-TEAM ISSUE- Notable Milestones

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
Dear Team #93 (Short-Media),

The Team #93 Committee has noticed a drop in participation within the Notable Milestone area. We believe that this may be due to the number of milestones issued every day and losing the notoriety of a “milestone”. The committee has been discussing the possibility of reducing the number of recognized milestones.

By definition, a Milestone is “a significant point in development.(Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary) The Committee intended the “Notable Milestone” to recognize outstanding achievements and promote a sense of team spirit. A milestone recognition table was created based on average points per member and the time required to reach certain levels. Currently, there are almost 50 recognized milestones (First Work Unit through 5,000,000).

The Committee has decided to bring to you, our members, a request to spreading out the milestones, thus reducing the overall number of milestones. The following are the proposed 18 recognized milestones:
Our hope is that with the milestones spread out, a milestone will become unique and significant. Since the milestones will be spread out, there will be fewer milestones posted and, hopefully, more members would be willing to read and offer their support to the milestone recipients.

Please vote and offer any comments. The Committee appreciates your time and support…. Thank you.

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2006
    I'l be there to post when I can :thumbsup:

I like the spread out aswell :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'd like to commend Profdlp for the OUTSTANDING work he has done concerning the Notable Milestones area.

While none of the Committee members are paid for their work, Prof has gone way beyond what has been historically expected. He tries to recognize every milestone with the same level of enthusiasm while trying not to sound like a broken record. This poor man even feels guilt when he misses a day worth of milestones. God forbid if he's sick or in the hospital....

Prof... THANK YOU!!!
  • edited February 2006
    im all for it. i try to get in there as much as i can but lately havent been able to.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Is the prof bot running low on red bull?

Seeing all the work he does in the milestones forum, I completly agree that there are too many milestones posted by him. If the number posted by him does go to the above format, it should be stressed to everyone folding that if they want to toot their own horn for whatever milestone they want, it is encouraged.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I think a change is for the better!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I agree - I think it would get the milestones more attention if there were less of them. Plus, prof needs a little bit of a break!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I say you should do a scorll team Milestone thing, Kinda like a stock ticker, I know id be hard but nodoy else would have it
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    I think the proposed changes would be positive. Everyone likes getting milestones, but I think it will simply make each milestone more meaningful. More people will send their congratulations, and it will be much less demanding on the staff.

I'd also like to echo QCH's comments about Prof's hard work and dedication in the milestone forum. I couldn't begin to imagine the time he puts in every day posting those milestones. I think the fact that he has 8,500 posts under his belt (an average of almost 9 per day since 2003) really says something! :respect:
  • roland_dmproland_dmp Oklahoma New
    edited February 2006
    I'm new to the forums, so I'm sure my opinion doesn't weigh as heavily as some of the SM Elite out there. But, I too agree with spreading out the milestones a bit.

I'd also like to note my observations on prof. For the month or so I've been perusing the forums, there has been nothing but glaring evidence of the pure dedication and scrupulousness that prof provides to Short Media every single day. I feel that the forums would only be a shadow of what they are today without his hard work! Thanks prof!

:clap::clap::clap:
    :cheers:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yea I think a change in intervals would be great!

As a regular supporter of the milestones I will be the first to agree that sometimes the amount of posts that come through are quite overwhelming and can take quite some time to post in all of them. How Prof manages to do what he does without missing a beat just amazes me :wow2:

So I would like to offer my feedback with regard to the intervals. This I am basing on my experience as a relative newbie.
    Understandably, the new folders must be encouraged to keep going as the experience and concept is new and they require more encouragement than the hardcore folders who have been around forever.
    However as a newbie to the forums, the amount of posts on the site was overwhelming and it took me weeks to realize there was a section dedicated just to milestones. I think I missed my first 3 milestones :scratch:

I would even go as far as doing away with the 3000 and the 7500 and giving our folders who have a few hundred thousand points under their belt, a bit more recognition. It must get hellovu lonely at the top and to only get an official recognition after folding for months, in some cases years, sucks.

Lastly and I stand to be corrected, but the last official trophy or plaque is presented at 100 000 points. I know Prof puts together a very impressive and personalized post for those who have achieved in excess of that, but there is no official, standard item that gets presented.
    Lets face it, not too many people can boast 1 000 000 points. Those who have been folding for years would be able to tell us many stories of self sacrifice and dedication in keeping their rigs folding at optimum outputs.

I would like to see some of our talented Photoshop artists come up with a design that we can use to honor our million point achievers. Then maybe put it in a sticky so we can all refer to that for inspiration. I know it will motivate me.

Well that's my rant. Please don't all kill me at once :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'm all for the changes too. I usually don't follow the scores that often but every so often I notice I have a lot of points and figure I should drop a line in my milestone thread.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited February 2006
    So far, I love all the ideas and comments. I would LOVE to see someone come up with a Million Point Award. Heck, we may make it a competition with REAL prizes. We'll see....

Winga... The committee battled for minutes :) over the spacing and determined that it was a bit much to have a 2K, 3K, 4K. We also realize that new folders are the most likely to drop so a little nudge at 3K is a nice "Almost to the Bart Williams Award". The 7.5K is the same.... After 10K, most folders are hooked and the next biggie is the mighty 25K.

As for the top end boys, myself included, we’re lifers. I'm not in this for just the recognition. I'm a promoter, a supporter, and a motivator of Folding. The recognition is nice, but helping new folders, being on the committee, and seeing new guys get a GREAT start... that is my "High". Beside, I feel bad sometimes, that I get recognized for a milestone. I am lucky to have PC's at my disposal where the "common" person may only have 1 or 2 PC's to fold on. I want them to feel at home and not feel overwhelmed with my score. Our team has lost some big hitters and the team survives. Why? We have a great team of smaller folders that we are able to keep around. Many teams have tons of members that hardly fold. Not us. We fight as hard to keep folders as we do to get new ones.

Last… The Committee has other plans to help motivate members privately. We plan on private messaging members to give a little pat on the back for just being great team players.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Well, I'm still a newbie so I would not notice the change.
    I'm still working on my first milestone and the Prof does work hard enought
    trying to help people.
    He put GREAT effort into this forum and its shows so if it will make things
    alittle easier on him I'm for it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    First, thanks for all the kind words. I've lost more loved ones to cancer than I care to think about and my mom is a cancer survivor, so it's my pleasure and privilege to do what I can to help this important project. The best way I can magnify my own efforts is by encouraging others to join in the cause - and stick with it. Posting the Notable Milestones is just another way that I'm fighting back against disease.

As for reducing the number of milestones, it is not because I am overwhelmed or burned out. I could keep up with the load as it is now without too much trouble. The problem is that with todays more powerful computers, coupled with larger WU's, it has made goals which were once incredibly difficult much, much easier.

When the 5,000-Point BWA was designed it was intended to honor Team 93's topmost members. When I took over the Notable Milestones position in August of 2003 we had only a few members in the 20K+ range. In March of 2004 we introduced the 25K Folding Star award to honor the cream of the crop. By July of that year the 100K Plaque was designed. With room for fifty names we thought we would be set for quite some time. Today, we are on Page 3 of the Plaque and it is filling up rapidly.

Our teammate csimon became the first person to hit 1,000,000, which occured in April of this year. Today we have eleven members above that level and within a year that number will be over twenty. We just keep piling up the points. :D

The hope here is that we can make each milestone a little more special by spreading them out a little bit, while still providing frequent encouragement to new members and to the teammate Folding on a single computer. No matter what, you can be sure that every person who participates in this project is making a difference. All you need do is take a look at the impressive list of Research Papers already published to know that we are providing science with the data needed to change our lives - and those of every generation to come after us. :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I say yay to the proposed change!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    First things first.

We would like to pass on our gratitude to Prof for all the work he has/is putting into the Milestones. From what i have found looking around, NO Team has what Team #93 has...........a person like our Prof.:rockon:

Unbelievable dedication, constantly putting up milestones with a great sense of humour.:thumbsup:

Secondly, we concur with the idea of changing the Milestone frequency. I guess it's easy to say when one is doing as well as what we are.
    The idea is for a Milestone to mean something. When we started a few years ago, the points system was nothing like it is today and was even a lot lower prior to that. Milestones took a lot longer to achieve, which is not to say they mean less today than they did then.

From Perth DownUnder you get our vote.

Jon & Sally
    edited February 2006
    Good start.... any other comments or votes?
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited February 2006
    I voted to change to the new system. All I can say is Holy Westlake prof - your doing a great job. Jack
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    I feel it's time for a little re-vamping. The Stanford points system isn't the same as it used to be. Just check the team stats page, compare the points vs. the no. of wu's completed. I passed Jumpin' Jack a while ago, right now I'm 40,000 points ahead, he has completed almost 12,000 more wu's than I have! I just happened to show up when the wu's were worth more.

Plus my old age is starting to shine through when in a single day I can welcome somebody to the team and congratulate them on both their first and second cogs. Get's kinda confusing.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Donut wrote:
    ...I just happened to show up when the wu's were worth more...
    Believe it or not, in the early days there were WU's which were worth less than a whole point. Can you imagine seeing a thread in the Folding Forum where someone is asking how long it will take to finish the .8 point WU they just started? :eek3:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Like I said, they're worth alot more now.:cool: (actually I think you had pointed out the very low point values to me a while back.) I just happened to check the stats and noticed the count from some of the team that have been here from the begining. Jumpin'Jack has 12 THOUSAND more wu's than I do, THAT'S hardcore!:rockon:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Like I said, they're worth alot more now.:cool: (actually I think you had pointed out the very low point values to me a while back.) I just happened to check the stats and noticed the count from some of the team that have been here from the begining. Jumpin'Jack has 12 THOUSAND more wu's than I do, THAT'S hardcore!:rockon:

A case in point would be sm27. Jon must feed that rig Vegimite all day. :D
    It has completed over 85 000 points and has only folded 195 work units!
    If you project his points to 550 000 he would have made that score by folding a mere 1260 WU's. Now THAT'S hardcore!!
    edited February 2006
    Tomorrow I will close the poll. I was hoping for a bigger turnout. We have 276 active Folding Members. Not sure how many of them are Active Forum members but I was shooting for around 50 votes...

Any remaining comments?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Any remaining comments?
    Those not voting in the poll probably don't even know this thread exists. (We need to come up with a team information group email.)
    edited February 2006
    Prime and Shorty did a Mass emailing last year to kick off the "2005 Rally"....
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I would even vote for fewer milestones than those...
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2006
    I think a worthy cause should be kept worthwhile- and if it has an element of fun for all involved ... I personally find that icing on the cake. Some find it in pounding out points, others in the technical challenge, some in being able to take a measure of satisfaction in the milestones posts. Whatever, it's nice to at least have a place unusual enough to care about where a chunk of my power bill goes every month. :bigggrin:

I applaud this- I think it helps the system stay in touch with current and evolving reality. It also makes life worthwhile again for all our millionaires. :rolleyes::cheers: As a matter of fact, I hope VERY soon we might revisit this again for 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50,000,000 milestones.

I also think the feedback is more appreciated when the milestone is more significant and I personally think it makes it easier to post something more meaningful in congratulations.

If there is any improvement to a Notable Milestone Forum of this nature to be made that I might suggest, it would be that it would welcome and allow the inclusion of any significant steps being made towards a cure. While I do not think we have anyone here who might keep us apace of what that is, should someone decide to ... .

Of course, we'll have to flood primes' webspace with congrat's if they do nail a cure. Now that makes every single point worthwhile.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Change it (After my 400K milestone of course :) )
  • Venz-DirgeVenz-Dirge Silicon Valley
    edited February 2006
    While everymilestone is a good one, this penut in the gallery would agree, that the sheer number of milestones is overwelming...

I would say however that for the sake of getting people hooked..that care should be taken to keep the early milestones acheivable...and spread them out more as the numbers get higher...

when i first started folding, I checked everyday to see what progress I had made towards those milestones...now a few months into it, you'd have to kick me off the team to get me to stop anyhow.

BIG props to Prof for his hard work in this project. I wish I contributed as much.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2006
    Venz Dirge wrote:
    BIG props to Prof for his hard work in this project. I wish I contributed as much.

Speaking of whom- who is conspicuous by his absence here- I hope he is just taking care of business or taking a break. Last time he went missing- just hope he's Okay.
This discussion has been closed.