which heatsink

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited January 2006 in Hardware
im debating between the TT Big Typhoon or a zalman CNPS7000A-Cu HSF. The stock cooler on my 820d isnt cutting it if i run folding all day it gets to 70 C and its scaring me. Im leaning toward the Big Typhoon cause its not as loud as the zalman. I have a intel d945p sn board will it mount okay onto it? Also im getting ready to put a 820d in a antec aria is there a small enough cpu cooler that does good for that system too. thanks for input

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    That's like comparing Porsche and a Hyndai. The Zalman 7000A and Big Typhoon are in two completely separate classes of cooling. The Big Typhoon is top of the line. The 7000A is mid-grade. I've used (and still use) both of those coolers.

Go with the Big Typhoon for full throttle running with an 820D. Check my signature. Even with that 800MHz+ overclock on my 820D rig, the Bit Typhoon keeps the CPU at full load (both cores) at 52-53*C. If you aren't overclocked, even at full load, you should see CPU temps in the 40's*C. Icing on the cake - it's one of the quietest heatsinks I've ever observed. Simply amazing.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2006
    what should ido about a the 820d im sticking in the aria though? i think these run hot with the stock cooler and im scared something small is really gonna get hot. I hit 71 last night in one of those big chieftec with 4 80mm zalmans (2 front & 2 back)
    edited January 2006
    I don't know what an Aria is. SFF case? If yes, I wouldn't run an 820D in it, or: 1) keep the case side (top?) open, 2) underclock the CPU. The 820Ds are very powerful, but also very hot, and there's just nothing you can do about it other than good cooling.
    edited January 2006
    yea its an sff case, dang it. when i lan i hate carry a big case. so that prob means a X2 wouldnt work either
    edited January 2006
    k im gonna get the tt big thphyoon or should i look at the tt big water se. its $50 more but its water cooling.
    edited January 2006
    its an sff case, dang it. when i lan i hate carry a big case
    I just looked up your case. I just don't see how you could mount any premium heatsink cooler in that case. That's a bookshelf case, or a LAN party case if your system is not hot running. Just not a good setup at all for an 820D. Sorry about that.

Something to consider for LAN parties is the Antec Super Lanboy. It's very light, comes with a heavy duty nylon strap/carrying handle, and has nearly the best size compromise that can be found - small enough to be portable, big enough for serious hardware. The height and length aren't much, but it's a very deep case. With TT Big Typhoon though, you might have to mount the rear 120mm fan on the outside of the case, which is a very simple task. I've got two of these cases and may purchase a third one. It comes with a plastic side window, which is very poor quality - hazy to look through. I've replaced these stock windows with plexiglass. Two or three times a year CompUSA has these cases on sale for $39.99. They are stock with the window and two ultra quiet Antec 120mm fans.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15001
    edited January 2006
    actually the case i have it in now is a chieftec that huge one that looks like the antec soho. i wanted to get something lia antec aria cause of my lan issues. I think ill pick up a super lanboy tommorow. But im debating a Big Typhoon or the big water se i figure $50 more and i can get water cooling that looks good and quiet.
    edited January 2006
    You are confusing me. You want a LAN party capable case but are considering water cooling? huh? Keep in mind, I do not have a Big Typhoon mounted inside one of my Super Lanboys. I don't know if it would fit. I think though, that it would, but that the rear 120mm fan would need to be mounted on the outside of the case. My System No. 3 (see signature) is housed in a Super Lanboy. The Zalman 7700 only fits because I bevelled the rear exhaust fan to allow clearance of the Zalman's fins.
    edited January 2006
    i know i want a lot. i want quiet, cool (temp wise), and portable
    edited January 2006
    i think im gonna get the antec super lanboy today and the tt big water se. Is it worth it to try and oc' this bad boy. If i wanted to i would have to upgrade the ram and board. Its a intel board with 2x 1gb ddr2-533 pny optima. If i got a better asus board and ram i would be looking 150 for mobo and 260 for some ocz (2x 1gb ddr2-667)
    edited January 2006
    so how this system look?