Finally joined the 64bit club... :)

XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Just upgraded this weekend from my venerable and aging NF7-S 2.0, 2500+, LeadTEK 6800GT AGP, and 1GB Samsung DDR3200 RAM to the following:

Asus A8V Deluxe v2.0
AMD X2 4800+
2GB Patriot DDR3200 (2-3-2-5)
Zalman CNPS9500 LED HSF
LeadTEK 6800GT AGP (decided to keep the video card since I just spent $300+ on it this past summer...)
Silverstone "Strider" ST56F 560W PSU
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
WindowsXP Pro 64bit

(I also kept my Thermaltake Xaser case, and my WD 250GB IDE hard drive... I'll probably upgrade to SATA drives in the future.. but I was tapped out after the above parts purchase...)

Whatcha think? Should this upgrade at least keep me floating for another year.. :)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Whatcha think? Should this upgrade at least keep me floating for another year..
    Unless you are into top 10% benchmarking bragging rights, I don't see why that rig wouldn't keep you happy for the next two or three years. Are you a top tier gamer, needing every last frame per second to be happy? Even if that were true, you still could upgrade in a few months to the 7800 GT(?) AGP card.

Very nice system. Should be very snappy.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Unless you are into top 10% benchmarking bragging rights, I don't see why that rig wouldn't keep you happy for the next two or three years. Are you a top tier gamer, needing every last frame per second to be happy? Even if that were true, you still could upgrade in a few months to the 7800 GT(?) AGP card.

Very nice system. Should be very snappy.

Not much of a benchmark braggart, but I am an avid gamer. I tried to get the best CPU I could at the time, just in case I am forced into going with a PCI-E system in the future. (I figure I should only need a different video card and motherboard if that were to come to pass)

I've held on to my aging NF7-S system for quite some time. I just felt that I was really starting to slip quite a bit behind the technology curve. I hope this purchase will help get me back into the swing of things. (Especially with BF2 and hopefully soon, Quake Wars..)