the best dvd writer i can get, what are my options?

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited April 2006 in Hardware
ive been looking at internal dvd writers

cost aint really an issue (how snobby does that sound!) because all the ones ive seen so far are within my price range

so far i have been looking at the benq dw1655

i was thinking though, i dont really need the lightscribe feature. is there anything better than that model?

i was using an nec nd2500a but it recently started clicking and doing all sorts of strange thing and through talking to a technician he came to the conclusion it was time for a replacement

i am living in the uk so if anyone could make some suggestions taking that into account i would be most grateful

thanks all:thumbsup:

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    i own a BenQ 1655 lightscribe burner, its pretty awesome.

the lightscribe function takes about 25 minutes to burn a full image on the top of a CDR for me, i havent been able to find LS DVDs yet, i also have a Pioneer 109-B which is badass also
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited February 2006
    ive also just been looking at the plextor px-750a as well

looks neat

anyone got one of those?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    Plextor
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Plextor
    GrayFox has recently learned to voice-mimic humans. He has some crude, but cute sign language as well. :bigggrin:

GrayFox, when you say "Plextor", does that mean you endorse Plextor as a choice of DVD writer for djshowdown?
    edited February 2006
    yeah does it?

ppl feel free to add your 2 pence worth

or your 2 dollars or yen, i dont discriminate:thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    to give you some sort of guide as to what im looking for

i burn audio cd's on a very regular basis and also burn dvd's alot too

i use my burner for back up purposes (when i can remember, doh!)

i also use it to watch dvd's on my pc as well

so basically it needs to be able to do everything to a high standard
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    GrayFox has recently learned to voice-mimic humans. He has some crude, but cute sign language as well. :bigggrin:

GrayFox, when you say "Plextor", does that mean you endorse Plextor as a choice of DVD writer for djshowdown?
    I said it more as if I was casting a vote for it :p.

So obviously I ment endorse plextor, If you have the money for them there the best.
    edited February 2006
    im very tempted to just order this px-755

i may also invest in some ram

are overclockers.co.uk a good company to buy from?

there 2gb ocz gold ram kit looks decent
    im thinkin to invest

and to think, i actually believed i would still have money left at the end of the month
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    GrayFox, I figured that's what you meant. It just looked funny with one word as a reply, "Plextor".
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Still the NEC drives.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    the new benq and the new nec are basically the same drive. both are good choices.

never found the need to splurge for a plextor as other drives offer the same performance/features for much less. seems pointless to pay for the plextor name alone.

lightscribe also seems nice, but i haven't found the need to invest in it yet...sharpie works fine for me!
  • roland_dmproland_dmp Oklahoma New
    edited February 2006
    Armo wrote:
    ...i also have a Pioneer 109-B which is badass also
    I'm in love with my Pioneer 110D as well! I even gave it it's very own 80 wire IDE cable so it can live up to it's full potential - Ultra DMA 4.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Plextor hasn't been the best in the business since the day of the 40x CDRW wars.
    Pioneer stopped being the best when the NEC ND-3520 was released.
    NEC has maintained the crown since.
    edited February 2006
    ok now im confused

can anybody who is suggesting nec give me some model numbers to look into?
    edited February 2006
    ok im now looking at this nd-4550

price is around about 30-35 quid

can it do everything that the plextor one can do?

if so then i may just go with that
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    edited February 2006
    any particular reason why i would want that one as opposed to the other ones mentioned here ryko?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    it is probably the best one on the market right now....

it's affordable and it's quality, i have 2 of them and haven't burned a single coaster in 200+ dvd+r from ridata.

i think the nec 4550 is the UK equivalent of the 3550??? could be wrong on this though.
    edited February 2006
    3550 SPEC

DVD RW ND-3550

Picture of DVD RW ND-3550

NEC’s speeds up DVD writing with third generation 16x writer

· Slashing dual-layer burning times by up to half

· Increasing the CD writing speeds of the industry-leading 3520A from 24x to 32x

· Faster minus dual-layer recording, from 4x to 6x and quicker plus dual-layer recording, from 4x to 8x*

· Providing the flexibility to choose between all formats and media without compromised performance

NEC (UK) Ltd today announced the launch of the ND3550A, its third-generation 16x DVD writer. The new model delivers faster plus and minus dual-layer recording and improves on the CD-RW speeds of its predecessor, the NEC ND3520A.

The new drive supports all available DVD and CD formats (with the exception of RAM), offering the ultimate in flexibility. With the fastest CD-RW burning capabilities of any DVD writer on the market, it is a versatile and cost-effective solution for burning CDs as well as DVDs, with no compromise on performance or capacity.

Incorporating patented NEC technology, this latest device provides a high-speed, high-capacity, reliable solution for a wide range of applications; from backing up CDs, video collections or backing up hard drives. The new drive enables 1 hour of DVD Video to be recorded in just 6 minutes, and allows users to store up to 8.5 GB onto one DVD disc.

Andrew Wyllie, Business Manager for NEC’s Data Storage Business in the UK, commented: “NEC is poised to become biggest supplier of DVD RW drives in the UK this year. This success in optical storage underlines the importance of our ongoing commitment to R&D and our proven ability to deliver high-performance products which meet customer demands. The ND3550A offers the fastest available DVD recording speeds and we are looking forward to seeing rapid uptake from consumers that recognise the quality that NEC provides.”

The ND-3550A incorporates NEC’s ‘high resolution writing strategy’ and ‘Active Optimized Power Control’ (Active OPC) to enhance the quality of written data. Active OPC dynamically monitors writing power and reflection of the media in use, calculating the optimum laser power and adjusting it in real-time, to overcome issues such as fingerprints on a disc.

The new device supports Windows 98SE, 2000, Me and XP and 2003 server. Windows NT 4.0 is also supported if the video editing function is not required.

The ND3550A will be available in beige, black and silver.

Product Specification
    Dust protected enclosure
    Emergency eject
    IDE/ATAPI interface with UltraDMA33
    Internal 12/8cm CD and DVD drive
    Tray loads mechanism supporting horizontal and vertical use
    Access Time (CD): 140 ms
    Access Time (DVD): 160 ms
    Audio: Digital-out and line-out at the back (MPC Compatible )
    Burst Transfer Rate: PIO Mode 4 / Ultra DMA 33
    Cache: 2 MByte
    Compatibility: MPC Level 3, MultiRead, PC2001
    Dimensions: 148mm x 42mm x 190mm
    Interface: IDE / ATAPI
    Mechanism: Motorised tray load mechanism for horizontal and vertical use
    Media/Mode Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R9, DVD+RW, DVD-Video, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, Photo CD, Video CD, Hybrid CD
    Transfer Rate Read CD: 48x max
    Transfer Rate Read DVD: 16x max
    Transfer Rate Write (CD): CD-R: 48x, CD-RW: 32x
    Transfer Rate Write (DVD): DVD-R: 16x, DVD-R DL: 6x, DVD-RW: 6x, DVD+R: 16x, DVD+R9: 8x, DVD+RW, 8x
    Weight: 0.9kg
    edited February 2006
    4550 SPEC

Anti-dust seal
    Emerency eject
    MultiRead compliant
    PC 2001 Certification
    Vertical operation possible
    Access Time (CD): 140 ms
    Access Time (DVD): 160 ms
    Audio Connections: analog- and digital output
    Dimensions: 148mm x 42mm x 190mm
    Interface: IDE/ATAPI Ultra DMA 33 mode 2
    Media Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RAM, DVD+R(9*4), DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW with 80mm and 120mm diameter
    Memory: 2 Mbytes
    Modes Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD Video, CD-DA, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-I, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, Photo-CD, Video CD
    PIO Mode: Mode 4
    Transfer Rate Read CD: 48x max
    Transfer Rate Read DVD: 16x max
    Transfer Rate Write (CD): CD-R:48x, CD-RW:32x
    Transfer Rate Write (DVD): DVD-R:16x, DVD-R DL: 6x, DVD-RW:6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD+R:16x, DVD+R9:8x, DVD+RW:8x
    Weight: 0.9kg
    Writing Methods - CD: DOA (disc at once), SAO (session at once), TAO (track at once) with zero gap, variable or fixed packet, multisession
    Writing Methods - DVD: Random writing (DVD +R/+RW, DVD-RAM ver. 2), Sequential writing (DVD +R/+RW, DVD-RAM ver. 2), Incremental (DVD-R/-RW), Multi-Border (DVD -R/-RW) and restricted overwrite (DVD-RW)
    edited February 2006
    they seem to give a bit more info for the 4550
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    looks like the 4550 adds support for DVD-RAM burning. other than that they are identical. if you need DVD-RAM compatibility then go with the 4550. otherwise you might be able to find a deal on the 3550.

(p.s. looks like the 4550 is the same as the benq DQ-60.)
  • edited February 2006
    BenQ...great features, great pricing, excellent customer service and support :cool2:
    edited February 2006
    im so confused!!!!!
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    what's confusing?

the nec and the benq are identical drives---either one is your best bet.
    edited February 2006
    my confusion is that ive got plextor, nec and benq to choose between

i spose i have had decent-ish luck with nec, in that, it has only messed up now after just under two years.

however my plextor drive is still going strong (bearing in mind it hasnt had nearly as much use)

my list so far then is:-

plextor 755a
    nec nd-4550
    benq ????????

i havent looked into benq yet
    could someone give me the equivalent model to those i have mentioned?

by the way i really do appreciate you guys help
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    the BenQ 1655 is what i have its a 16X burner with light scribe capability
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    it's not that complicated...

plextor = overpriced
    nec = good
    benq = good

nec 4550 is the same physical drive but with different markings as the benq DQ-60, so either one is a good choice.
  • edited February 2006
    What about LiteOn?
  • edited April 2006
    ryko wrote:
    nec 4550 is the same physical drive but with different markings as the benq DQ-60, so either one is a good choice.

to my knowledge these two drives are NOT identical
    benq dq-60 = sony 820 = plextor 750 = teac 516e :cool2:
    djshowdown wrote:

my list so far then is:-

plextor 755a
    nec nd-4550
    benq ????????

1. the plextor 755 is a genuine plextor drive (unlike the 750), but it is not faster/of higher quality/or in any other way superior to most other drives - it's average and very expensive

2. nec 4550 is a good drive, but if you consider it for the ram-writing you're better of with an LG drive, such as the GSA-4167B or the successor GSA-H10N (12x ram-writing)

3. if ram is of no big importance for you, take the benq dw1655. no ram, but very high writing quality at all speeds, even on cheap media. also a very matured drive (an improved version of the legendary 1640) and good firmware support.

in short:
    ram drive - go for an LG
    no ram - go for a BENQ (not the 1670 - probably not available anyway...)

:cheers: