ZOMG computer keeps randomly restarting

edited January 2006 in Hardware
last semester my DTK computer wasnt working altogether so i took it to get fixed. came back to the states with it and for some reason it keeps randomly restarting. it restarts whenever theres something slightly intensive going on:

when i install big programs like world of warcraft
when i play world of warcraft and lots of stuff goes on
or randomly when im browsing the net and have tonnes of windows open

the weird thing is that what usually happens is that the screen flicks off first "no signal" with the sound still playing in the background, THEN it restarts...

sometimes it will retsart with the screen blank, with the windows startup music playing but nothing on screen.

i downloaded motherboard monitor. computer will start at around 20 degrees celsius when i switch it on, and when it hits around 48 degrees it generally restarts.

im currently using a 220 PSU, intel pentium 3, nvidia geforce 660 graphics card, have 2 fans which ARE working

i cant figure out whats wrong...

ive also noticed that if i place my computer by the window with the sides open it does slow down the heating and restarting, but the question is WHY is it heating up? fans are working... and theyre placed in a way that theres no "air short circuit".

I NEED HELP! :'(

Frank

Comments

• edited January 2006
    also when it restarts, it just restarts, theres no blue screen or anything. ive went to the options in windows where i unchecked the part where it says something like reboot at system error, but it STILL restarts.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    sounds like something is loose. Is the heat sink mounted on the CPU nice and tight?
    It could be the power supply that is heating up and causing a reset. Use your MBM to look at voltages. You don't need a huge PSU for your machine, but it might worth replacing anyway. If it is the PSU it could take your whole machine out if it compleatly fails.
    You are sure that everything is seated in the slots nice and tight also?
  • edited January 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    sounds like something is loose. Is the heat sink mounted on the CPU nice and tight?
    It could be the power supply that is heating up and causing a reset. Use your MBM to look at voltages. You don't need a huge PSU for your machine, but it might worth replacing anyway. If it is the PSU it could take your whole machine out if it compleatly fails.
    You are sure that everything is seated in the slots nice and tight also?

Now that you mention about the PSU, another point worth noting is i bought the computer in Hong Kong and i'm using it in the States right now... theres a switch at the back, when in HK its switched to 220volts, now cause im here its switched to 115volts (theres only 2 options). will this effect the computer? and how does this cause the computer to restart? what voltage should the computer be recieving? i dont know anything lol
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Well, I would hope it's switching to 115, which is the correct 'wall' outlet currency for North America. That operation at least, is the way it should be. You said the fans are working. Good, that's the first diagnostic step. The second, as mentioned above, is to ensure the heatsink on the CPU is not loose or somehow canted off-center. (If you don't understand any of the terminology we bring up, don't hesitate to ask for clarification. We don't know what your technical knowledge level is, but we're glad to help you learn.) What about the fans and heatsink - are they clean? Clogged with dust and lint? Don't forget the power supply unit. Peer in through the ventilation slats. If the internals of the PSU are dust coated, it could be overheating.