Continuous Loop Problem At First, Now Nothing?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Your memory should be fine...

edit: The only issue I might watch out for is whats outlined in this picture of your current motherboard. Check your case in the area where the stuff outlined resides...see if the case plate that surrounds that area is changable, it should be but if it's not you might have to do some modding in that area of the case to fit a new motherboard.
  • edited February 2006
    sdgcan wrote:
    Your memory should be fine...

edit: The only issue I might watch out for is whats outlined in this picture of your current motherboard. Check your case in the area where the stuff outlined resides...see if the case plate that surrounds that area is changable, it should be but if it's not you might have to do some modding in that area of the case to fit a new motherboard.
    I'll go ahead and buy it then so thanks for the help!
  • edited February 2006
    DumNDuMMer wrote:
    I'll go ahead and buy it then so thanks for the help!
    I need a new power supply with a new motherboard, why does life have to be this way? :confused: I had it all planned out perfectly, just replace the motherboard and voila, it's alive! but no. The plug to the power supply seems burned out (like it melted), as well as the slot where the plug of the power supply connects to (also looks like it melted). To the trash it goes, I'm only going to keep the drives, hard drive and anything else I can use on a future machine. For now, my present computer will do. Thanks to all I bugged for help :hiding: :type:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    the conector was melted? that could have been your problem. if your mobo got fried, who knows what else did. not to hex you or anything. just sayin.

I dont know if you could have reused the psu anyway. since some manufacture use proprietary equipment.
  • edited February 2006
    DumNDuMMer wrote:
    I need a new power supply with a new motherboard, why does life have to be this way? :confused: I had it all planned out perfectly, just replace the motherboard and voila, it's alive! but no. The plug to the power supply seems burned out (like it melted), as well as the slot where the plug of the power supply connects to (also looks like it melted). To the trash it goes, I'm only going to keep the drives, hard drive and anything else I can use on a future machine. For now, my present computer will do. Thanks to all I bugged for help :hiding: :type:

So it booted with a new motherboard then fried itself or are you just noticing now that the plug on the old motherboard is melted ?

Edit: Would make no sense to buy a Mobo AND a PSU, I mean look what you can get for 99 at Tiger Direct ! Sure no screamin eagle but for a plain jane home\work machine...sheesh how can you beat that.
    edited February 2006
    i think its melted on the old mobo, if im reading correctly.
  • edited February 2006
    sdgcan wrote:
    So it booted with a new motherboard then fried itself or are you just noticing now that the plug on the old motherboard is melted ?

Edit: Would make no sense to buy a Mobo AND a PSU, I mean look what you can get for 99 at Tiger Direct ! Sure no screamin eagle but for a plain jane home\work machine...sheesh how can you beat that.
    What I meant to say is that the motherboard was fried to begin with, that I barely noticed now, that's why I said that I need a new motherboard along with a new power supply.
    That looks pretty good, I'll look into that, thanks again!
    And for the record, both were melted:scratch:
    Note:learning to use the "Edit" button for airbornflght's sake, lol
    edited February 2006
    hey.. um not to start yellin or anything. but there is an EDIT button. it looks like this if you havn't seen it before. just makes things easier to read for the reast of us instead of 3 sequential posts. CLICK ME!!
    edited February 2006
    dude, im just joking. take a breather.
  • edited February 2006
    New question regarding the HD of my no-good HP Pavilion machine. It has XP Home Edition installed, I hooked it up to my Compaq Presario and it loaded up just like any normal computer, the thing is that it has a user account with a password. I asked the person I got the computer from and the guy said he forgot the password, and well I want to see if there was a way to restore XP on the HD (leave XP installed on the HD for my next machine). I figured it would be like doing a factory restore but I wasn't able to do that. I tried the recovery disc that came with the Compaq machine but it didn't work. I also tried the recovery discs that came with the HP Pavilion machine, but those weren't no good either. If I can't restore XP on the HD (to get rid of the password-protected user account), would I then have to wipe the HD clean and re-install XP?
    edited February 2006
    well, heres how it is. your hard drive as it is now, is set up for your old mobo/proc/chipset and has all the drivers from it installed, if you try to hook it up to your new hardware (mobo/proc?) you will most likely get a blue screen of death.

I'm pretty sure that you can do a repair install or something along those lines, but I usually take the liberty of doing a format and clean install. youll be amazed how much quicker it will go/respond. that is, unless you have any data on the hard drive that is irreplaceable such as pictures.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    I went from an old Via KT-133 based MB to an nVidia chipset A64 system with just a simple Repair Install. Nothing to it. :)