Hard drive shutting down

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Just wondered if anyone can help. My hard drive keeps shutting down I am using Windows XP Home Edition

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    can you be more specific? From what little you posted I would GUESS and I really want to make certain you understand that its a WILD GUESS (and I have been in the buisness over 20 years)

1) cables
    2) power supply

Now... can you be much more specific on all your exact hardware and exactly whats happening when the hard drive "shuts down"?

Thanks in advance. We really DO want to help. You just didnt give us a lot to work with

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    Sorry, I am a bit of a novice.

Seems to be when playing games or burning a disc the hard drive switches off.

Pull out plug and put in again I can then switch it back on.
    edited January 2006
    when you say it switchs off... You mean it (the drive) actually powers down? iT STOPS SPINNING OR WHAT ? And you pull the power plug.. (the one with four wires) while it is still powered up and it connects? Powered down or..... Please be as detailed as possible to get the best advice as we are not there like a normal repair tech. This is the internet and we depend on you for every ounce of info.

IF thats true I am now guessing power supply but you gave no details into your computer? Is it a home build? A Dell or what? Whats in it and whats the power supply rated at etc...?

AGAIN! We want to help and your starving us for info. Please be as complete as possible describing your computer. Yes we know its hard but do as MUCH as you can.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    It is the tower I am talking about it just shuts down then I said I take the plug out put it back in then switch the tower back on I have the cable and fuses but no good

I have AMD Athlon (tm) XP
    1.8 GHz
    224 Ram
    Windows xp Home edition
    edited January 2006
    Thats nothing like the original post. You get no errors or anything and the whole computer just shuts off? Thats nothing like having the hard drive shutting down. Your also plugging right into the wall righr? not into a switch or extension or UPS or anything right?

that sounds like the power supply. But we can not be sure. where are you located? PM or email me I can probably help ya out.

may also be overheating. Those cpu's run sorta hot and this happens when your gaming or doing intensive stuff so it may just be the cpu is getting hot and shutting down.

Tex
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    give us some details about the computer.

manufacturer, model, year, ect...
  • edited January 2006
    I thought this post was about my computer
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Suzanne, this thread IS about YOUR computer. Xphater, please wait until we get Suzanne sorted out, or start your own thread. We do want to get both of you up and running, but Suzanne did open this thread.

Suzanne:
    ...[if] thats true I am now guessing power supply but you gave no details into your computer? Is it a home build? A Dell or what? Whats in it and whats the power supply rated at etc...AGAIN! We want to help and your starving us for info. Please be as complete as possible describing your computer. Yes we know its hard but do as MUCH as you can.

We don't know whether it's a '71 Pinto or '05 Corvette. Please, open the case side, and write down what you can see from your power supply unit (probably the upper left of the computer) and the hard drive itself. I don't want to be condescending, but do you know what the hard drive is?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Suzanne, I'm inclined to agree with those who suspect that the problem may lie with your Power Supply Unit (PSU). Besides what Leonardo just suggested, can you go into the BIOS and see if there is a section reporting the voltages that the PSU is actually supplying?

If we know what the PSU is rated at and what it is actually supplying we can probably determine right away if we are on the right track. I've attached a picture of a typical label so you'll know what to look for. :)
  • edited January 2006
    Here is a copy of my system
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name YOUR-2WOY9TTJ9N
    System Manufacturer Time Computers
    System Model KM266-8235
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1813 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 20/03/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.2
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name YOUR-2WOY9TTJ9N\Simon
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 69.15 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 770.91 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 393.75 MB
    Page File Space 547.42 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  • edited January 2006
    I guess no one can help me
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Suzanne, the problem is quite possibly with your power supply.

The handicap we are working from is that no one wants to tell you to go out and spend a bunch of money on one without more evidence that the PSU is indeed the culprit. If you would tell us - as requested numerous times - what your current PSU is rated at and what your voltages look like then we could better advise you. I don't think you would consider us to be "helpful" if we had you spend your dough on something which didn't solve your problem. That is why we keep nagging you for those details. :)

Just over a year ago my dad had the exact same symptoms you describe. Once he told me the specifics of his current PSU and what his voltages were I had no reservations in recommending that he buy a new more powerful unit. It fixed his problem right away and his computer has been fine ever since. I would have felt guilty about taking the "shotgun" approach to computer repair by having him replace random parts one after the other until he got the right one. We don't want to do that to you, either.