Confused about AMD Athlon 64 processors...

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I thinking of buying THIS processor cuz its the cheapest i could find. (do u guys think it is a good idea.... or should i go with dual core since vista is coming out soon?) Here are the specs

CPU...............................Athlon64
Processor Speed .............64 3200+ / 2.0GHZ
Socket / Interface...........Socket 939
Bus Speed......................2000Mhz
Additional Technologies.....HyperTransport

What im confused about is the speed of this thing... is it 3.2 GHz or 2.0GHz? My friend tells me it is 3.2GHz cuz of the 3200. But here it says it is 2.0GHz. If He's right, then what does the 2.0GHz represent?

also, would this be a decent cpu for games and stuff....after all it is 2.0+ ghz which is pretty fast. I think all the more expensive cpu's are a waste of money... am i right?

thx

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's 2 ghz and yes it's a good chip and it overclocks as well as the 3500. The only advantage to dual core is multitasking ...so you probably don't need it if all you do is game and surf and stuff.
  • edited February 2006
    i see...then what does the 3200 represent?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Short history:

Intel has long been a proponent of more megahertz = more performance. In the last couple of years, this claim has been shown to be more hype than truth. AMD has long been strong on innovation, where high performance IS obtained through superior engineering and design, not necessarily through higher processor frequencies. AMD started using a naming convention several years ago. That naming system rates a CPU, comparing it to the performance of a Pentium 4 (previously Pentium 3). Therefor, if an AMD processor is named for instance "3200+", it should have roughly the same processing power as a Pentium 4 clocked at 3200MHz (3.2GHz). So yes, the GHz rating and CPU name of an AMD processor are two distinct identifiers. For perfomance estimation, use the rating, as in "3200+". Many people look at a system's specifications and assume that the MHz rating of the processor (CPU) is the end-all-be-all concerning the speed of the computer. Not so at all. That would be like shopping for a car, assuming that the max RPM of an engine was all one needed to know about the power of the car. (Huge bulldozer and 18-wheeler truck engines run at very low RPM, much lower than a tiny economy car. No one claims the big diesels aren't powerful.)
  • edited February 2006
    i have the same proc. and i overclocked it to 2.5ghz. it is a very nice proc. and has meet all my needs.

bikerboy
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Short history:

Intel has long been a proponent of more megahertz = more performance. In the last couple of years, this claim has been shown to be more hype than truth. AMD has long been strong on innovation, where high performance IS obtained through superior engineering and design, not necessarily through higher processor frequencies. AMD started using a naming convention several years ago. That naming system rates a CPU, comparing it to the performance of a Pentium 4 (previously Pentium 3). Therefor, if an AMD processor is named for instance "3200+", it should have roughly the same processing power as a Pentium 4 clocked at 3200MHz (3.2GHz). So yes, the GHz rating and CPU name of an AMD processor are two distinct identifiers. For perfomance estimation, use the rating, as in "3200+". Many people look at a system's specifications and assume that the MHz rating of the processor (CPU) is the end-all-be-all concerning the speed of the computer. Not so at all. That would be like shopping for a car, assuming that the max RPM of an engine was all one needed to know about the power of the car. (Huge bulldozer and 18-wheeler truck engines run at very low RPM, much lower than a tiny economy car. No one claims the big diesels aren't powerful.)

That is a perfect short history of AMD's PR system. So for example to further this discussion, my Athlon X2 3800+ is actually only 2GHz as well, but it's rated at 3800+ and not 3200+ the reason being that my X2 is a DUAL CORE, meaning I have two processors running at 2GHz.

Gaming wise with these new processors, anything above 2GHz should be fine with a good graphics card. I can OC my X2 3800+ from 2GHz to 2.5GHz and not notice too much of a gain in performance for most games becuase they rely mostly on the graphics card and not so much on the CPU.:wink:
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    dont no how the thing would do but try newegg for cheaper prices - - but im guessing you already tried?
    edited February 2006
    i have a 3500+ venice and just got it a few weeks ago. check it out here. if you're willing to spend a few more this thing overclocks like hell. im at 2.8 so far and running 43 C at max load with an aftermarket cooler. (I'm new to this but im thinking thats pretty good?) I'd think that with the stock cooler you could go from 2.2 to 2.3-2.4.
  • edited February 2006
    i haven't tried newegg cuz its american... the site i posted was canadian and showed canadian dollars. even if there was a canadian new egg site...i cant order online cuz my dad doesn't think its safe to give credit card number online :wtf:
    edited February 2006
    NewGuy wrote:
    i haven't tried newegg cuz its american... the site i posted was canadian and showed canadian dollars. even if there was a canadian new egg site...i cant order online cuz my dad doesn't think its safe to give credit card number online :wtf:
    awww that sux how old are u? anyway just go for the 3500+ venice. itll be $40 american dollars more tops, but its nice and oces more than any other core from what i can tell with my research and expirience
  • edited February 2006
    i am 18, but i dont have a credit card, so i gotta use my dads. but i ended up buying the 3200+ :o because the 3500+ costs $55 more (canadian), and i don't know how to overclock... but thanks for the advice
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I just bought the exact chip you have over Christmas and I love it. It's been nothing but beautiful for me. I think you'll be very pleased.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    NewGuy wrote:
    i am 18, but i dont have a credit card, so i gotta use my dads. but i ended up buying the 3200+ :o because the 3500+ costs $55 more (canadian), and i don't know how to overclock... but thanks for the advice
    Here's a little review of the +3200 I came across ...enjoy!
  • edited February 2006
    Here's a "how to" overclocking guide written by our very own LemonLime:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

It should be able to teach you everything you'd need to know. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2006
    I have created this thread at xxxxxxxx, about AMD processors,
    [link removed by moderator]

No one really knows the MS Vista PC hardware requirement, but its not gonna be cheep.
    Like 2GB ECC ram, 256 MB Graphic card, new monitor and more.

Edit, I replaced the site text with xxxxxxxx.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Esso, welcome to Short-Media.

Since you are completely new member with only one post as of this writing, I consider your link to another site to be SPAM. I will though, give you the benefit of the doubt and not ban you from Short-Media in this case.

It is policy at Short-Media to not allow linking to other computer tech sites if it appears the reason for the link is merely to drive Internet traffic in that direction. That does appear to be so in this instance.

I have removed your link. If you still think the linked site provides important information for Short-Media members, then you may include it IN YOUR SIGNATURE, but NOT AS THE MAIN POINT of a POST.