eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N515-AX

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hello I want to upgrade my Graphics Card I bought a eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N515-AX
I have a ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard--- Well this graphic Card work in my system?

The Graphics card i have in now is a GeForce FX 5700LE.

Next question is do i use the AGP slot or the PCI slot ?

Thank you for the Help.

If you need More information please tell me.

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Man, I hate to break this to you but you have to have a motherboard that has a PCI-Express 16X slot to use that card.

This means that you'll need,
    1-new mobo preferably socket 939
    1-new CPU either a 939 Sempron or Athlon 64
    1-new PSU that has PCI-E power cables, dual 12V rails and a 24 pin ATX mobo plug. The Ultra X-2 is a decent choice.
    1-pair of PC3200-up ram. 2 times 1 gigs is a good size for maximum performance in games like Battlefield 2
  • edited February 2006
    :( Well thanks any suggections in a good Graphics Card for this Motherboard
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Bigred wrote:

Not sure what the best AGP Card is out right now. But I found a Geforce 6800GS which from reviews show it to be damned near 6800GT speeds but much cheaper. I also saw an X800XT.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Dude ...eVga has a limited special right now on the eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N518-AX.
    It comes with a free eVga Sli motherboard!

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=1909641&Category_Code=VC-EVGA-PCIE
  • edited February 2006
    Cool 360 dollars ///wife would kill me LOL But thanks for the feedback

I found a eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS CO AGP 8X 256MB DDR3

for a good Price but Question is CO means overclock but on there web site it says Super clocked I run two fans in my computer do you think I can handle this? and is this a good card? thanks again
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    CO means it comes with a copper heatsink. The cool thing about eVGA's factory-overclocked cards is that they're covered under warranty. I own an eVGA card and I can say without a doubt it's the best card I've ever owned.
  • edited February 2006
    I agree, my eVGA card is so durable I take it out of my PC to drive stubborn nails.

Well, not really but I've managed to avoid blowing it up!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Bigred wrote:

Check this out....
    Geforce 7800 GS AGP to officially launch next week

SURPRISE surprise. Nvidia's key partner BFG is already selling the still unannounced Geforce 7800 GS AGP card. A chap managed to buy one a few days back and he kindly shared some pictures and specifications with the rest of the world.

Nvidia will officially introduce this card on the 7th of February, and it is an AGP 8X card with 400 MHz clock and 1250 MHz memory speed but we know that different vendors will go for different specs. We heard that the 7800 GS AGP should end up faster than 6800 Ultra AGP card and in the USA it costs $350.

You can find more details here. µ

Anandtech did a prereview on this card and it falls between the 6800GS and 7800GT in speed.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19035&d=1138907509
    edited February 2006
    HardOCP: BFG 7800GS OC AGP review
    f you are still gaming on a 9700/9800 or 5800/5900 series video card, and are dead set against upgrading your motherboard, there is no doubt that the BFGTech 7800 GS OC is going to give you tons more performance than you have now and bring you into playing the most popular games that are out today with tons of eye candy turned on. However, if you have any of the newer midrange video cards it is hard to sit here and tell you to spend $350 on a new video card that cannot be brought over to a newer motherboard. By buying a new AGP video card, you are locking yourself into an aging system platform for that much longer. If you currently have a 939-pin processor, I think it is feasible to suggest that you could more wisely spend your $350 on a new motherboard and a new video card to go in it. Those of you with socket 754 processors will obviously not be afforded that option unless you want to lock yourself into another socket 754 motherboard which could further obstruct your upgrade path.

The Bottom Line

If the 7800 GS AGP had 4 more pixel pipes, or cost about $100 less dollars, we might be able to look you in the eye and say, “Go for it.” Overall, I think most our readers that are still using AGP systems would be better served by moving their upgrade path to more promising horizons. If you are dead set on staying in the AGP era, the BFGTech 7800 GS OC will surely provide you with a fantastic gaming experience…at a healthy price. And while technically this was not a hard launch for this product, many are already on retail shelves and sure to be for sale today at your favorite e-tailer.
  • edited February 2006
    Lamest review I've ever read in my entire life...
    edited February 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Lamest review I've ever read in my entire life...
    It was the first one I saw.... :rolleyes:

Other reviews....

TechReport
    PCperspective
    HotHardware
    Anandtech
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you all for the help But NEW product From EVGA

Introducing the e-GeForce 7800 GS

Still don't want to make the leap to PCI-E, but want kick-ass performance from AGP? Fear not. Help is on the way.

Boasting the 3D graphics features of today's most advanced GPUs — including full support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and true high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting — the NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GS graphics processing unit (GPU) allows you to experience the latest gaming effects without compromising performance. The GeForce 7800 GS also brings stunning, high-definition video and superb picture clarity with minimal CPU usage with NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology. For the performance and features you need to play the latest games and enjoy home-theater quality video, make sure your PC is equipped with a e-GeForce 7800 GS.
    http://www.evga.com/articles/276.asp

They have 4 new AGP cards starting from 325-400 dollars

So i think i may order one of these But thank you all for the help again
    edited February 2006
    Just as a suggestion...

Chaintech VNF4 S939 Mobo $71 shipped == PCPer recommendation

Newegg: 7800GT (20pipes) Lowest price $294 shipped

Total $365 shipped

Online the 7800GS (16pipes) is at least $340

TechReport Review: 7800GS vs 7800GT vs 6800GS

This review uses a overclocked 7800GS.... (400mhz vs 375mhz(stock))
  • edited February 2006
    Plus he'd need a CPU and PC3200...that's another $350-$400
    edited February 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Plus he'd need a CPU and PC3200...that's another $350-$400
    DOH! Forgot about that........ :rolleyes:

Actually it'ld be about $225...(2nd hand gear)
  • bloucksbloucks Missouri
    edited February 2006
    Ordering my EVGA motherboard/video card combo as we speak!!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    cool ...I'd like to see pics once you get it set up. :thumbsup: