Oc Basics

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
HEY GUYS. OKAY I JUST ORDER A NEW SYSTEM THAT IM PLANNING TO PUT TOGETHER ON THE 25TH (MY B-DAY!!!!!!!). THE SPECS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

AMD 64 3500+ VENICE CORE (ORDERED ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu LED HSF)
PATRIOT SIG SERIES 1 GB (2 X 512MB)
Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply
ASUS A8N-E ATX AMD MOTHERBOARD
SAPPHIRE 100106-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
KWORLD VS-TV878RF TV Tuner
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB SATA II
LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner

I WANT TO OC THE CPU, WHICH IVE ALREADY READ MANY TUTORIALS ON, BUT WOULD LIKE SOME MORE BASICS ON IT.

I ALSO WANT TO OC THE VIDEO CARD JUST ENOUGH SO THAT THE STOCK COLLER WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT.

THE LAST THING I WANT TO OC IS THE MEMORY IF POSSIBLE. I HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW TO DO THIS.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Go to Abit's website and download the manual for your motherboard. Start learning the different options under "Soft Menu", which is the section of the BIOS where you can adjust motherboard, DRAM, and CPU voltages. This is also the section that has options for CPU overclocking, specificially, settings to raise the CPU "Front Side Bus". It's essential that you are familiar with the BIOS before you start overclocking.

Have you ordered quality thermal paste? Before you start overclocking, you will need to mount the CPU heatsink and remount the video card's heatsink using a quality thermal transfer paste such as Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique. Your motherboard is based on the Nvidia Nforce4 chipset. It has a northbridge, which is not a true northbridge in the strict technical sense. It probably requires no more cooling efficiency that it already has, but it wouldn't hurt to remove the northbridge's heatsink, remove the factory thremal paste on the chip, and replace with Arctic Silver. Do you know how to properly apply thermal paste?

I don't know how much thermal headroom your choice of CPU heatsink will allow you for overclocking. I'm not all that familiar with the Venice core CPUs - how much waste heat they put out. I know that the CNPS 7000 would work decently for moderate AMD Barton core overclocking, but is just not sufficient for Intel P4s.

You will also need voltage and frequency monitoring software. Recommend you download and install Motherboard Monitor 5 before you start overclocking. You need to be able to monitor several system variables in order to overclock well:

CPU core voltage (vCore)
    DRAM memory voltage (vMem)
    Front Side Bus (FSB)
    memory frequency
    CPU frequency

There are two major factors in CPU overclocking - FSB and multiplier. For instance, a CPU may have a default multiplier of 14, with an FSB of 200MHz. This CPU would have a default (factory set) frequency of 2.8GHz, that is 14X200MHz. The multiplier on your CPU is probably "locked", meaning you can't change it. (Some, but very few CPUs, are unlocked, meaning you can adjust both the multiplier and the FSB for overclocking. All four CPUs in my signature are multiplier locked. Systems 1, 3, and four are all overclocked by raising the FSB.) Your CPU overclocking would start with you raising the FSB frequency. Back to the example I gave: a first overclocking step would be to say, raise the FSB to 205MHz, which would result in a CPU frequency of 2.87MHz, 14X205MHz, an overclock of 70MHz.

The main inhibitors to CPU overclocking are heat dissipation and adequate, stable voltages supplied by the PSU. The quality of the motherboard is also very important to properly regulate and distribute the electrical current. Sorry, I don't know anything about the quality or real world power output of the PSU you selected. The Abit motherboard you've picked is a good choice for overclocking. Good cooling of the motherboard (mainly the northbridge) and CPU are essential. You did not post what case you will be using. The best CPU heatsink/fan combination isn't very effective the heat removed from the CPU doesn't exhaust efficiently from the computer case.

OK, that's enough to think about before starting. Do searches of the overclocking threads here at Short-Media. Several members here overclock the same CPU here that you wish to.

I hope you understand the risk of overclocking. You can destroy parts doing it.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited January 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have you ordered quality thermal paste? Before you start overclocking, you will need to mount the CPU heatsink and remount the video card's heatsink using a quality thermal transfer paste such as Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique.

Thnx leaonardo, im getting Artic Silver 5. As for my mobo--i'm confused, why di u keep saying ABIT? is ASUS and ABIT the same? another thing-do u no anything about vga or memory overclocing??????? thans
    edited January 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    T why di u keep saying ABIT? is ASUS and ABIT the same? another thing-do u no anything about vga or memory overclocing??????? thans

Abit and Asus are not the same. Sorry, when I think "overclocking" I automatically think Abit. Asus does not have "Soft Menu", but their own BIOS overclocking settings. Let's work on CPU overclcocking before memory and video card, OK? Don't try to do everything at once.
    edited January 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Let's work on CPU overclcocking before memory and video card, OK? Don't try to do everything at once.

I'm not working on this yet anyway leo, i havent recieved my system yet. It comes on my b-day (25th) :birthday: . so do all asus boards have jumpers or do any of them have soft menus.

btw, how do u set ur sigs?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Once logged in, you can go up to the top of any forum page and click the quick links dropdown. One of the options talks about signatures and that is where you click to get to the signature editor.
    edited January 2006
    Most boards designed for overclocking don't have jumpers that need to be changed for overclocking. The upper-end Asus and Abit boards have very well appointed BIOSes with many options for voltages, FSB, and DRAM frequencies and timings. Overclocking via jumpers is old school, and old technology. The newest trend is overclocking via software in Windows. I've used overclocking software with MSI and Asus. In both cases, I completely uninstalled it. It's just not nearly as good as overclcocking through the BIOS.
    edited January 2006
    Thnx A Lot Leo. One More Question (i Have A Seperate Thread For It Also). How Long Do You Have To Give The Thermal Paste To "break In"?????????????? Thnx In Advance. Anyone Reading This, Post your Half-life Screenname If you Have one And Watever Server you're on most of the time
    edited January 2006
    SCAR, thermal paste doesn't need any time to cure/break in. Concerning Arctic Silver 5: it will perform slightly better (2*C at the most) after a day or two to cure. But regardless, any premium thermal paste, even freshly applied, will significantly outperform the factory pads and white (silicon) paste found on computers' heatsinks.

BTW, you should consider sticking to standard English and avoid the adolescent 'AOL Speak', such as:
    Any1 Reading This Post Ur Hl Sn If U Have 1 And Watever Server U Like
    Usually when I see writing like that, I dismiss the writer as a moron and don't read what he has to say. I know you aren't stupid. Your questions are valid. It's just that cool teenager talk really turns off a lot of people.
    edited January 2006
    how's that leo?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm in agreement.

It's just difficult to read, and sort of portrays an immature attitude. As Leo said, we know you're not stupid; just try to type normally. ;)
  • edited January 2006
    And it makes it much easier for old farts like me to understand what you are trying to say.;D ;D When I went to school a "computer" was made out of plastic and bamboo (a slide rule).:hair:

BTW, that's sage advice that Leo is giving; I do that very same thing when I am deciding on which motherboard to buy. I'll study the manual on the mobo and see if it has the options in bios I'm looking for.
    edited January 2006
    ya thnx guys. um hope u can understand that. i got the maual from the asus website (they make it hard to find) and i skimmed through most of it and read the RAID (I didnt know wat RAID was) and BIOS parts.
  • edited January 2006
    Sry for being a little off topic, but how much did you pay for the system (including taxes if applicable)?
    edited January 2006
    um $1,300 about Why?
    edited January 2006
    (I had a lot of extras not in my sig too)
    edited January 2006
    guys i havent o/ced yet and my cpu is at 35 C at small load (few windows open and stuff). How much room do you think i have to put it up? im at 2.2 ghz now.
    edited January 2006
    SCAR, you've got me confused. Are we presently trying to get your system to run properly, or are you past that and now ready to overclock?
    edited January 2006
    well leo, i had one problem, but some of my friends on halflife helped me fix that up so im ready to oc. thnx for the concrn though!!
    edited January 2006
    I was using the software that came with my Asus, and it lets you oc through windows, and i oced to 2.4 and then if i oc more it freezes and if i increase the voltage it freezes. i think i should in crease the voltage and the speed atthe same time?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    There is a Short-Media 754/939 in-depth overclocking article in the works. It should be published in the very near future.. stay tuned ;)
    edited January 2006
    haha... thanks lemon.. have u actually ever had that soda? its pretty good...
    edited January 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    haha... thanks lemon.. have u actually ever had that soda? its pretty good...

I didn't realize it is still being made :D
    edited January 2006
    well i didnt have that EXACT one, but i had this soda called limca once. im from india originally and thats real bid there! im in new york rite now.
    edited January 2006
    sry about goin off topic...
    anyway guys, my 3500+ venice is at 2.4__ from 2.2, and its 37 C at idle. is this a good thing??/ if so, how much room do i have to OC?? and how do you oc memory?
    edited February 2006
    is that article here lemon?
    edited February 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    is that article here lemon?

Sure is SCAR.. You can find it here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

It is rather long, but if you have patience with it, you'll find that it should answer all of your questions. It covers memory overclocking quite extensively too.

Let me know if you have questions.
    edited February 2006
    0_0 its long 0_0 no time to chat gotta start rea...