Just built it, not booting.

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hiya, this is my first post. Here's my issue: I just put together a franken-puter for my buddy from some old parts, but I can't get it to work.

Components:
2.8ghz HT Intel P4
IC7-G Motherboard
1gb PC-3200 Dual Channel RAM
100 gB SATA HD
5500 Nvidia Geforce FX (I know, I know)
Audigy 2
Generic CD/DVD combo

Symptoms:
Upon pressing the "on" button, everything seems to power up. The lights (oooh, computer bling!) turn on, the fans spin (even on the old GFX Card), the HDD comes on, and the CD spins. The computer gives me one solid tone, and two lights come on on the mobo, a red and a yellow-green (can't tell because of the redlight right next door). [When off, all that is on is the one green light in the lower right corner (where the two are when on) and the network lights.]

However, nothing happens past this. The monitor registers no signal. When I plug/unplug the cable, the monitor clicks, so it's seeing the connection. There is no further activity in the HDD or CD Drive after the initial power-up.

More Info: As this has never booted, it is clean, unformatted, and has nothing installed.

EDIT: Here's what I forgot to say I tested:

Reset CMOS.
Tried using only one stick of RAM.
Tried OTHER stick of RAM, in new slot.
Tried other GFX card.
Removed Soundcard.
Swore at machine.
Jiggled all the cables and connectors
Reset CMOS again.
Swore at computer some more.

/EDIT.

Any help would be appreciated. He's counting on me to get this up and running for his Warcrack addiction.

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    well the only thing you didn't list is psu. i would look there first since it seems like this machine isn't getting enough juice.

and don't skimp on the psu. go for a quality brand like antec, enermax, ocz, fortron source, pc power and cooling, etc...
  • edited February 2006
    Do you have another graphics card handy that you can try, even an old pci variety. Not to run permanently, but to test and see if maybe the graphics card or maybe agp slot are fubar. That's the main reason I keep an old pci S3 virge card around still, for testing.

EDIT: I see you say your tried another graphics card, but my question is still valid. Was it a pci card so ypu could test to see if the problem is the agp slot?
  • edited February 2006
    Well, the PSU is a 450w that game with the case he chose, which was a Xion II. I'm going to try to replace it with another 450 I have lying around.

As for the GFX Card, I don't have any PCI cards left, unfortunately, so I can't check that. However, I will pull the card and simply listen for more activity, to see if the AGP slot is seizing up the system.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    sounds like it's the dreaded el-cheapo psu that came with the case. what's the brand of the other 450w you have?
  • edited February 2006
    ryko wrote:
    sounds like it's the dreaded el-cheapo psu that came with the case. what's the brand of the other 450w you have?

Unfortunately, it's another case PSU! I'm actually going to shut down one of my boxes and gank the Antec 480 Neopower that I use. I'll see if that works.

(I tried pulling the GFX card. No change that I could hear. Of course, it might just be that there's nothing to load yet.)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited February 2006
    Couple of comments.

1. Try another PSU
    2. Make sure the P4 4pin connecter is connected
    3. Reseat the cpu
    4. try the mobo, cpu and ram by themselves outside the case
    5. Try another graphics card.
  • edited February 2006
    Well, I found the problem. It was what I was hoping it WASN'T all along. When I went to reset the CPU, I found this really cute little brown mark on the bottom. Crap. So I grabbed another CPU from another box and slapped it in... jackpot. I'll just have to run to Microcenter and pick up a CPU tomorrow. That's gonna hurt my pocketbook. :grumble:

Thanks for trying to help, guys. I do appreciate it. :)

-Thanks again,
    Wodin
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Is this an ABIT MB? Just curious, becuase while ABIT is my favorite MB manufacturer, I have a kinda curse when I first build computers with them where it takes HOURS for me to get it to boot. BUT THERE WAS NEVER ANYTHING WRONG! Eventually it just magically starts working, but onl after like 6 hours of toying around. After that I can dismantle, throw around, blah blah blah and put it back together without any problems there-after.

Anyone else have this kind of issue?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    little brown mark on the bottom
    What, are you talking about, a burn mark on the CPU's heatspreader? A little too fast when installing the heatsink?

RWB, I know what you're talking about with Abits, but I've only had that problem with KT7-RAID, KT7A-RAID, and the NF7-S 2.0. I've built both an IC7 and IC7-G system. Both were silky, instant successes. The IC7, in my opinion, the best board I've every used.
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    What, are you talking about, a burn mark on the CPU's heatspreader? A little too fast when installing the heatsink?

RWB, I know what you're talking about with Abits, but I've only had that problem with KT7-RAID, KT7A-RAID, and the NF7-S 2.0. I've built both an IC7 and IC7-G system. Both were silky, instant successes. The IC7, in my opinion, the best board I've every used.

Yep, there was a little char mark between the pegs. That CPU came from a computer that went ker-fluey on a board blow out, so I think I just missed it when I went over the parts after the kB!.

As for the IC7-G, I've had it for a while, and I love the board. It's responsive and stable, and can be tweaked nicely. The only reason I'm selling it is because I went over to Dual Core AMD, and that's obviously noncompatible.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yup, burnt out for sure. It's a big sinking feeling, isn't it. Sorry to hear about it.
    o I think I just missed it when I went over the parts after the kB!
    I see. The time I destroyed a CPU was not quite so innocent as your event. Oh, well. Have fun with the IC7 for whatever purpose you put it to. If I were looking to build another Northwood system, I'd be bugging you now for that IC7.