advice needed

CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi ppl. I need advice on what PSU I would need to run the following;

Floppy drive.
HD.
2 x DVD ROM drives.
ATI 9800 Pro graphics card.

Have 6 USB ports with one connected to a 4 port hub. All in use with only 1 of those being self powered.

Asus P4P800-X P4 3Ghz.

Thanks.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I suggest an Antec 480 for that, or a Channelwell Technologies 450 or even a 550 if the HD is big. The 550 will give more room for expansion, like a second large HD later.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    With those specifications, barring the addition of any voltage hungry upgrades, you could probably do just fine with a quality 430W PSU. None of the parts you've listed are particulary large power consumers. Look at my signature and you'll notice that with the three overclocked systems (high power consumption especially the D820 rig), all rock stable, none has a PSU rated above 460. But quality cannot be overemphasized. A good 430 is superior to a cheap quality 550.

Straight_Man's advice may be better though. It would be wise to have spare power for when you do upgrade, or for if/when you want to transfer the PSU to a new build.
  • edited February 2006
    Just make sure that you've got a good brand. I'm running the exact same setup as you, minus 1 disc drive, and I've only got a 400W PSU. Haven't had a single problem attributed to power.
  • CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it. I found this one which is close to where I live in Western Australia; http://www.vtechindustries.com.au/productinfo.php?id=FSP-AX400
    I have read that this is a good product and that this manufacturer actually understates the PSU's capability.
    Anyone think this one would come close??

EDIT. Anyone heard of Usicase / Shaw? I can pick up a 600W twin fan for $AUD59. Sounds like a cheapy, but what do I know :D.

EDIT EDIT. Also found a Thermaltake TR2-430W for $AUD79.
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited February 2006
    Crunchie,
    I've been using a 420W Thermaltake for about a year now and it's been pretty good so far. If you want quality get an antec might be your best bet.
    edited February 2006
    Well, I ended up going for an FSP-AX500. $AUD139. Now I don't know what to do with all the spare connectors :D. I haven't got PCI-Express or SATA drives, so I just cable tied them up. The voltages look a little better now, with the 3.3V actually reading a little higher rather than a little low with the other PSU.
    So, I have broken my drought regarding the changing of both a PSU and my HSF :D. I'm quite chuffed.
    Next one is the graphics card. I have a Radeon 9800 with Arctic cooling in the mail which should be here mid next week. That will account for one more power connector anyway :D.
    Included a snap of the finished work. Screen shot of the MB monitor too.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    Crunchie, that PSU was a good move. Blue Storm (FSP) work very well. The Shaw is just a cheap generic PSU. Both prices you quoted are the same as from "Storm". :smiles:

I know as i was at the Welshpool store today.

Spotted someone trying to sell a Shaw, brand new, for $150AUD, hehehe. That was on the Bargain Board.

Jon

Westfield, near Kelmscott.
    edited February 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Crunchie, that PSU was a good move. Blue Storm (FSP) work very well. The Shaw is just a cheap generic PSU. Both prices you quoted are the same as from "Storm". :smiles:

I know as i was at the Welshpool store today.

Spotted someone trying to sell a Shaw, brand new, for $150AUD, hehehe. That was on the Bargain Board.

Jon

Westfield, near Kelmscott.
    I was there myself today. That's where I bought it :). Saw the store online and rather than order one over the net, I decided to take the trip in with my daughter (who loves to shop at the Carousel, which is where we ended up :D).
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    Cool........would have been good to catch another Short-Median locally. :smiles:

Wasn't there for long, bought 2 KVM switches and a 1400va UPS. Straight in, straight out. All part of the secret project.:cool:

Jon