How Much Is Enough?

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I HAVE JUST ORDERED PARTS FOR A NEW SYS (http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41508) AND I WANTED TO KNOW HOW MUCH THERMAL PASTE IS ENOUGH. EVERYONE SAYS JUST A THIN LAYER ABOUT THE THICKNESS OF PAPER, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICTURES OR A VIDEO OF IT BEING DONE. I HAVE SEEN A POST FOR THIS SOMEWHERE MAYBE ON SOME OTHER FORUMS, BUT I COULDNT REMEMBER WHERE. THE PASTE I ORDERED IS ARCTIC SILVER 5 WITH A ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu LED CPU FAN. IF U HAVE PICS OR A VIDEO, POST IT OR LINK TO THEM. THANKS GUYS AND SM ADMINS.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    A click of AS5 big as 2 bits of rice in the middle of the cpu. The just use the heatsink to apply pressure and the goop gets smeared out by itself. No need to do that thin layer at all.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    i always use a dime size. that is what AMD's size says put a dab and spread to about the size of a dime... more than that usually isn't need. sometime people put allot on the Cap but in all honesty it really doesn't matter as long as it isn't gooping over on the mobo!
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited January 2006
    Ya guys i read that article on the AS website and read taht you're suppose to put a rice grain and a half sized dot on thier but it would be really nice to have a video. If you guys can find one great. I found a vidoe of the older pentiums and AS3 but i dont want to rely on that. Thanks guys, you've all been a big help to me through building Sytem 2 and i no im a little annoying :thumbsup:. May need a few more threads before im done, we'll see.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    The video on the AS3 still applies.
    edited January 2006
    Donut wrote:
    The video on the AS3 still applies.
    I thought it would too, but they used a plastic baggie and the pentium had no heat spreader and stuff.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    It doesn't matter - concerning the heatspreader. Just put a paper-thin (almost see-through) application of AS on the heatspreader to cover the whole. It won't be too much and you will know with 100% certainty that you have the the critical area covered.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    Yea but if you put too much then it can cause problems that you are using it to prevent in the first place ; overheating.

and uhh dont do this.
    42prosessor1.jpg
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    With AS5 the BB sized dot is plenty. I have used it on a dozen or more cpus and when you pull off a heatsink a few days later it has spread to completely cover the top of the CPU.

Now I do lap my heatsinks so the surface is very smooth, but the makers know what they are saying. A rice grain in the middle and let it spread itself. It's what it was designed to do.
    edited February 2006
    i got the perfect paste amount/cpu cooler combination. I've been HL2ing and F.E.A.Ring all day and im at 40!!!!!! (C)