what to do?

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Alright, I really want to get some opinions on my dilemma.

I for all practical purposes need a new mobo. My current rig specs are in my sig.

Now the classic dilemma...do I upgrade or not.

1. I will have to sell some stock of mine to buy ANYTHING whether its $100 or $1000.
2. I could just buy another socket 754 mobo and be OK, not much $$.
3. I could upgrade to socket 939 which in turn forces me to get new mobo, new processor, new video card and new power supply. lots O $$$!
4. I could stay with the 754 setup (option 2) and wait for the socket M2, however that will force me to also buy RAM at that time, even more $$$$!

What I don't want is to get myself in the same dilemma as I am in now, AKA buying a setup just before a new style processor comes out and getting screwed on the ability to upgrade.

I love to game, I love to overclock, I don't have tons of time to spend on either, but that is life. as far as the $$ goes. I am not so sure I want to be spending gobs of my savings on an upgrade that is not really needed, just wanted; however it bugs the crap out of me not to upgrade when buying a mobo.

What would you do in my situation? What are you going to do?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I think I would decide based on what you need, not just what you want.

And it looks like you need a motherboard. If that is all you need, then I would replace and not upgrade.

My rule for what I tell my customers is that when costs to repair reach 1\3-1\2 of a new machine and it is possible and probable that further into the repair that I will be charging half the cost of a new machine in labor and parts, I tell them to upgrade to a new machine. Less than that, I say repair unless the machine is very old. I do computer tech for a living, and am certified for that (and am very experienced).
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    My advice would be to buy a MB at eBay and hang in there for the time being. With all the new stuff coming out it will pay to wait.

Either the latest and greatest will be so attractive that you'll be glad you saved your money right now, or it will at least drive the price of Socket 939 hardware down to a level lower than it is right at the moment.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Prof is right. You should be able to snatch up a good performing 754 motherboard on Ebay for relatively little mulah.