500W FSP Blue Storm PSU
2 x 512 OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 D/C Plat. Rev 2
4 x WD 200Gig Sata
6600gt 256Mb
16x LG DL Dvd
Floppy drive (yes, old school)
Onboard Nvidia raid 0+1

Every so often she locks up.
Turn it off at the front. Turn off PSU and drain power in system.
Turn PSU power switch back to ON and puter starts up without touching front button.

Also....at times IE6 is "very sorry but has to shut down"(yeah, right!!). Send reports to MS.

When doing a manual shutdown via "start/turn off computer", it goes slowly through "saving settings" and than hangs at "windows is shutting down".

Googling came up with the exact problem related to OCZ PSU's. Since i have a Fortron, i don't believe this is my issue.

Checked settings in every nook and cranny that google could throw at us.

Increasing the MFT zone has been a nightmare.
Edited the registry to force shutdown. This worked for a while.

There are lots of niggly problems, yet i'm posting this message on this computer.

Through all of this, the raid array has remained healthy.

Any thoughts, hardware/software??????

Oh, and it still F:fold:LDS.:smiles:

edit...ram memtest for 24hrs, not one error.:smiles:
Ran prime95, no problem. Now running CPU Burn-in.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The startup thing is a msi issue and they have had it since the NF3 days. I have the same board as you and it's doing the same thing.

As for the instability, check with memtest over the night, then run Prime 95, custom torture test for another night. If that passes, it's a software issue i think.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yep, I had the same issue with an MSI nForce4 and had it replaced :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I tried reading the question, but was unsure. I have a problem similar to bootup issues. When I try to turn off my computer, ACTUALLY SHUT IT DOWN. It will shut down for a couple seconds, but then turn right back on. I have the flip the power switch on the back and keep it powered down for a moment then flip it back on so the computer doesn't boot back up. If I leave the PSU switch off, then when I wanna turn the computer back on, it can take a long time for it to power up. It's like it has to CHARGE itself up after flipping the swtch back on. The power button won't work for upto a minute at times.

I've got a system for it now though. Leave it on and let it fold :P
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

To date we have run Memtest, Prime95, CPU-burn. Not a problem there.

A while ago, Sally removed all of Norton's stuff. SystemWorks, GoBack, NAV, etc. This has made a HUGE improvement. No lock ups sofar.

Research indicates problems with Norton products and raid arrays. It appears this may be correct in our case.

IE6 shutting down is a seperate issue, we believe. When the message "needs to close" came up, i tried to "debug", which promptly shut it down anyhow. When i reported it and closed the message screen, it carried on ok, even bringing up a new window from the link i clicked on.

To give strenght to our theory, Sally is putting the same Norton products on her main computer which has been rebuild with 4 x 200Gig SataII drives in raid 0+1.

.......Immediate problems, like lock ups when booting up. Norton GoBack is the cause at this stage. All options available are locking up too.

We're in for another interesting day.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I was running an MSI 945P Neo-F (I945P chipset) for a while in my D820 rig. On restarts and after BIOS tweakings it would completely stop - fans and everything, then out of the blue restart. It never damaged any system files or reset anytning in the BIOS, it was just strange.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    Sally found a fix to get past the lock up problem. Through DOS, remove the GoBack entry from the MBR.

The day is improving.:smiles: