HDD Controller errors.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Ok, I flashed the bios on my ASUS SLI Deluxe board to the newest version on the ASUS site and ever since then I have been getting disk controller errors on both of my SATA drives.

I've never downgraded a bios before, any suggestions?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Maybe if you try reinstalling your HDD drivers, update them ;)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    I agree.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    Yeah, I should have thought of that...DUH!

I'll give that a whirl and see if we get a fix.
    edited January 2006
    Doesn't Windows take care of those drivers automatically at install? There's no drivers to download on Western Digitals site as they say consult your MOBO vendor, and the ASUS site is just about useless unless you have a degree in broken english.

These included in chipset drivers? If so I'll update those.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Does your MB have a VIA chipset? If so download the VIA 4n1's if it's an NVidia Chipset, get teh NVidia drivers. That should do it. Or post what MB you have and we can look up the info I guess.

NM I see the type of MB you have, I was thinking of it even but wasn't "thinking" I guess ;D

BTW It's "Athlon" not Athalon ;)
    edited January 2006
    I'm going to DL the 6.6 nForce4 drivers off ASUS' site when I get home. Its an Nvidia chipset so that should stop that problem. I probably should have updated the chipset drivers before I did the BIOS flash.
    edited January 2006
    I already had the newest chipset installed. Still getting disk controller errors. Used the Western Digital diagnostic tool to test both my drives and they passed with flying colors.

Any other suggestions?
    edited January 2006
    anyone?
    edited January 2006
    yes. flash back to the bios that worked. Some just suk.

Tex
    edited January 2006
    I will try that then. I've never had to flash a BIOS down before. I'll continue this in the MOBO forum if I need to.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'd imagine it would work the same way as flashing a bios "up" ;) No worries, just the general "if this screws up I am so screwed myself" feeling I get every time I flash the bios, but nothing bad has happened yet.... just hope I didn't jinx myself just now lol.
    edited January 2006
    ASUS has a nice little self updating tool you can use to update the BIOS, but It won't let you downgrade the bios with that tool. All my personal systems before this one were P4s on intel boards so I never needed to worry about the BIOS (atleast not in the 4 years I used em). So the DOS method is very new to me.
    edited January 2006
    Its exactly the same. Just use the older bios. We used to have to do this all the time with the highpoint raid on the older abits. New release would be funky and we would flash back. Actually we were hacking in new versions of the raid bios faster then abit was releasing them.

Tex
    edited January 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I'd imagine it would work the same way as flashing a bios "up" ;) No worries, just the general "if this screws up I am so screwed myself" feeling I get every time I flash the bios, but nothing bad has happened yet.... just hope I didn't jinx myself just now lol.

Even worse then a "jinx" I have now applied the Texas Bios Curse onto you and all your machines. Your next flash will be one to remember always.

Bwahahahahahahahahah

Tex
    edited January 2006
    Tex wrote:
    Its exactly the same. Just use the older bios. We used to have to do this all the time with the highpoint raid on the older abits. New release would be funky and we would flash back. Actually we were hacking in new versions of the raid bios faster then abit was releasing them.

Tex

I'll retry that again, but the tool won't let me use an older BIOS only newer ones.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Yes it will let you use an older BIOS. If you look at the options on the Asus updater software, you can download a BIOS, store it in a folder, and use the updater to manually install whatever BIOS you saved. You are trying to use the automatic, one-step BIOS updater, which will only upgrade your BIOS. If it finds you have the most current BIOS, it stops right there. Download the BIOS of your choice (download, not install) to some folder. Use the Asus software to install the downloaded BIOS.
    edited January 2006
    Downgrading the BIOS didnt work either lol. /smacks computer
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    What kind of errors are you getting again? Is it a BSOD? Or something else?
    edited January 2006
    System error in the Event Log. I do get BSOD's while playing EQ2, and also when I try to play BattlefrontII I get a fatal load error and I have to reboot in order to play the game.

The controller error is on HDD0 and HDD1 which are both SATA drives. I never had this problem when my IDE drives were hooked up to it :grr:

I wonder if something is wrong with the SATA ports.