ABIT NF7-S 2.0 w/ Silicon Image 3112 RAID 1 Setup Questions

SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys:

I've got 2x WD Caviar 120GB HDs that I want to setup for storing all my sensitive data, I have my bootable data and programs all setup on my 100GB C: drive now, Maxtor 100GB.

They are hooked up to the SI3112 now and running fine. How would I go about setting up the RAID 1 Mirror Array now, just through the BIOS and Format in Windows and then it should show up under Explorer since the Controller is already installed and functioning?

Also, once it is setup. If one of the drives dies, how would I be able to setup access to the other drive by itself while I get another one to resetup the RAID 1 Mirror Array. How would I replace a drive and recover if necessary at some point since this is the only reason I'm planning to set it up.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Comments

• SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    Does anyone have experience with a RAID 1 Array on another board and controller in creation and recovery, any tips would be appreciated before I go ahead at this. Want to make sure it won't be a hastle trading in and out drives to relocate the data.

Thanks again!
    Adam
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2006
    SmiGDig wrote:
    How would I go about setting up the RAID 1 Mirror Array now, just through the BIOS and Format in Windows and then it should show up under Explorer since the Controller is already installed and functioning?
    Correct. With the RAID controller enabled, enter the RAID controller BIOS (not the motherboard BIOS) and setup your RAID 1 array. You can then (if necessary) partition and format in Disk Management (Under Windows XP - Right Click My Computer - Manage - Disk Management). Job done.
    SmiGDig wrote:
    Also, once it is setup. If one of the drives dies, how would I be able to setup access to the other drive by itself while I get another one to resetup the RAID 1 Mirror Array. How would I replace a drive and recover if necessary at some point since this is the only reason I'm planning to set it up.
    Because each drive’s contents are identical to each other, if one fails, the system should continue operating on the remaining good drive. Once you've got an exact replacement drive you can simply install it and re-establish the array.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers
    edited February 2006
    Thanks so much Spinner.

Anyway to know if the drive dies other than wierd noises?
    edited February 2006
    SmiGDig wrote:
    Thanks so much Spinner.

Anyway to know if the drive dies other than wierd noises?
    Good question, I imagine there might be some hanging possibly in Windows, I've never had a drive die on me whilst it was in RAID 1, so I can only offer you my best guess. I don't think it would go unnoticed in Windows.

Cheers
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Spinner wrote:
    Good question, I imagine there might be some hanging possibly in Windows, I've never had a drive die on me whilst it was in RAID 1, so I can only offer you my best guess. I don't think it would go unnoticed in Windows.

Cheers
    If you are running the SI software it will alert you of any problems. :bigggrin:
    edited February 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    If you are running the SI software it will alert you of any problems. :bigggrin:
    I stand corrected. Thanks mate. :)
    edited February 2006
    I see. The program "SATARaid" allows you too see a whole bunch of information from the Silicon Image RAID Controller such as the drives on it and any arrays. In the configure you can have it email you if there are any problems and do on system popups with any changes in status.

A simple system popup will be plenty to notify me if my hard drive is dying.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    This doesn't address SATA RAID, but it does address your want to secure sensitive data, as you stated in the thread opener. If the goal if reduncancy or backup, then I think you RAID 1 is not the best solution. Why don't you just by an an external USB 2 enclosure for your your second hard drive and copy/backup your data to it on a regular basis. Keep the external drive turned off when you aren't accessing it, or better yet, store it in a location remote from your other hard drive.
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    This doesn't address SATA RAID, but it does address your want to secure sensitive data, as you stated in the thread opener. If the goal if reduncancy or backup, then I think you RAID 1 is not the best solution. Why don't you just by an an external USB 2 enclosure for your your second hard drive and copy/backup your data to it on a regular basis. Keep the external drive turned off when you aren't accessing it, or better yet, store it in a location remote from your other hard drive.

That woudl be a better solution. However, I already have the drives and don't fill them up completely, 2 x 120GB so this is a great way for data security improvement for my current setup, for no extra money.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Sure, a redundant, internal drive is better security than no backup at all. That's the way I used to do my backups. The chance of a catastrophic failure of both the drives at the same time is far less than failure of just one of the drives. But still, you could have a lightning strike or something like that. It's not as good as DVD or external hard drive backups.

I really do recommend saving your money to purchase an external enclosure and a high capacity drive. If you only back up your data weekly or bi-weekly, you don't have to have a high-performance drive. On sale, especially with rebates, 250GB new hard drives can be had for very low prices. With the enclosure, you can upgrade your backup drive whenever you feel like it, or even have multiple backup drives, say one for home, another for the office - nearly the ultimate in security.

Another advantage of an external backup is portabilty. With mine, I make complete system backups of my primary computer, the 'family' computer downstairs, and of the personal hard drive of my business laptop - different partitions for separate systems.

If you later chose to take this route for backups/data security, I would advise against buying any of the ready-made external systems. The software that's bundled with them is generally inadequate and their prices are way too high. You can do much better assembling your own unit.
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sure, a redundant, internal drive is better security than no backup at all. That's the way I used to do my backups. The chance of a catastrophic failure of both the drives at the same time is far less than failure of just one of the drives. But still, you could have a lightning strike or something like that. It's not as good as DVD or external hard drive backups.

I really do recommend saving your money to purchase an external enclosure and a high capacity drive. If you only back up your data weekly or bi-weekly, you don't have to have a high-performance drive. On sale, especially with rebates, 250GB new hard drives can be had for very low prices. With the enclosure, you can upgrade your backup drive whenever you feel like it, or even have multiple backup drives, say one for home, another for the office - nearly the ultimate in security.

Another advantage of an external backup is portabilty. With mine, I make complete system backups of my primary computer, the 'family' computer downstairs, and of the personal hard drive of my business laptop - different partitions for separate systems.

If you later chose to take this route for backups/data security, I would advise against buying any of the ready-made external systems. The software that's bundled with them is generally inadequate and their prices are way too high. You can do much better assembling your own unit.
    Sound advice Leo'. :)
    edited February 2006
    Yes I have en external case I would use, I'll just have to purchase a drive. I got a 100GB Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA133 for $37 with tax after rebate last week.

One problem with my RAID setup tho. I went into the RAID menu and setup a mirrored set, now it shows the source disk in windows explorer. I have tried to format it multiples times and everytime it finishes formatting and unable to complete format.

Any ideas?
    edited February 2006
    SmiGDig wrote:
    Yes I have en external case I would use, I'll just have to purchase a drive. I got a 100GB Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA133 for $37 with tax after rebate last week.

One problem with my RAID setup tho. I went into the RAID menu and setup a mirrored set, now it shows the source disk in windows explorer. I have tried to format it multiples times and everytime it finishes formatting and unable to complete format.

Any ideas?
    Try inserting each disk seperately onto the controller, as single disks, then format them each seperately, then re-setup your mirror array. Just a stab in the dark. :)
    edited February 2006
    Turns out it wouldn't format because one of the drives died.

The irony...

Luckily everything was backed up on another drive in my attempt to setup this mirror.

Also since I bought one of my WD Caviars at CompUSA with a rebate, it is a vendor product and WD won't RMA it. I have to through CompUSA. Too bad I didn't pay the $15 when I bought it for bogus warranty coverage.
    edited February 2006
    SmiGDig wrote:
    Turns out it wouldn't format because one of the drives died.

The irony...

Luckily everything was backed up on another drive in my attempt to setup this mirror.

Also since I bought one of my WD Caviars at CompUSA with a rebate, it is a vendor product and WD won't RMA it. I have to through CompUSA. Too bad I didn't pay the $15 when I bought it for bogus warranty coverage.
    Sorry to hear that bud, but yeah, that is ironic. Let us know how you get on. :)

Cheers