Where did all the points go?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Folding@Home
Seriously, I haven't lost any machines, they're all sending the results, but I'm averaging about 2000 points less than I was a month ago. Is it just a really crappy batch of WU's that are going around?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    I think this may be the cause if you have an intel farm :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    My points have taken a hit too. Most of my CPU's are Intel's.... of the 50, say 40 are Intel's....
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It seems a lot of folders have taken a hit for some reason! If you look at most folders we have all dropped!

JonsHandbrake- Went from 8000+ to 3000+
    DanG- Went from 4000+ to 2000+
    Team Short-Media - 90,000+ to 74,000+

The link above for the INtel issue??? isn't working
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Link was working for me. To sum up the issue, Stanford has temporarily pulled the QMD wu's for analysis. Checking what info they already have and possibly modify the cores (my take anyway) QMD's were only available to Intel machines and carried a 100% bonus (memory bandwidth requirements). They were fast and got a lot of points. If you could run them.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    SM_24's points have plumeted too. It misses the 600 pointers.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yup, I've taken a 60% hit on points.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    My points have been fairly stable, yet I have risen about five notches in the ppw average on the team. You can look at who runs which type of rigs (Intel or AMD) and see that the bulk of this is due to the hiatus in assigning QMD's.

The good news for the Intel crowd is that Stanford expects to begin reissuing them soon. The good news for AMD people is that timeless Tinkers (deadlineless WU's) will maximize your production. It'll all even out over the long run. :)
    edited February 2006
    You can look at who runs which type of rigs (Intel or AMD) and see that the bulk of this is due to the hiatus in assigning QMD's.
    That's a fact! :rant:;D

Prof, unless you have more recent news than I do, I wouldn't expect QMDs back for several weeks. Stanford has an enormous volume of QMD folding data to analyze. The also will be reforumulating the QMD work assignments to some degree. But yes, now is a good time be folding with AMD rigs.

Does anyone know what the current best strategy is for Intel dual core and P4 HT rigs? Is it still -advmethods and "large packets - yes"?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Does anyone know what the current best strategy is for Intel dual core and P4 HT rigs? Is it still -advmethods and "large packets - yes"?

AFAIK, leave the settings, I took large packets off on 2 and all I get are tinkers.

How well do your Intels do with tinkers?:bigggrin:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have two Intel P4 rigs here and they do not like Tinkers very well--more like fair to poor on Tinkers. They like the Gromacs families better.
    edited February 2006
    How well do your Intels do with tinkers?
    My experience in that past is that Intel P4s return more points with Gromacs of all types than with Tinkers. I haven't tried Tinkers lately. Maybe I should try again since QMDs are suspended and Double Gromacs haven't been seen in a while. These GbGromacs aren't very lucrative.
  • roland_dmproland_dmp Oklahoma New
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...and Double Gromacs haven't been seen in a while.

Interestingly enough I got a double gromac a couple days ago. Unfortunately it decided to download to my AMD instead of my P4 rig, so it's going to take about 5 days to finish.
    edited February 2006
    One of my P4HT rigs is currently working on two Amber cores. Points production looks to be about the same as GbGromacs.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    :-/ Well it was supposed to be joking. My Intel is avg. 9 min/frame on a tinker. (2.9ghz.). My Opty, 6 min/frame. (1.6 ghz.) My XP 6min/frame (2.3ghz.)

The last double gromac I saw was on my XP machine.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    There are some double gromacs being tested right now. That's about all I can say about that ...other than they're huge.
    edited February 2006
    Leo is happy now. :p
  • roland_dmproland_dmp Oklahoma New
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, they're huge alright - the one I'm folding right now (p2363) is worth 722 points. Each frame takes a little more than an hour on my XP 2.3GHz, and it uses about 30-45 MB of RAM.
    edited February 2006
    AAAH! I don't have any yet. Gimme, gimme, gimme. Sigh, just need to finish all these all these 118-point GbGromacs. Out with the appetizers, bring me some steak!
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    i gave my home machine one of the switches for large WU's and be and bothered have been going back and forth ever since, i might have to switch my p4 to it also.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Well I just had to know...

All of my intel machines seem to be stuck on these 188 pt GbGromacs. One of them was finishing up on the 1.6ghz P4 ( 82ppd ) So I reran -configonly and specified timeless WU and got a p1152 Tinker , now its ( 72 ppd )

Now I know...:rant: :shakehead :sad2:

I guess Gb Gromacs are better than tinkers for Intels.

Scott goes to change back to WU's with deadlines !

Scott
    edited February 2006
    ;D;D
    That's why I've just left my Intels on large units and -advmethods. Gbs are 'the enemy we know', which is better than the sTinker stranger we don't know. (AMD users' revenge, I tell you! And the tactic is working.:shakehead )
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ;D;D

Are you laughing at me Leo ????

Just kidding buddy

In another 26 hours it will be done with the "stinker" and I can get back to the Gb's.

9 machines
    4 intel 5 AMD

11 clients

one week ago 2250 ppd
    today 1411ppd

Scott
    edited February 2006
    9 machines...4 intel...5 AMD...11 clients...one week ago...2250 ppd...today... 1411ppd
    Such is the fate of all lying, cheating, low-life Intel users!

;D;D

Uh, oh, hmm...that would be me, too! :eek::hair::eek3:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Well, boys...

...you lie down with the dogs, you wake up with the fleas... ;D;D;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Well, boys...

...you lie down with the dogs, you wake up with the fleas... ;D;D;D
    So the doctor WAS able to rule out Crabs then.;D
    edited February 2006
    you wake up with the fleas...
    Better than sleeping with sTinkers!
    edited February 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    So the doctor WAS able to rule out Crabs then.;D

Well this has certainly taken a turn for the worst.....

Now where did that little comb go ?......Please pass the Qwell :eek2:

...Scratch...Scratch

Scott
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    All might not be lost, just picked up a double Gromac (p2392) it seems a little chewy. (667pts.) 1st frame took 50min. we'll see how it pans out.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Apparently my 3200+ likes Ambers, because it's going to be finished this one in less than 18 hours. I like 153 points in 18 hours :) But, of course, I'd like Tinkers, I finally did the whole shabang to get Tinkers more often than those silly Gromacs (which had me at only 112ppd)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Second Xeon picked up a dgromac, (2362, 723pts.) this beast is an hour a frame.