Computer I can hear but not see??

edited January 2006 in Hardware
My friend gave me a computer to mess around with it is a HP P4 etc. The problem is that You can hear the machine boot up lights go on but no POST, and no video. The monitor I tested with another and works, The video card I tested it works. I took the CMOS battery out for a while and put it back in. I cleared the CMOS. The computer you can hear run and HD run. The power supply works, the RAM is new, I feel it is definately a MOBO issue, Just trying to think the next step.ANy help Thanks

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    Sounds to me like you are on the right track. You didn't put what model of HP it is, but some will actually halt and display a code on LEDs on the mobo. Do you have anything like that? Fans?

Are you sure you reset the BIOS? Generally you remove the battery for about an hour and/or use a jumper. Check the book on the machine to be sure.

I'm sure other ideas will come if others think of them .

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Do the internal fan(s) spin up when you try to boot? How dusty is the inside of your case? Can you get any display at all? If not try to reseat your vid card. If it's a PCI card try another slot. You could also try to remove all but 1 stick of ram and see if you get anywhere then.

I know it's alot of questions but bear with me. (this might help somebody else also)

Do you get any POST beeps at all? (i'm not familiar with HP. I'm assuming they have beep codes also)

Do you have another machine, or spare parts that could be used for testing purposes?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Does it work with the old video card?
  • edited January 2006
    Sorry it's a SONY VAIO Yes, the internal fans spin at BOOT, No dust, can't get to display, brand new video card, tried to start with one RAM stick, cleared CMOS, No POST beeps, removed battery entire day,Still can't get display to work, no POST codes, or beeps.
  • edited January 2006
    Sounds like you've got a dead motherboard...
    edited January 2006
    xxnonamexx wrote:
    Sorry it's a SONY VAIO ...

Ah. Laptop. Unless a better thought comes along-
    madmat wrote:
    Sounds like you've got a dead motherboard...

R. I. P.
  • edited January 2006
    Sony makes desktop Vaio's....this doesn't mean it's a lappy.
    edited January 2006
    xxnonamexx wrote:
    ... Just trying to think the next step.ANy help Thanks
    madmat wrote:
    Sony makes desktop Vaio's....this doesn't mean it's a lappy.

You're right, matty. It's just the first thing that pops up when you Google. I'm doing the research so I can break either way. But from the post- well, er, it is likely and hopefully a desktop- we now know it isn't an HP. But from context we can assume a desktop- thanks.

amex- you can try a BIOS replacement or simply replace the mobo. Personally- the BIOS replacement (www.badflash.com) might do it- a mobo replacement likely will. I'd go mobo.

Sorry for all the editting folks- (tech support in training)