DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Folding@Home
Hey all I just rebooted my pc and my frame rate went from 13s/frames
to 1h26m/frames.
Is this normal,will this speed up?

Comments

• Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited January 2006
    Is it a different WU? Maybe the first one corrupted? I don't know much, I just wanted to say something.

Someone smarter will be along shorter to solve your mystery.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    lol well it's was good to hear from ya and hello
    and no it's the same one
    edited January 2006
    Ok it's back to 16s/frame I can live with that.
    sorry for being a pain. But these are things I don't know but now I do.
    I'm glad I put it here and didn't become a pain to anyone in IMs
    :D
    well back to the party:celebrate
    it's my step daughter B-day so bye for now
    Keep Folding all
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    The estimated and actual times for work unit completion and for frames completion will vary depending on the work unit being processed and on the activity of your computer. On my laptop, just a simple screen saver running high resolution photographs will double the time for completing a frame. When I leave work in the evenings, I set the screen saver to run a very simple OpenGL screenie that uses very little system resources.
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited January 2006
    I actually use EnditAll to end all unnecessary processes, and have no screen saver. I am back to the stone age when you had to actually shut your monitor off. Not sure how much it helps though.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Liquid81 wrote:
    I actually use EnditAll to end all unnecessary processes, and have no screen saver. I am back to the stone age when you had to actually shut your monitor off. Not sure how much it helps though.

My monitor is set to shut off after 10 or 15 mins. mainly to save on a little electricity.
    edited February 2006
    During the day when I'm at work and at night, I turn off all the monitors at home to save on the electric bill. But I blew that savings as soon as I built this dual Presshot rig and started running it 24/7. :hair:

;D
  • edited February 2006
    DogDragon wrote:
    Ok it's back to 16s/frame I can live with that.
    sorry for being a pain. But these are things I don't know but now I do.
    I'm glad I put it here and didn't become a pain to anyone in IMs
    :D
    well back to the party:celebrate
    it's my step daughter B-day so bye for now
    Keep Folding all

we are here to help you with any questions.feel free to ask us event the littlest things. hope your daughter had a great birthday!

bikerboy
    edited February 2006
    Yes she had a GREAT one. Maybe to great she had to spend the night, But all had fun.
    That reboot costed me 4 hrs.
    So now I always shut down at nite,But have been leaving it on 24/7
    This is something I don't know will it hurt the pc leaving it on 24/7
    I was understanding you need to shut down at lease once a day to keep
    it running smooth.
  • edited February 2006
    you can leave it on all the time. i know that a lot of ppl in these forums do. i leave all three of mine on 24/7. the one hasnt been shut down for over a month and it runs great.

bikerboy
    edited February 2006
    I was understanding you need to shut down at lease once a day to keep it running smooth.
    Windows 95 and 98 were often that way, but that was six years ago. As long as your computer is fairly clean from dust and lent, continual running will not hurt it. There is an argument that the expansion-contraction cycle of hardware parts, due to the heating and cooling or the startup-shutdown cycles causes structural fatigue and actually will damage parts faster than continual running.
    edited February 2006
    Thanks bikerboy for letting me know the people choice is to leave it on.
    Also what are you doing with three? I mean my house have two mine and my wife's,and if I touch it.
    Let just say this Dog KNOWS better
    Thank Leonardo for giving me the physics which make total sense and all can understand even me.
    The bad thing is you're saying I'm 6 yrs behind the times Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Wife says 20 Hope you're right,HATE proving her right lol :)
  • edited February 2006
    2 of them are on 24/7 just for folding and the other one is my main rig, also on 24/7.

bikerboy