I love my new Opteron 170!!!

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
This thing is simply amazing! Even with 2 instances of folding running full bore, several web pages open, burning a DVD and doing some little things here and there this thing feels faster and smoother than just doing any one of the mentioned tasks by it self on any of my previous CPU's! While I have tried a little Oc'ing action, I don't feel the urgency to do it like I have in the past. This really beats out the feel of my previous X2 3800 like a big dog on raw steak. Even when I tried only a single app at a time it was smoother and I didn't feel any of the switching like on the X2, where it would just kind of studder one=ce in a while. Folding is amazing as I am now running two instances @ stock speed with almost the same speed as my highly OC'ed system running only one instance of folding. The two cores are folding the same Tinker within 3 seconds of each other and the average is only twelve seconds behind my OC'ed rig. :vimp:

Who else has seen or "felt" this difference? Please post away with your experiences. This is the biggest difference I have ever noticed between machines. I have no doubt that games will not suffer on here compaerd to my other rig or previous CPU.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'll tell you as soon as I get mine - it's on the way :rarr:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Since you've honored me with your avatar comments, I think I'm honor-bound to reply to your thread.

Yes, I experienced a huge difference in CPU/system feel when I built my 820D rig (sytem 4 in signature). Although it's a power hungry, heat belching beast, the dual cores, each with 1MB L2 cache make a big difference. I could run (when they were available) two QMD work units simultaneously, with other applications open, and there was no noticeable slowdown in anything. Like I wrote in a couple other threads, the dual core feel is like a big, torquey V-8 in a lightweight vehicle. Instant accelleration. There is no going back to single core.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Since you've honored me with your avatar comments, I think I'm honor-bound to reply to your thread.
    I am honored to be honored by your honor-boundness of feeling honored. :respect:
    Like I wrote in a couple other threads, the dual core feel is like a big, torquey V-8 in a lightweight vehicle. Instant accelleration. There is no going back to single core.
    Yes, that is exactly it. Except maybe a little closer would be comparing a 4 banger or V-6 4WD to a big block 4WD. It just feels unstoppable as opposed to 'can't quite make it up that big hill'. :headbange
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I got mine today. Just a few more days till the other stuff comes in :)

Opteron 170:

OSA170DAA6CD
    CCBWE 0546XPMW
    1375786L50535
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I got mine today. Just a few more days till the other stuff comes in :)

Opteron 170:

OSA170DAA6CD
    CCBWE 0546XPMW
    1375786L50535
    You lucky dog! You got a week 46. Tey are very good clockers!!!:buck:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    I told you you'ld love it!

MTG - Your Opty 170 should do HTT240 2.4ghz on stock settings and upwards of 2.6 with a slight boost in Vcore. But watch those temps, they'll skyrocket if your not careful.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Oh come on Larry you're running that thing stock clock?:nudge:
    That's like buying a corvetter or viper and driving the speed limit.