopped responding screen giving me options to start in safe mode, or last known good config or start normally. Whatever i do at this point it doesnt do anything until after approx 2 minutes it goes to xp startup screen and then screen goes blue flashing up message "unmountable boot volume" before starting the above all over again. have tried booting from recovery disk but once it gets to recovery console whatever key i press does nothing. it is mobile 3.06 ghz pentium 4 532 ht processor running xp os. i have tried removing ram and swapping about as suggested on other threads with this fault but still no joy.
Any one any further suggestions?(getting to the limit of my pc knowledge now)
2 - if it does go back to manufacturers - fujitsu siemens for repair, i am running copy of office xp on it and several dvd copying programs with images of films are also on it. Is this likely to be a problem and drop me in the s*#t?
your help will be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Graham (sorry its a long thread)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Have you tried going to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /f? (The /f tells it to actually go ahead and fix any problems it finds.)

If that fails, you might want to give TestDisk a shot.

Don't send your drive to Fujitsu - you will never see it (or your data) again. Unless the drive is somehow physically damaged you should be able to get everything going again. :)
  • edited January 2006
    thanks for the reply, when i get to the recovery console it wont let me do any thing, any key i press it does nothing. As to sending laptop to fujitsu im not bothered about losing data, im more worried about illegal copy of office xp and dvds!
    edited January 2006
    Graham M wrote:
    ... im more worried about illegal copy of office xp and dvds!
    Graham, I'm sorry, but it's unlikely that anyone here is going to be too interested in helping you salvage your warez.
  • edited January 2006
    im actually not bothered about salvaging my warez! just worried about what fujitsu will do about them, im sure im not the only one out there who has copies of programs from friends etc
  • edited January 2006
    thanks for the responses guys (not) the only one who could be bothered to respond totally didnt read my thread and proceeded to accuse me of being more interested in keeping my "warez" than anything else. I can tell you that both you and i know that everybody uses copied programs. I did post this thread in total honesty hoping someone had been in the same situation of broken pc within warranty period with dodgy stuff on hdd. maybe youre all more clean cut than i thought, it would have been nice to at least get a yes, no, or not got a clue. instead i get one from person who thinks i am someone i am not.
    Rant over thanks
    logging off..............
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm (not) sorry we couldn't help you. Your presence here will surely (not) be missed.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    Graham M wrote:
    ... it would have been nice to at least get a yes, no, or not got a clue....

logging off..............

I'm sorry I missed this thread.

No.

Bye.
    edited January 2006
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    --Clare Boothe Luce
    Glad I could be of assistance! :wave: