What's Your Favorite Motherboard Brand?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
For people who are looking at new build's I thought it would be nice to give them an idea of what everyone uses or likes to use. So lets see what you guys prefer and why. I'd love to hear your good and bad experiences too.. Prof?????

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2006
    Asus baby, then MSI :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    MSI baby, then Abit. :D

I do, however, know of at least one Asus MB that is a real winner! :cheers:

If I ever decide to get back into the OC'ing game I might change my mind, but for ease of use, plenty of features, and excellent stability I'd buy MSI.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Nice prof nice
    the ASUS A8N-32SLI is also a keeper!
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    I like Gigabyte, then Abit and MSI. I've had a lot more, such as Shuttle and ASUS. Hopefully Abit won't go to crap now that they have been bought. I had a Gigabyte and it was great and now I'm getting another. The Abit I had to send back once, same with the ASUS. All good overall, as not all will be perfect boards.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    EPoX
    Abit
    DFI

Good Boards, Stable, Great BIOS Options, Easy to Overclock
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Tyan owns all.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    ASUS

A7N8X
    A7N8X Deluxe
    P4P800 Deluxe

Used to have a 440BX P2B-(?forgot- for a PII 400) and donated it- still works

All I've ever owned, all still work. At work we have scores deployed- the vendor has received a few Inop, but of the ones that deployed since 2000-we've had many component failures ... including one CPU failure- but 0 ASUS failures. 'Nuff said. :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2006
    Asus on new AMD board and I love my Chaintech...stout as all get out.
  • edited January 2006
    Lately it's been Asus. I've recently built rigs using the P4C800E-dlx and P4P800SE and they were a breeze to setup and overclock using the CT-479 adapter card and 533 fsb Pentium M procs. I also like my EPoX board which has been very upgrade-friendly with the X2/Opteron DC procs. I aslo built 2 folding rigs with the DFI NF3 250Gb socket 754 board in the last year and they were also great boards to setup. I'm staying away from Abit until they can prove to me that they have improved their QC over what they have been doing lately since they got into their financial bind.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    It used to be Abit but since their slide down the big tube I have no desire to own any more. Although I currently own 3 DFI boards I am not a loyal fan or anything yet. I will wait to see how future offerings pan out there. It is odd that I like and see so may people with nicely equiped stable Asus boards but don't own any myself. Fot the average person I probably would recomend an Asus over most. MSI has always been in my list of favorites and I have had them on and off. Epox has had some real nice boards for some time now but so far there have been too many other temptations to try more than the 2 I have had in the past. But I am very very seriously considering an EP-9NDA3+ for a current project. There are too many good boards from several quality makers to have just one favorite!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    DFI is the only one (besides Chaintech.. woopdie doo) that I've worked with, so I voted for it. I would probably say Asus is a favorite one of mine too just from all the good things I've heard about them.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    There are too many good boards from several quality makers to have just one favorite!
    Good Point!:thumbup
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Tyan owns all.
    He spekes truth...I chose MSI tho.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Disclaimer first: I've never built with DFI, Epox, Gigabyte, Aopen, or Chaintech, or Epox, or Gigabyte. I have built systems with Abit, Asus, MSI, and ECS only.

In order of preference:

Abit - have not built a recent board so have not experienced the bad. Not the easiest motherboards to get set up and tweaked, but once the sweet spot is found, these boards are HIGH performers.

Asus - great compromise of speed, stability, and performance, but not the highest in any of those categories. (But man o' man, I'd love to have the Asus P5WD2, the ultimate for Socket 775 overclocking, so I hear!)

MSI - the boards are so easy to build systems with, it ought to be illegal. it's just too easy! Smooooth, but just too mellow and not high performers. Rock stable, though.

ECS - yawwn. but a good value
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Abit - on every abit board I have ever owned I had only initial problems setting it up. I dunno yet why to this day, but after getting it running for the first time. I never have problems again, ever.

MSI - I loved my MSI board, good all around boards with great features.

Asus - This one is third in my opinion only becuase I haven't played with any other brands recently in the past 2 years or so. Asus has not played well for me, but they worked at least and were decently stable. But not a brand I tend to buy unless the reviews are outstanding and no real issues are shown by others.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    My last two boards have been DFI, and they now take my #1 position.

Runners up: Asus, Epox
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Asus - great compromise of speed, stability, and performance, but not the highest in any of those categories

How very true. And I'm willing to bet the others might have as good quality records too for ....
    mtgoat wrote:
    There are too many good boards from several quality makers to have just one favorite!

I'm with Omega65 here. One of the reasons I like this site- how true! I've been tempted by both DFI and MSI for reasons that straddle ASUS's mainstream approach. Who was it that said, "Where you stand on an issue is a function of where you sit"?
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited January 2006
    I vote asus because that is what I used for my first and only computer build.
    I did alot of research before I decided to use asus. Concensus was asus was the most reliable and stable for socket A.
    DFI and ATBIT were close second IMO
    Seemed like dfi was the best overclocker but people had alot of problems with stabillity when they overclock though.Had problems that made them have to reformat.
    This computer has been totally stable.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I've had good experiences with Abit and Epox. Nothing against Asus, I consider them roughly equal to Abit, but the only Asus board I have any experience with is the one in IC_11. My Chaintech board is stable, but a little lighter on the features than I would have liked.

I'll never buy ECS again. I mourn the day the K7S5A was made. A friend of mine's board actually shot sparks out the back of the USB ports. Yeah.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    ...I mourn the day the K7S5A was made. A friend of mine's board actually shot sparks out the back of the USB ports. Yeah.
    MB's that go T.U. tend to stick in my memory. One of those was a K7S5A that decided to send smoke signals from a little chip up by the PS/2 area. (I'd tell you which chip it was, but it was too cooked to read the label and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

Shooting sparks out the USB ports might have made it worth it, though. :vimp:
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited January 2006
    It's tough. My Abit NF7S and all other Abit boards have been rock stable, once setup. But as my needs have changed, my dual PIII Tyan and my dual Opteron Tyan boards have shown to be the best. My Asus boards, other than the one in my sig, have been complete failures and the A8N-SLI Dlx that I use as an E-mail/surfing box is really one of the biggest peices of crap I have ever had the displeasure of using. It's implementation of the NF4 chipset is pathetic. It might be nVidia's fault, but seeing that no one else has the file transfer problems/USB problems that I have experienced I have to chalk it up to Asus.

Flint
  • edited January 2006
    Asus then abit...wish the poll allowed multiple choices !
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Tyan makes great industrial quality motherboards mostly, but for the individual I like the Asus's I use here.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Anymore votes? i know there is a lot more members out there! lurking around!
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2006
    ive always had great luck with asus. I couldnt name how many i owned and, also how many i killed overclocking way too high. Ive had a8n sli deluxe for little over a year now rock stable never any issues. Had good luck with the abit nf7-s owned 5 of them never hd issues. Also happy with msi and shuttle.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    SuperLogo.gif

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited March 2006
    Asus then MSI....i had a lot diferent brands like.. epox..gigabyte...DFI

But ASUS always provide me with the longest durability and performance.

cya

Asus A8R-MVP
    Asus 1900XTX
    AMD A64 3500+
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
    1GB 2x512MB Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special
    WD SATA 80GB
    WD SATA 160GB
    NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A
    TechniSat DVB-PC Skystar2 Rev.2.3
    Samsung SyncMaster 913N
    Lian Li PC 65B
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Don't know how i missed this one. Must have been too busy else where.

Discounting the 80's, our first encounter was Gigabyte. Quite happy with it.

As we became more adventurous, Abit till they fell in a heap.

Asus was a unhappy experience till Sally overclocked it somewhat and now it's stable as a rock.

MSI has given us a very good run for our money, unlike our DFI NF4 Ultra-D.

Building a computer for Sally at the moment with the latest Asus board. Got high hopes for that.

I'm venturing into TYAN territory as of next week. This should be very interesting as i could not get hold of my initial choice, Asus K8N-DL.

Now to deal with 2 procs on one board.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Of all the boards I've used, I liked Asus the best. They've had the highest overall quality throughout the line. then again, each mobo decision I make is an individual solution based on the needs of that PC, so I've had a lot of different mobo manufacturers in my PC and others I've built. Asus is usually the first place I'll look, though.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Mobo's I've used over the yrs
    ECS,MSI,Biostar,Gigabyte,Asus,Abit.
    I liked the Asus & Abit the best. Gigabyte & MSI second.
    Am going to try the DFI with Opte 170 sometime soon.