Putting a Shuttle SFF mobo in a regular ATX case?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Is it possible? My 240W psu isn't cutting it anymore and I want to add another internal hard drive.
It looks like it would fit, the slots should line up, the port cover would probably be useless, I'd lose the 6 in 1 card reader (oh noes) the rest of the connectors look to be pretty standard. My big concern would be mounting it to the chassis. I'd also need a regular heat sink as the heat pipe wouldn't work in a new case either.
The SFF is the shuttle SN85.

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Anyone?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    I don't see why it wouldn't. It's the same type of motherboard, just smaller. I would give it a shot. Just make sure you're grounded and don't fry anything!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Dan, most decent cases have pre-punched, threaded mounting holes for several sizes of motherboards. But I'm sure you already knew that. The motherboard in question is most likely micro-ATX...well, it had to have been if it was crammed in a SFF case. So yes, I don't know why it wouldn't work in your other case. Most "ATX" cases also have motherboard mounting patterns for micro-ATX.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    the mobo is a mini itx, not atx.
    I think I may take it partially apart to check the mounting holes and see if they line up or close then buy a case.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    you probably just need to move the mounting points if your case supports this. Otherwise there may be mounting points that already match up.