Quake 4 SMP

reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
edited January 2006 in Gaming
Hey. Is anyone out there using Quake 4 with SMP? I'm getting a Dual Core processor setup and am just curious to see if there is any advantage? Thanks for any info.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Yes, it uses SMP. Yes, it's worth it.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Quake 4 loves my dual core :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Then it's settled, I'm buying a dual-core today.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I didn't know Q4 was SMP, I have a dual core but since I don't have a non dual core rig what's the real difference here guys? Just curious myself since the game doesn't run very well past 800x600 on my system.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I didn't know Q4 was SMP, I have a dual core but since I don't have a non dual core rig what's the real difference here guys? Just curious myself since the game doesn't run very well past 800x600 on my system.

Well, you need the 1.05 patch is seems, and then you need to enable it in the in game console. r_smp 1 I think. correct me if I'm wrong. It should help you out a bit.
  • edited January 2006
    From what I can tell the video card is too much of a bottleneck to make that big of a difference (unless you have a 7800+).
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm showing a difference in some of the benchies I found. At least enough for me to try when I get home :) I'll report back the findings.
    edited January 2006
    Definitly want to see that. I'm hoping UT2007 will have SMP support and 64bit support. That would rock!
    edited January 2006
    BTW, I found this which explains how to optimize Athlon dual core machines with some registry edits as it is currently optimized for Intel. Intel and id developed the SMP code together.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=216&page=1
  • edited January 2006
    If you have an nVidia card it looks to me like you're SOL until nVidia fixes their drivers.
    edited January 2006
    Now that just sucks. I just got all new stuff too.
  • edited January 2006
    Me too, but I believe that once Vista is released there will be more games designed with dual core systems in mind from the start, like those based on the Unreal 07 engine.
    edited January 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Me too, but I believe that once Vista is released there will be more games designed with dual core systems in mind from the start, like those based on the Unreal 07 engine.

mmmmmmmmm, Unreal 2007. I can't wait for that. I was just playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on Windows XP 64bit. It would be so sweet if there was an Unreal 2007 with SMP and 64bit support. :vimp:
  • edited January 2006
    The 64-bit version of UT2k4 runs slower than the 32-bit version (as shown by benchmarks), unfortunetly.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm about to bench it, I made the registry changes and all, have a backup of the NVIdia drivers set to disable all SMP support and one that enables it(default) so I can switch.

Unfortunatly I didn't read the part that mentions that the 1.5 patch may actually decrease performance before installing the 1.5beta patch. But I'll find out at least with the 1.5beta the performance difference between SMP and non SMP.

BTW My system is an X2 3800+ with an Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Motherboard and 2GB of PC3200 DDR. The memory is set to run at default ratings by setting it to 333 in my BIOS so while my Processor is actually running at 2.4GHz the memory is running at 400MHz :) Could probably do better but at this speed I have plenty of performance and I have yet to crash since I built it ;)

BTW I have a Geforce 6600GT 128MB, only one, so no SLI :(
    edited January 2006
    yeah, but it's the geek factor of playing a game in 64bit!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I don't think I'll be benching right now. I dunno what I am doing I guess, cuase it's not working in the console for me. Settings are not holding. The game crashes during benchmarking.

But without any setting change I can play the game fine at 1280x1024 with MAXED OUT settings. Ultra High Quality, 4x AA, Full detail and everything. I can see the framerate drop a bit, but I have no numbers. This is a big jump though since before I wasn't able to run more than 800x600 at high quality settings with 4x AA.

BTW does anyone notice any difference with 4x AA? It just doesn't seem to even be working.

So the game looks nice, but now I don't plan on playing anymore becuase I am getting pissed at the games constant "RUN EVERYWHERE AND DO EVERYTHING FOR ONE DAMNED TASK AFTER ANOTHER" gameplay style. It got old real quick. I get tired of running in circles after a couple thousand times.
    edited January 2006
    there was somehting in one of the articles that I will find. They said a timedemo is no good to bench SMP, becuase it won't use the second processor. You need to do a netdemo, which acutally runs through some scenarios in the game.