Mobo dead, need to transfer RAID 0 Raptors

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Of all the things to go wrong. My system is up and running fine for ages, and one day I guess I had too much static from walking around the room. Nothing intentional or anything, just freak accident. Anyway, upon connecting my ipod shuffle to the usb port on my tower, it sparked. The system shut down instantly. To the best of my ability, I can tell that the mobo is fried (turn on the comp, everything powers up but blank screen - no response from BIOS or anything) and possibly the processor and other components.

I'm ready and willing to replace the damaged parts, but my concern is of the data. I have 2 WD Raptors in a SATA Raid 0 together, which contained my c:\ and other partitions. How can I replace the damaged components and still recover my data and hopefully the xp pro installation and admin my docs files?

Backup is a must next time, I know.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Tex, where are you?

We've got a drives/RAID expert here. He's bound to show up.

If your array is still good and the files unmolested, it would seem to me you could pop the array (both disks) right back into a repaired system. Assuming the system had the exact same configuration for motherboard and RAID card/chip, your array should fire right up. I can't say that as a fact, but it's my bet. If you destroyed some of the operating system files, you'd still have a chance I think, by using WinXP repair installation. Whole point, if the files are intact enough for the two disks to be seen as an array instead of two separate disks, you should be OK.

Was this array set up through your motherboard BIOS? If yes, than your replacement board would need to have the same BIOS and the same RAID controller/chip/card.

But let's wait for Tex.
  • edited February 2006
    Thats what I figured. I still haven't looked around for a new mobo, but if i can't find one with identical settings, will there be a way to recover the data? I'm pretty sure that the data on either raptor didn't get corrupted, but without a system to boot them from I have no way of knowing.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    My recomendation before going any farther is to individually test all the parts individually. If the CPU, memory and vid card checks out remove the motherboard from the case and test it with another power supply. Then test the power supply from your system on another board. this will let you know EXACTLY what is and isn't good. Make sure when disconnecting your hard drives that you label which one was connected to which header

Next
    What make and model is your board? Sometimes you can get away with a swap from the original to another of the same but it is extremely dicy at best. I have seen arrays moved from one controller to a similar model with no problem and also from one of the same to the exact same controller with it all completely lost forever. Basically your odds would be better if you went swimming off the Barrier Reef with a flesh wound to not be attacked by a shark than to keep what is now apparently lost. Try the above first before panicing and we (or some others) can see what can be done.