insanly slow WU?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Folding@Home
ok, my first WU was 500 or whatever, the next one was 20,000. and i though it would take a long time but it only took a couple days. but this one is only 3,000. (nothing compared to 20,000, and i know it was 20,000 not 2,000) and yea the 3,000 WU already has 1,973 finished and it says WU end 37 days. thats insnaly slow, do i actually have to wait through that whole 37 days for 3,000. or is something wronge?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    ok, my first WU was 500 or whatever, the next one was 20,000
    HOLY MOLEY, I want one of those! :eek2::eek2: :bigggrin:

You are confusing "points" with "steps". The enormous complexity of the model of a folding protein molecule, for the purposes of computer simulation, is broken down into steps, e.g. 20,000, 30,000 or what have you. Steps are further subdivided into "frames". The overall difficulty of processing the entire work unit is considered by Stanford when the award points for the different work units. Point levels for different work units generally range from approximately 64 to 600, depending on the complexity of the work unit (simulated protein molecule) to fold.

My laptop, on which I'm currently writing this post, is Folding the work unit "Protein 118, p1912_ALA-dipeptide_umb2". The unit has 2110 steps, which are subdivided into 100 frames. The work unit, when successfully completed will earn 450 points.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    The 37 days could be the deadline, Stanford would just like to have it back before then. If you know the protein name you can look it up at the FAH website and it will tell you the deadlines, no. of points, and the core.
    I'm in edit mode right now and to lazy to look up the link. check the faqs at the top of the page.:D There's all kinds of good stuff there. (stats sites, sig generator, official Stanford site, folding forums,etc)
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    ok, thanks alot. it ended up taking like 2 1/2 days not 39. lol