Which Memory to upgrade with?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
This is my system and its information from the provider:
Powerspec

These are the results of a Crucial.com scan of my system.
MSI (Micro Star) Computer Model MS-6533
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
CPU Speed: 1693 MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Currently Installed Memory: 256 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity :2048MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots :1 [the used slot is: 256MB Non-parity DDR PC2100
Further, Frank Delattre's "CPU-Z" program from cpuid.com notes that its PC2100 (133MHz) and in the "SPD Timings Table" it has columns labeled "Frequency 100MHz" and "133MHz" , with CAS# Latency's of 2 and 2.5 respectively.

I also added an AGP graphics card, so that should be lightening the load on the RAM I think.

Ok, now that that's out of the way.

I see here that I can get a second 256MB chip for around 20 bucks, or I can get a 128MB chip for something like 13 bucks.
Is either going to make much of a difference? Should I just get one of the 512MB chips for around $40? Or does anyone here think that I won't seen much of a difference between 512 and 128?

Is it perhaps not even worth getting the 128?

Is there anyway to increase the speed of a front side bus? is it something that can be swapped like RAM??

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    You will notice a definite difference by doubling your RAM with another 256MB module. To avoid possible incompatability with the other 'stick' of RAM already in your system, try to match what you've got as closely as possible. Get yourself another module of PC2100, 256MB CL/CAS 2.5. The reason you are shown two values, 2.0 and 2.5 for SPD is that at a speed of 133MHz, the "CAS" latency (a timing) will be set automatically at 2.5, and will be 2.0 at 100MHz.

Thank you for showing most of your system specifications. That made it much easier to provide you a reasonable opinion. By the way, your computer is not a Microstar/MSI. That is the brand of the motherboard inside your computer. You have a good motherboard, which should accept another RAM module. Just to reiterate, ensure that your RAM is PC2100, 256MB, CL/CAS 2/2.5.

If you will be buying the RAM for a shop, as them if you can return it if it is incompatible with your system. If that turns out to be the case, then you could return and spring for that 512MB module.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    If its using ddr ram, you should buy some pc3200, just make sure the pin count is the same. I'd suggest checking out the companies OCZ and Corsair. I really like their products, and have had good experiences with them.

you can get a 512mb stick pretty cheap now. Look on www.newegg.com and I'm sure youl find the stuff you need.
    edited February 2006
    Oh, good point on the DDR. I think it would be easiest and the least expensive for Eidmar just to stick with the same type RAM he already has. If he is still disatisfied with performance, he could buy DDR PC3200.

BTW, here's MSI's specification page for the MS-6533 motherboard.
  • edited February 2006
    If he gets PC3200 that does Cas 2.0 at PC2100 speeds and Cas 2.5 at PC2700 speeds (like the Crucial I had) it would be just fine with his current ram and not be a limiting factor should he choose to upgrade to something requiring PC3200 in the future.
    edited February 2006
    But for $20, would you agree that Eidmar should just try an additional module of PC2100? It just seems to me like that would be a big performance increase for only a few dollars.
  • edited February 2006
    Not really when for $36 he could get 512Mb of PC3200. That board has 2 dimms and filling his slots to capacity with ram that will force him to replace one of them with a larger dimm in the future (should he decide 512Mb is too limiting) is really throwing good money after bad. In 512Mb dimms that G-Skill is the same price or cheaper than the next cheapest dimm of ram and the next dimm up is PC2100.

I spent well over a year with 512Mb of ram in my rig and while I'll be the first to admit it's far better than 256Mb I'll also say that 768Mb is far better than 512Mb.
  • edited February 2006
    Wow, thanks guys, this is all proving very helpful.

Leonardo, what do you mean by the board is not microstar? I don't understand.

My concern with getting anything with a faster speed than pc2100 right now is that, according to the people at crucial, i need to make sure that the speed can even be used by the board, and they recomend sticking with whatever speed of ram is being used with the board when it was purchased. So pc3200 and the like seems a bit iffy to me.

I had contacted powerstar asking them if this board needs 'doubles' for ram, haven't heard back, but I guess it must not if there's only one chip in there. Maybe I will get that 512 chip to sit along side my 256.
  • edited February 2006
    PC3200 is backwards compatible so it'll run at PC2100 speeds, PC2700 speeds and PC3200 speeds. Your ram shows to do either PC2100 or PC1600, see my point?
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo, what do you mean by the board is not microstar? I don't understand.

Let's try that again: Your computer is not a Microstar. The motherboard inside your computer is a Microstar MS-6533. If you go to Microstar's site and look up your motherboard, you should be able to download a motherboard manual for it. It will answer many of the questions you have about RAM. Not that we aren't willing to help - we are. The manual will help you understand your system, especially the motherboard much better.
  • edited February 2006
    A manual, really? I didn't realize I could get that. Sweet. Thanks everyone! This has helped out greatly!
    edited February 2006
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I understand. Most people who are accustomed to off-the-shelf computers, or sometimes even custom computers, have never seen a motherboard manual.