Problems with the Radeon 9800 Pro

edited March 2006 in Hardware
I'm having a problem that I've seen described on this forum before and I've read these threads and followed them and it seemed it was a overheating problem, but I recently installed a zalman fan onto the card to replace the flimsy one that comes with it, but alas the problem still persists. I also tryed installing the latest ati drivers and the oldest drivers I could find.

My system:

3GHz P4
1.5Gb ram
Medion Radeon 9800 XL
17" and 15" moniters

What usually happens is after I've been playing a game (WoW or Counter strike source) for anywhere between 45mins to several hours, I get colours streaming down the moniters. If I then shut down and start the PC back up, I could then browse the internet and watch movies fine, but if I load a game back up I get the same problem. The card is about 2-3 months old, but I had this problem before with a older card (the same model) and when the new one got installed I got exactly the same problem.

Any ideas?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Did you change the gpu heatsink? Do you have ramsinks on that card?
    What thermal compound did you use?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    definitly sounds like a heat related issue.
  • edited January 2006
    I have ram heatsinks but I never installed them. When I say fan, I mean the heatsink and fan as a package. I used Antec Silver Thermal Compound.

This is the new fan in question
    vf700_culed_f_p.jpg
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited January 2006
    you should check your temps in the ati control panel. I was having a problem with my zalman and I checked the temps and it was at 70+c so I opened up the case and the fan was not spinning, I reconnected it to another lead and it spun right up.
  • edited January 2006
    heheh, yes I made sure the fan was working, I sometimes take the side panel off to increase the cooling :P
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2006
    when the side panel is off does it still happen?
  • edited January 2006
    yep, but it takes longer for it to happen, which again points to heating problems, but the zalman fan on it would suggest otherwise :S
  • edited January 2006
    mmm, here's a intresting development, last night I installed the lastest drivers with the intnetion of undercocking the card to solve the probmlem, I went into the overclocking options and set the speeds to the calculated speeds, and the computer worked perfect for about 34-6 hours, and playing games fine as well. At this point I thought the problem was solved and I could go back to normal, but last night I also installed SP", then this morning the problem is backbut ALOT worse than before, the problem not arrises whenever the PC is on, and just browsing the web. Thanks SP2,.
    edited January 2006
    have u tried ati tool. it adjusts the speed of the card and tests where its stable at? also have you tried reseating the zalman heatsink?
  • edited January 2006
    The reason I updated the drivers was so I could get into some overclocking settings so I could underclock it to stop the overheating, I would try and re-seat the fan but I think that would be a waste of time. I think the overheating problem might not be from the card but somewhere else in the PC.
    edited January 2006
    have u tried taking a box fan to the side of the computer to keep it cool? also have you tried powerstrip to underclock it? one last thing. have you use any temp monitors to see if you are overheating?
    edited January 2006
    i looked on google about your card and it looks like a lot of people are complaining about overheating. I would try downclocking the card as far as powerstrip will let you and see if it is stable. Also what type of case is your system in and how many case fans are in there?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    To the best of my knowledge, the problem you have described almost always indicates a hardware problem with the video card. I do not think it is related to any of the other hardware in your computer. If it persists despite underclocking and remounting your GPU cooler (yes, remove it and remount it just to make sure it's snug), I would say your card is on the way out of service.
  • edited January 2006
    I agree with Leonardo. I had the exact same problem you described, but with a 9600. It turns out that the heatsink just wasn't seated correctly on my card. Rather than fix it myself though, I sent it back to the retailer, who bumped me up to a 9800 Pro as a replacement, no extra charge!
  • edited February 2006
    I had the same problem and found it was not a graphics card problem at all... My power supply couldn't handle the intense demand that the 9800 puts on it, and thus would display crazy colors all over the screen and then result in the computer crashing. The question now is, how much power can your power supply put out? This has proved to have been the definitive answer in most screen scrambling ATI graphics card issues.

I would reccomend the Antec Neo 480W power supply for use with a graphics card. It's around 80 USD, but well worth it.

Your lucky you even got 45 minutes of gameplay haha... Mine would crash within 10 minutes of TS2: N...

So please post your wattage for your power supply and I can further analyze the issue from there.
  • edited February 2006
    Hey,

Thanks, that sounds like a very good reason. Mine is a 350W power supply.
  • edited February 2006
    also here is a picture of the insides of my pc
    The guts
    image1333xe.jpg

A close up of the fan/card
    image1326fo.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    It sounds like a thermal issue to me because it occurs after some time, but the PSU may also deserve some attention. Looking at the image above, it appears to be a 'no-name' jobber. Do you have any monitoring software installed? i.e. Motherboard Monitor/SpeedFan etc? I'd like to know what your +12V, +5V and +3.3V rails are reading. If any of them are drooping too low, it could easily cause your 9800pro to go on the fritz. If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, I'd pick up a higher quality power supply regardless. I'd look for a name-brand (like Antec, Enermax, Fortron, OCZ) somewhere in the 400+ watt range. Look for something that outputs at least 25A on the +12V rail. Even if it does not solve your issue, it is a worthwhile investment, especially with a power hungry 3GHz P4.

Have you tried to remove the side panel and point a household fan blowing towards your PC?
  • edited February 2006
    Well what detracts me from the thermal issue is that when I left the house today I left my bedroom window open and the room was freezing, and when I put on the PC it went funny automatically, but I simply restarted it and it was fine, and this to me rules out the overheating issue, I mean look at the fan I have on it, I may try putting the ram coolers on it though and see if that helps any.

I'll dl some of dem apps tonight and report back when I have some spare time. Thanks for the adivce.
  • edited March 2006
    I'm having the exact same issue.

I'm using a...

AMD Athalon XP 2600+ 1.9Ghz
    1G ram
    ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128mb ram
    450w Power supply

To try to address the issue I purchased the new 450 watt psu AND swapped out the stock heatsink and fan for an Arctic Cooling Silencer (applied very carefully with arctic silver 5 thermal compound). I've updated all the drivers from ATi AND all the drivers for my motherboard(SiS chipset). Readings from my power supply are...

CPU Core: 1.61
    +3.3V: ~3.21
    +5V: ~4.95
    +12V: ~12.31

Unfortunately, the GPU doesn't have a temperature node built in but my CPU Temp is running a little hot at 52-55c with the case open (it runs this hot with my old card in as well *shrug*). I have 2 case fans plus my PSU sucks a lot of air out AND the GPU cooler sucks air out the back of the case too. I've tried underclocking by 20 or so mhz with ATi Tool and still have problems.

I think my next try is to get a new CPU cooling solution but after spendning almost as much $$ on trying to fix the problem as I spent on the card... I think its a lost cause.

I am at my wits end!!!

Thanks in advance for any help and Diesel... I feel your pain
  • edited March 2006
    exact problem im not sure what to doi
  • edited March 2006
    I had the same problems, same symtoms. It was my power supply..funny though, it acted as if it was heat...but it wasn't. I even went to the lengths of getting a new fan like you, didn't help at all.
    Then a month later I put a dent into my 9800 and I had to order a new one. Lol..oh well :)
  • edited March 2006
    Darcess wrote:
    I had the same problems, same symtoms. It was my power supply..funny though, it acted as if it was heat...but it wasn't. I even went to the lengths of getting a new fan like you, didn't help at all.
    Then a month later I put a dent into my 9800 and I had to order a new one. Lol..oh well :)

Im not sure its the power supply.....:necro:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hi Darcess and xM1k3x..

Welcome to Short-Media. It appears that there are four possible reasons for graphical corruption on a 9800 series graphics card..

1) Heat - Look for a fan that has failed, or a heatsink that is clogged with dust. Ensure adequate case airflow. To test, you can place a household fan blowing on the side of the PC (with the case door opened). Obviously, you'd have to replace the dead fan, but if the fan/HSF are ok, you may need to increase airflow.

2) Power - If the power-hungry 9800 pro is not getting what is needs as far as amperage/voltage, it can begin to exhibit artifacting and all sorts of odd behavior. I'd recommend testing your voltage rails by using the information here: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27845 using a multimeter will provide more accurate measurements. If your +12V, +5V or +3.3V rails are not within +/-5% of the ratings, you should consider a new PSU. The 9800 pro seems to be sensitive to this.

3) Excessive Overclocking - If you have tweaked/tuned your card by increasing core/memory clockspeeds, this can cause artifacting if set too high. If you have never overclocked the card, don't worry about this option. You can, however, download ATITool and 'underclock' the card. This is a way to troubleshoot power/heat issues as well.

4) Defective card - If heat/power is not an issue, there is a good chance that you have a bum card. Problems with the video ram may only become apparent after it 'warms up' a bit.

Hope this info helps.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    After seeing the pics it looks like Diesel's problem is due to the fact that his card has no airflow. There is next to no space between it and the bottom of the case and is suffocationg in it's own heat. Even removing the side panel would likely not help that situation much. I also see that the PSU does not appear to be one of reputable quality.

I think most peoples problems are from this very same issue. They simply have insufficient case circulation and ot a less than reliable PSU. Even though someone can post a screeie of nice voltages at idle doesn't mean they are close to the same under a substantial load!